Fishing/Gold Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave's Office

Have Detector Will Travel
Reaction score
Righty O Then, just some observations and conclusions from a an old fisherman from Kangaroo Island that took up gold detecting a couple of years ago after years of badgering from my brother from Western Australia. I thought "Gold Digging" would be as boring as bat shit but he said "just think how excited you were when you caught your first big Snapper, well it's heaps more exciting than that.He talked me in to going over to the Lannacoorie Bash with him, he paid of course, and I hired an old Whites detector from "Edd Sherrin" AKA Dean from Dunnolly. I can't remember what day it was but I found a tiny piece of gold in Nuggety Gully, well as they say the rest is history. The only downside to this new obsession is that I've only been able to go three times because of our new found Companion ]:D and our Premiers, anyway if anyone is interested I think finding gold is not unlike finding fish, you need to be on the right bottom for what you're looking for, the fish are here for a reason, you need the right technology to find them and you have to have the patience and put in the time or you would be better off doing something else. That's my 2 bobs worth, now it's time for a beer :beer: Cheers and a Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all.

They can be quite similar in a lot of ways.

Gold & fish can not be in todays spot, but move a tad the next day & you hit paydirt.

Weather can help your odds, fish with an erratic barometer & rain uncovering enough soil to enable a find.

Some days are donuts, and other days you bag out.

but the important one for me is:

People say "you did not catch any fish or find any gold this time...god thats boring". To them I say "what is boring about fresh air, beautiful views like snow capped mountains & standing in a gushing stream inches away from catching a wild Trout, or in our unique Australian bush with native animals knowing I may be inches from the nugget of a lifetime. Life is not about always getting everything that you want every time, but at least I am living & enjoying my life & stopping to take notice of the beauty that surrounds us, rather than whingeing about not getting what I wanted"

Here endeth the lesson.

fwdoz said:
They can be quite similar in a lot of ways.

Gold & fish can not be in todays spot, but move a tad the next day & you hit paydirt.

Weather can help your odds, fish with an erratic barometer & rain uncovering enough soil to enable a find.

Some days are donuts, and other days you bag out.

but the important one for me is:

People say "you did not catch any fish or find any gold this time...god thats boring". To them I say "what is boring about fresh air, beautiful views like snow capped mountains & standing in a gushing stream inches away from catching a wild Trout, or in our unique Australian bush with native animals knowing I may be inches from the nugget of a lifetime. Life is not about always getting everything that you want every time, but at least I am living & enjoying my life & stopping to take notice of the beauty that surrounds us, rather than whingeing about not getting what I wanted"

Here endeth the lesson.
Well said!!

Dave's Office said:
Righty O Then, just some observations and conclusions from a an old fisherman from Kangaroo Island that took up gold detecting a couple of years ago after years of badgering from my brother from Western Australia. I thought "Gold Digging" would be as boring as bat shite but he said "just think how excited you were when you caught your first big Snapper, well it's heaps more exciting than that.He talked me in to going over to the Lannacoorie Bash with him, he paid of course, and I hired an old Whites detector from "Edd Sherrin" AKA Dean from Dunnolly. I can't remember what day it was but I found a tiny piece of gold in Nuggety Gully, well as they say the rest is history. The only downside to this new obsession is that I've only been able to go three times because of our new found Companion ]:D and our Premiers, anyway if anyone is interested I think finding gold is not unlike finding fish, you need to be on the right bottom for what you're looking for, the fish are here for a reason, you need the right technology to find them and you have to have the patience and put in the time or you would be better off doing something else. That's my 2 bobs worth, now it's time for a beer :beer: Cheers and a Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all.
You still on Kangaroo my cousins there.

Newprospect said:
Dave's Office said:
Righty O Then, just some observations and conclusions from a an old fisherman from Kangaroo Island that took up gold detecting a couple of years ago after years of badgering from my brother from Western Australia. I thought "Gold Digging" would be as boring as bat shite but he said "just think how excited you were when you caught your first big Snapper, well it's heaps more exciting than that.He talked me in to going over to the Lannacoorie Bash with him, he paid of course, and I hired an old Whites detector from "Edd Sherrin" AKA Dean from Dunnolly. I can't remember what day it was but I found a tiny piece of gold in Nuggety Gully, well as they say the rest is history. The only downside to this new obsession is that I've only been able to go three times because of our new found Companion ]:D and our Premiers, anyway if anyone is interested I think finding gold is not unlike finding fish, you need to be on the right bottom for what you're looking for, the fish are here for a reason, you need the right technology to find them and you have to have the patience and put in the time or you would be better off doing something else. That's my 2 bobs worth, now it's time for a beer :beer: Cheers and a Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all.
You still on Kangaroo my cousins there.
I'm now living at Goolwa where the River Murray meets the sea, it's on the South Coast about an hours drive south of Adelaide, it's every bit as nice as Kangaroo Island and as a matter of fact quite a few former Islanders have moved to this neck of the woods. I still get back to the Island regularly to catch up with friends and enjoy the great fishing, my next trip is February for 3 weeks. Cheers Newprospect :beer:

Great place Goolwa. Went there for a week early last year, swapped a week of our time share for one there when we could finally escape Dan's on/off lockdowns. We had a great time there and so much to do and see along the Coorong and Fleurieu peninsula and yet still close to Adelaide. Found it hard to get past McLaren vale and Currency creek wine regions. A real stopper though was the Port Elliot bakery - the sausage roll I had there was the biggest and best I have ever had. Would've bought some other goodies there but the queue out the door was about 50M long by the time I finished.
On a geology note we stopped off to see Selwyn's rock which is a large "erratic" rock moved by ancient glaciers that covered the area. Going down into the creek we also saw the scratches in the bedrock caused by the glaciers.

fishing, golf, prospecting, women, motorbikes, fast cars, pay rises, lotto wins... the list goes on. Only takes one win and ya hooked for life!

Latest posts