Found amazing history of the N.T

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detectist said:
Started reading from p130. Interesting. I noticed too a bit earlier in the book when the author (wife of the SA Governor at the time I think), mentioned it was not unusual for people to travel 60 miles each way in a buggy to go to a dance - which often ended up as all nighters. I've seen similar "dance reports" among the early settlers here too.

Mum told us stories of when she was thirteen they (her and her sisters) took the horse and buggy from Bonang to the dances in delegate, about 40 klm and how they tipped the buggy over one night and battered and bruised continued on to the dance then returned to Bonang in the early morning hours. No road then just bush horse n cart tracks.

I know of that here is SA.

The original hall on a property was just a shed 12' x 20', a social get together dance place, it was at a family home along a track that the locals used to get from the farms to the main road, there was permanent water there from a sump.
Then it moved to a main road for better local access 10yrs later in the early 1900's.

Families would walk, ride or buggy to get there, sleeping overnight under peppercorn trees most times, then travel home, awesome stuff to learn about.

That hall is still used, first Sunday of the Month, over a hundred years of Country Community use.

:)

Latest posts