FIRST TIMER 4WD ADVICE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having reached (Old Fart) retirement age, have decided to take up detecting as a hobby. Something have wanted to do for 40 years, but you guessed it, never seemed to have the time. Main considerations are obviously which detector (2300) seems to be the favoured implement, but which vehicle to avoid getting stranded in the bush. Was leaning towards a Land Cruiser, had an LC 100 from 2004 to 2013 without a single problem. Was hoping to get a used car for a reasonable price, however the cars depreciate very slowly & you don't have to go back too many years & you regularly see 1/4 million k's on the clock. Starts to defeat the reliability basis for getting the car in the first place.
My current car is probably due for renewal anyway, but don't think I can stretch to the LC 100 so am thinking about the Prado. New model has an additional 20kw.
Would appreciate any advice. Was considering getting a set of steel wheels with off road tyres along with the purchase that I could put on for any bush trip. Is this a good idea or unnecessary?

Welcome to the forum Scoopy.

I have a 2013 Prado. I bought this model as I did not want the troublesome DPF models that came out in 2015. Had 30k on the clock when I got it, now on 72k.

Fuel economy is excellent when towing & enough power for the job. Most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned & makes driving long distances easy.

My additions have been an additional fuel filter & a tow bar. It already came with a decent lift kit on it & a GME UHF & a bull bar. Also put in a 10.1" head unit with aftermarket mapping for all my bush trips.

As for off road tyres, depends on what type of areas you want to go. Am running Toyo AT at the moment & are a nice ride.

SCOOPY said:
Having reached (Old Fart) retirement age, have decided to take up detecting as a hobby. Something have wanted to do for 40 years, but you guessed it, never seemed to have the time. Main considerations are obviously which detector (2300) seems to be the favoured implement, but which vehicle to avoid getting stranded in the bush. Was leaning towards a Land Cruiser, had an LC 100 from 2004 to 2013 without a single problem. Was hoping to get a used car for a reasonable price, however the cars depreciate very slowly & you don't have to go back too many years & you regularly see 1/4 million k's on the clock. Starts to defeat the reliability basis for getting the car in the first place.
My current car is probably due for renewal anyway, but don't think I can stretch to the LC 100 so am thinking about the Prado. New model has an additional 20kw.
Would appreciate any advice. Was considering getting a set of steel wheels with off road tyres along with the purchase that I could put on for any bush trip. Is this a good idea or unnecessary?

Welcome aboard, Scoopy. Which areas are you planning on taking the new vehicle to?

I suppose it depends on how your fitness is as to what sort of driving you want to do. Steel is recommended for the hard stuff. I went up the cape on my standard alloy tyres in the Pathy with Cooper ATR's. I had 1 flat just out of Archer River roadhouse-was carrying 2 spares The rims took the punishment and still have them 13 yrs on.
I take very good care of my Ti and it still looks great 16 yrs old. Do my own oil and filter changes anymore and just can't physically do it with a back full of Titanium. The same mechanic has taken care of the other stuff.LPG taken care of by a new guy who my mechanic recommended. The assistant mech stuffed up on tensioning the belts last year and it was fixed in 15 mins.
The Prado has a 150 ltr tank doesn't it??

Big difference between getting "stranded" and getting bogged.

A well maintained car will usually stop you becoming stranded (yes exceptions do happen) , a 4x4 "may' avoid you becoming bogged.

Good ground clearance should be major consideration.

I get by with a RWD Teritory but the Vic goldfields are pretty tame and if you know your (& the cars) limitations its easy enough to get to "remote" areas and to stay out of trouble even on some of the GT's "ordinary" tracks.

If WA/NT or remote outposts are on your radar go the 4x4 .... what type also depends on your spending power, better with a reliable RWD than a dodgy 4x4.

Good Luck.
Cheers T.

Having a winch and 50m of Extention is real peace of mind when your the only vehicle.
Less than the cost of one recovery.
And Toyota is a great start in my books.

Based in Melbourne so will be expeditions in Victoria. As I said leaning towards the Toyota for reliability peace of mind. Though a Pajero / Patrol / Jeep would be cheaper, does the Toyota really justify the extra expense? The new Prado's only come with alloys, just worried about wheel failures, I mean you can bend an alloy in a pothole on a sealed road. Friend's grandfather had a mine not too far from Melbourne back in the day, proposed a tailing search there as my first outing. After this lock down is over of course!

You will find good economy with the Prado Scoopy. Also Toyota's have very good resale value as they are in demand. Have you thought about a 2nd hand Prado with low kms?

I bought mine from a BMW dealer. Was in the right place at the right time & did a good deal. I cannot imagine driving anything else now...

fwdoz said:
Jaros said:
The Prado has a 150 ltr tank doesn't it??

Correct

Looks like they shrunk in the later models. Mine had a 180 ltr tank.

Awsome 4wd the (120 series) I had a 2" lift, mud tires and winch. Got into places that were so rough and steep. I reckon the most important addition to any 4wd is a winch. A few weeks ago in my new 4wd (no winch), I had to reverse out of 3 tracks when it became questionable whether I would make it through. Also, I'm finding that all terrains compared to mud tires are useless.

Hi scoop I've had a few 4x4 . Actually just took a new 5.6L Nissan for a spin. Beside being a little
thursty, it really surprised me how smooth and powerful and well balanced the car was. Comfort is what id go for now days as I like doing longish trips. To me it's about the thrill of the search. Adventure awaits. But i must warn you 4bies can get bogged quickly and a fun time out can turn into a nightmare. First bit of safety gear, a shovel and snatch strap. Second some recovery boards. Winch for peace of mine.

Ill agree with Jin about muddies but loud as hell on the road. skinny tires go through mud and up hill climbs better than AT. However most KM are done on sealed or main gravel roads and AT are more enjoyable.

Post up a pic here when you buy one :D

Thanks for all that feedback.

Placed order for new Prado, should arrive before end of October.

Winch might have to be first major add on. Will see how I go, don't think I will be over adventurous on where I go.

Cheers

SCOOPY said:
Thanks for all that feedback.

Placed order for new Prado, should arrive before end of October.

Winch might have to be first major add on. Will see how I go, don't think I will be over adventurous on where I go.

Cheers

You say that now. But it's to tempting where you can go ;)
Just know your limits and you will see places you will remember forever

Seems that everybody has passed over the single most important thing about going off road, and it doesn't matter what make,model,tyres,recovery gear you've got.

NEVER TRAVEL OFF ROAD ALONE

Latest posts