fools gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishermandan said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats GOLD right there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seen this coming :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry Dude :lol: :lol: :awful: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fools Gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't mind the fools, I'm sure they were born brilliant geologists and have become experts in every other field since!

I was fooled by fools gold swimming with snorkels and and flippers in creeks around Walhalla in the late 60's' Did get some when my mother rinsed out my grubby clothing in the laundry sink-addicted way back then.

Dave79 said:
Don't mind the fools, I'm sure they were born brilliant geologists and have become experts in every other field since!

chuckles I got sloping shoulders its all good, I'm new now i know, its all a learning curve
thanks for sticking up for me

Dan,
A quick observation from your photo's of the pans.
You are not getting the heavies separated, what you have swirled to the other side of the dish is the mica which has a SG of under 3.
More practise and it will come.

Hi Harald, your right was what i had in the BIG pan yesterday,i used a small pan for the rest of the day and really was so much easier to handle im getting better and down to the very fine black sand still holding some heavies but nothing like before, im using another sample from another spot on the lease would be nice to get a bit of gold so i know I'm on track.
I'm thinking if i don't find anything will start looking for another lease

cheers for checking back

Fishermandan said:
Dave79 said:

chuckles I got sloping shoulders its all good, I'm new now i know, its all a learning curve
Dude dave was not sticking UP for you :rolleyes:
She was having a crack at Me :Y: :lol: :lol:
Long story :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But really Dude how many other members told you it was :poop:
:D Good luck :Y:

Fishermandan said:
seems like fools gold by new pics my friend but i have learnt so much from all this so thank you for going out of your way for me :gemstone:

Just keep dollying up the quartz and you will find some with gold, quite often the real clean milky white quarts is barren but not always, mostly the dirty looking rotted decaying type quartz is the stuff that has gold.

This type of stuff had heaps of gold in it
1643628661_219261303_4361789683858185_5536539785194007653_n.jpg

came out of this hole, and there are a few smaller bits sitting on the coil
1643628734_216471040_531662918153345_1944834662846542704_n.jpg

this has been dollied down a bit, but needs grinding down to powder before panning
1643628899_218355659_522185259028196_5843866697673128250_n.jpg

cheers dave

dam it said:
Fishermandan said:
Dave79 said:

Nods very slowly I know he/she was beside the other members were taking the time to explain the finer points of panning for a N00b not mocking me being new to prospecting ponders not sure i remember you going out of your way to explain anything you have learnt from prospecting
did you :cool: many thanks for your laughter at my expense

davsgold said:
Fishermandan said:
seems like fools gold by new pics my friend but i have learnt so much from all this so thank you for going out of your way for me :gemstone:

Just keep dollying up the quartz and you will find some with gold, quite often the real clean milky white quarts is barren but not always, mostly the dirty looking rotted decaying type quartz is the stuff that has gold.

This type of stuff had heaps of gold in it
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...03_4361789683858185_5536539785194007653_n.jpg

came out of this hole, and there are a few smaller bits sitting on the coil
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...040_531662918153345_1944834662846542704_n.jpg

this has been dollied down a bit, but needs grinding down to powder before panning
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...659_522185259028196_5843866697673128250_n.jpg

cheers dave
mate that's such good advice, i just started on another sample with more quartz,
I will crush up some and see what's and pan it out, and not have to worry about a lot of dirt in the pan
thanks again mate your help is really appreciated

Hi Dan, if you are going to be crushing quartz down to a fine grit or powder just keep in mind to try not to breath in any dust from the quartz, silica dust is not good for the lungs so it might pay to wear a dust mask or consider the wind direction when crushing.

Good luck with it and no doubt you'll find that first bit of gold in the pan soon enough.

Fishermandan said:
dam it said:
Fishermandan said:
Dave79 said:

Nods very slowly I know he/she was beside the other members were taking the time to explain the finer points of panning for a N00b not mocking me being new to prospecting ponders not sure i remember you going out of your way to explain anything you have learnt from prospecting
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No worries :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is still a good laugh :lol:
Now dust yourself off & get over it :sunny:

ProspectorPete said:
Hi Dan, if you are going to be crushing quartz down to a fine grit or powder just keep in mind to try not to breath in any dust from the quartz, silica dust is not good for the lungs so it might pay to wear a dust mask or consider the wind direction when crushing.

Good luck with it and no doubt you'll find that first bit of gold in the pan soon enough.

very good point mate, seems dust mask i have a lot of today, i spent a decade underground first 5 years was like what silica next 5 years wear a bloody mask, thanks for the heads up ill do it in my shed away from the house

dam it said:
Fishermandan said:
dam it said:
Fishermandan said:
Dave79 said:

you're not going to upset me, spent 20years as an HD Diesel mechanic working with real men 10 years underground as a diesel drill fitter, but still waiting to see ya stuff your expert mining capabilities just seeing your keyboard warrior status and emoji king lol.
I dont take offence here have a beer on me :beer:

Fishermandan said:
dam it said:
Fishermandan said:
dam it said:
Fishermandan said:

you're not going to upset me, spent 20years as an HD Diesel mechanic working with real men 10 years underground as a diesel drill fitter, but still waiting to see ya stuff your expert mining capabilities just seeing your keyboard warrior status and emoji king lol.
I dont take offence here have a beer on me :beer:
:D Was not trying to upset ya mate . Just a little banter .
But what do you mean real men ?
What do you mean , My expert mining capabilities ? Youre only new so maybe scroll back before you joined & have a read , Ive help so many other members
teaching them how to use there detectors , the amount of people I have taken out and put in the right place to get :goldnugget: You just may be surprised .
The keyboard warrior status !!! Dont start name calling , And emojis are there to be used :eek:
Peace :Y:

Got a few PMs from a few members and a good link of a guy who did a whole series of basic panning vids, so i cleaned out my washtub and added dishwashing liquid to fresh clean water, cleaned up and my gear.

As Davsgold suggested i crushed up a heap of quartz and panned out what i had, this was so much easier panning in a clean environment and seeing what i was doing although the 4 pans i did i found no gold as yet if i do will be posting up some pictures.
thinks i got the panning down pat now and the next few days will hone those skills so im even better, all a learning cure and glad i started this thread

just want to say thank you to all for all your comments and help and suggestions and special thanks to those who sent PMs

1643787202_dscf1662_resize.jpg

1643787254_dscf1664_2_resixe.jpg

Since gold, from what I know is not magnetic (could be wrong). Would it be worth running a magnet over what you have panned?

I don't think it is magnetic, i did run a magnet over the first few pans and it didn't pick up anything, i still have a heap to go through i will keep cracking on
besides the more, i pan the better I surely will get

Latest posts