Fire Monitoring Sites

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using EmergencyAUS and Fireready apps on my android. Updating is starting to slow down as more are accessing the data

Also using Scanner Radio app to listen in on the cb radio feed ( where I can )

Tathradj said:
Add your favorite here so we can all be informed.
My Favorite
http://sentinel.ga.gov.au/#/announcement

Thanks Tathradj timely info.

http://sentinel.ga.gov.au/#/main 7 you need to enable the info at the top right to findout a little more.
I've been using fires near me app for a while, it seems good but you have to have reception. Reception is an issue in many prospecting places.

We were invited to leave Oallen due to a fire, be gone in 20 minutes and we were. It was a week later that I found the eggs in the camper, pulverised from the trip. They were overlooked in the packup. The stench lingered for months.
If you're in a fire area, prepare everything so you can depart easily. Even point the car in the right direction as the situation changes very quickly. Stay safe.

for VIC, the Vic emergency app, its excellent!
Warns you of all things that can impact your movements about the State

Mod edit:
Available here https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/your-local-area-info-and-advice/vicemergency-app
Yeah it works well if you're not in the position of proximity to a state border, the discrepancies between states is confusing albeit we've now endorsed the national FDI code 🙄 Just be mindful of state variables if within state border proximity.

Apart from that the Vic emergency app proved itself for the first time today (for me that is) as a useful heads up tool, I wouldn't rely on these sites,honestly they are nothing more than an information system that struggles to provide accuracy at the best of times. God forbid there created by the politicians who we all criticise, enough said on that front.

Anyway here's a bit of a timeline of what's taken place in our neighbouring community. It'll be a good few days or weeks before this one's completely out, just like gold being missed same goes for hotspots on the fire ground from time to time, the topography won't help.

The fire just north of Flowerdale. Pictures from the Murchison Spur lookout which is termed the Gateway to the Valley of a Thousand Hills.

This arvo
IMG_20230221_220901.jpg
IMG_20230221_220926.jpg

Around 9pm, it hard working this topography at night.
IMG_20230221_220953.jpg

Social media pictures doing the rounds,
IMG_20230221_221919.jpg
IMG_20230221_222021.jpg

We're all safe here, nothing to worry about. Our threat is from Thursday to Sunday from the western flank if they miss anything. I doubt it their generally pretty good at prioritising these situations post the initial fire fighting. The difficulty with this fire is topography 😬 it's bloody steep in some places.

All the best to everyone dealing with the heatwave and upcoming weather over the next few days/week.

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_222021.jpg
    IMG_20230221_222021.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 0
The NSW fires near me app has been updated to Hazards Near Me. Provides details on flooding and other SES events now.

Also allows you to set areas that it will send notifications on. I have it sending me details of ACT, NSW and VIC zones I have set up 10km radius from family, and am receiving notifications for all three states.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/emergency/hazards-near-me-app

Yeah it works well if you're not in the position of proximity to a state border, the discrepancies between states is confusing albeit we've now endorsed the national FDI code 🙄 Just be mindful of state variables if within state border proximity.

Apart from that the Vic emergency app proved itself for the first time today (for me that is) as a useful heads up tool, I wouldn't rely on these sites,honestly they are nothing more than an information system that struggles to provide accuracy at the best of times. God forbid there created by the politicians who we all criticise, enough said on that front.

Anyway here's a bit of a timeline of what's taken place in our neighbouring community. It'll be a good few days or weeks before this one's completely out, just like gold being missed same goes for hotspots on the fire ground from time to time, the topography won't help.

The fire just north of Flowerdale. Pictures from the Murchison Spur lookout which is termed the Gateway to the Valley of a Thousand Hills.

This arvo
View attachment 8120
View attachment 8121

Around 9pm, it hard working this topography at night.
View attachment 8122

Social media pictures doing the rounds,
View attachment 8123
View attachment 8125

We're all safe here, nothing to worry about. Our threat is from Thursday to Sunday from the western flank if they miss anything. I doubt it their generally pretty good at prioritising these situations post the initial fire fighting. The difficulty with this fire is topography 😬 it's bloody steep in some places.

All the best to everyone dealing with the heatwave and upcoming weather over the next few days/week.
My sister's in Flowerdale, RM. We've been keeping a really close eye on this one. Hard terrain to fight fire around there.
The entire town of Hazeldene was burnt in the Black Saturday fires, that has now been incorporated into Flowerdale. It's a bad area for the fires going through there.

Hope you're OK.

Cheers,
Megsy

All good here Megsy 👍It sure is hard ground to contain a fire once it takes off. Their doing their best to contain the perimeter. It'll be a few days maybe a week before they can classify it as safe, steep country is a challenge no matter what you do. The wind here this morning isn't going to help the cause 😬 hopefully it stays within the control line.