Fisher Gold Bug 2 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one, very sensitive to tiny gold .... lots of manual ground adjustment required, beyond gold hunting I found it's use to be limited!

The "expertofequipment" list needs a good deal of updating.

I would check on Makro Gold Kruzer .... Makro Gold Racer Pro .... and ... Whites Gold Master 24K, you might find they are better value purchased in Australia than the GB 2 purchased in USA.

You got Mail.

I have had a gold bug 2 for a few years now.
Dont take offence, but you can't compare this unit to a gpx series, or an SDC.
Perhaps on price only at the most.
Depth on a minelab of these series will out do a bug.
Sensitivity, the SDC will match it easily, yet punch deeper on the same size target deeper.
The bug runs a very high vlf, and basically becomes a mineral detector.
So trying to run it at 100% sensitivity will make it noisy in most ground.
Why is an aldi detector so quite.....? Simply becausec at its low khz, it wont pick up mineralization as easy.
But the bug allows you to crank up sensitivity to the max most of the VLF's in suitable ground.
They have been around for 30 plus years, so that speaks for itself.
But they are no comparison to and SDC, thats closer to being a fact than opinion.
The bit extra for an SDC will be your best and cheapest investment in the long run.
Especially if you decide to sell it in time. The SDC will keep much better resale value than the bug.

mudgee hunter said:
Sensitivity, the SDC will match it easily, yet punch deeper on the same size target deeper.
Why is an aldi detector so quite.....? Simply becausec at its low khz, it wont pick up mineralization as easy.
But the bug allows you to crank up sensitivity to the max most of the VLF's in suitable ground.
But they are no comparison to and SDC, thats closer to being a fact than opinion.
The bit extra for an SDC will be your best and cheapest investment in the long run.
Especially if you decide to sell it in time. The SDC will keep much better resale value than the bug.

What he said :Y:

The Gold Bug 2 with the 3x6.5 coil is strictly a tiny gold hunter in the first 3-4 inches of soil is it don't expect anything else out of it. And like the above posters mentioned, its manual controls, so you will be doing a lot of manual ground balancing as you detect. Newer vlf machines like the gold monster 1000 have auto ground balance which operates in all modes all the time, and it also has auto sensitivity in some modes. I owned a GB2 for several yrs and was very successful with it on tiny gold from one grain nuggets to 5 grain nuggets was about it.

The bigger machines often will not pick up this small gold so its good to own both.

I suspect the heading of this thread has caused a little confusion. Looking at the Kellyco website, the only fisher sold using the word combo is the Gold Bug Pro with a twin coil pack. From what Ive read the GB Pro is also sold as the Technetics G2, an auto ground balancing 19khz machine. As for the comment that it competes with PIs for depth, I suspect you read that in Steve Herschbachs review of the GB Pro where he states In all metal with the 11x7 DD it approaches PI depths on most average sized gold in medium to mild ground.
I have no reason to doubt that assessment but ground conditions in the US are totally different to ours.
If my budget allowed for a GB pro or no detector, Id grab it with both hands. But thats just my opinion.

mudgee hunter said:

The only machines that can come close to the GB II when it comes to Tiny Gold are the GMT, GMT 24k and the GM1000 and the Nokta/Makro machines, The SDC will not match either of them when it comes to very Tiny Gold within the top 2 to 4", As for the Depth on other size Nuggets none of these machines will match a PI like the SDC In Hot or Normal Ground.

I have found bits of lead weighing as little as 0.0001 oz with the GMT, That is equal to 0.002 grams But the GB II is really too hot for Aussie Dirt even though it does work there The ground noise will be hard to live with, And there are better VLF/HF machines out there that would be more suitable, And High frequency VLF machines can punish you where as the SDC would be the better option when it comes to hot ground.

If he really wants a VLF he would be better off going with a mid frequency machine, :Y:

I think the biggest mistake made by bug2 users is running them at max sensetiviy on high mineralization ground.
Put it this way....
Buy a cheap Aldi detector say and run it on the beach...
The low kHz freq can't even pick up the salts etc...
The bug2 will go nuts!
It always best in any detector to run MAX sensitivity where possible.
The bug2 offers probably one of the higher freq etc available.
Simply Back the sensetiviy down a bit till manageable!
They give off a twin squeak with hot rocks often.
You will notice a milli second of mute when sweeping over a hot rock sometimes.
Like a double tweek.
Move on....

Latest posts