Finally my 5000 goes wireless

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well finally got onto making the 5000 wireless, Got a couple of the Link tech batteries and 2 Avantree Saturn Pro Low Latency transmitter-receiver. Works fantastic and if it works well over time will be a very pleased man. Glad I stuck to the smaller battery as carrying a spare in the pack won't really be an issue if one does not get me through the day. Interesting was discussing this wireless stuff with a Electrical engineer and he had plenty of ideas but none with their own power source like these Avantree and with over 8 hours run time. He said once you have them and he would run them over some TDS software to see what kind of delays they have. The Minelab wireless system claims 10ms and the Avantree claims 32ms from source to output. Well the Minelab came in at about an average of 12ms unless not in direct line of sight when sheilded by body or objects it slowed to average of 20ms. Sharing 2.4ghz the Avantree was not on it's claim but averaged 40ms no matter what even up to 5 metres away. Then he showed me with my ears and eyes at the same time and I could not even tell the delay when latency was near 100ms. So that was food for thought, anyway here is my setup the transmiiter is velcroed to the control box under the cover and the little headlamp pouch is attached with a strap as I like the battery inline with the rest of the machine for balance. Also got some 1/8 male to 1/4 male leads to eliminate as many connection as possible. They won't power a speaker without booster but I always run headphones so transmitter on belt with wire under shirt to ears.
1452165921_20160107_104801.jpg

1452165933_20160107_104807.jpg

Q - Hopefully not stupid....

Is this purely Wireless for the Audio?
Where is the Detector Battery and how does it connect?

or is it all in the LedLenser pouch.

Where's the transmitter, tucked in the side of the cover?

condor22 said:
Q - Hopefully not stupid....

Is this purely Wireless for the Audio?
Where is the Detector Battery and how does it connect?

or is it all in the LedLenser pouch.

Where's the transmitter, tucked in the side of the cover?

Yeah mate the little led lenser pouch has the battery in it, 2 leads come out of that battery one goes to detector and one goes to the transmitter. The transmitter is velcroed to the control box under cover. And I have the receiver in a pouch on my belt with headphones plugged into it complete wireless audio.

I can take more detailed photos if you like.

Wireless is a good set-up if you don't mind the extra weight that the battery next to the control box introduces.

I am eagerly awaiting Deteknix's new wireless headphones, and wireless Tx Rx set-up.
Would be nice to go wireless on my SDC and Nokta

Mate the little battery is 300 grams and the transmitter is 17 grams and thats with the wires. I have just left everything on and the 5000 started making low voltage warning at 6 hours and 23 minutes on it's first charge so not bad and both the TX/RX are still going and are now plugged into my computer just to see how long they will go. Can hardly feel the weight as it is under your arm I think that is the advantage to the little camcorder batteries is the weight the stock GPX battery is 900grams and that much weight on the machine is very noticable. The EQ battery system specs were great except its weight and on the side of control box as it was near 900 grams also the machine really wants to role in your hand with the big battery on the side. And the Avantree Saturn Pro low latency is about as close to the wireless system on the CTX/GPZ at 2.4ghz and I think the Avantree gets less interferance when an object gets between it and source.

The audio is great with these little units and just as good as the Minelab wireless if not better. But only time and usage will tell if they stand up to day to day detecting. I think plugging one of these little units into your SDC and having one on yourself with earplugs in your ears and you will never look back as they are just so tiny.
1452226500_20160108_134959.jpg

1452226512_20160108_135052.jpg
1452226527_20160108_135125.jpg

Both the Avantree TX/RX got to the 8 hour mark and the receiver just went flat transmitter still going not to bad for something the size of a 50 cent piece.

Where did you purchase the batteries and the Rx/Tx from? and $$

BTW- There is a weight gain anyway, the usual power lead is connected to the detector at one end and the battery on the harness at the other end. So one can assume that half the weight of it is on the detector anyway. My std cable weighs about 230gr so roughly 115gr saving.

condor22 said:
Where did you purchase the batteries and the Rx/Tx from? and $$

BTW- There is a weight gain anyway, the usual power lead is connected to the detector at one end and the battery on the harness at the other end. So one can assume that half the weight of it is on the detector anyway. My std cable weighs about 230gr so roughly 115gr saving.

Batteries are from detectormods.com they are $130.00 with charger and the Avantree Saturn Pro Low Latency units came in a dual pack pre-paired from ebay for $160.00 for the 2.

Yeah I don't think the little battery will give you a full day 10 hours like the GPX battery but at a 1/3 of the weight how could it.

I note that the battery has a 6mm socket and from I can gather the Avantree device has a 3.5 socket, did you need to use an adaptor? or, replace a plug

If so is it mono, stereo or modified?

Oops, just reread your original post re the 1/8 to 1/4 patch leads. same Q tho stereo or mono

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-35mm-S...25cm-/380490452636?hash=item5896ff8e9c&_uhb=1

These work with the Avantree Saturn Pro's & Detector Mods batteries (& also on SDC + booster/speaker set ups etc.)
:eek: They've whacked the price of the Avantree's up a fair bit. I got 2 x sets (4 units) for $140.
They are a great device & mine have continued to work well after a few months of use. More hardy than they appear & have even had mine in a light shower of rain - still working.
p.s. I think the Avantree's are the best add-on I've purchased for the SDC2300 after Nenads lead. Bloody fantastic on it & great on the GP3500 too.

mbasko said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-35mm-S...25cm-/380490452636?hash=item5896ff8e9c&_uhb=1

These work with the Avantree Saturn Pro's & Detector Mods batteries (& also on SDC + booster/speaker set ups etc.)
:eek: They've whacked the price of the Avantree's up a fair bit. I got 2 x sets (4 units) for $140.
They are a great device & mine have continued to work well after a few months of use. More hardy than they appear & have even had mine in a light shower of rain - still working.
p.s. I think the Avantree's are the best add-on I've purchased for the SDC2300 after Nenads lead. Bloody fantastic on it & great on the GP3500 too.

yeah thanks mate it was your feedback on these units that helped me with the purchase. Good to see they have worked without fail for you and hope mine are the same. The other Avantree low latency that is TX only looks good too and has a magnetic base if you were using bluetooth headphones but the best part as they all use micro usb to charge so your android smart phone charger will charge them.

Just an update, I have made my own power and audio cable up to do away with the extra plugs and patch leads. I have put a RC deans plug on it so batteries can be changed without pulling the whole lot apart. I have been trialling Lipo RC batteries, man do they kill Lithium Ion for keeping their voltage through out the load. They are unstable and need care when charging but weight to voltage kill any battery type. I have also purchased a few camcorder batteries and put wires in them myself like the Link tech ones. I have made some smaller Lithium Ion packs with the 18650 cells with only 3400mah and they run for just on 3 hours and only weight 110grams for when I want to swing a bigger coil.
1454914629_20160208_144642.jpg
1454914555_20160208_144356.jpg
1454914646_20160208_144713.jpg

Well have just grabbed a RC 7200mah 7.4v 2s Lipo and it runs the 5000 for more than 10 hours and only weights 300 grams. This thing will accept 7.2 amps of charge current so can be fully charged in an hour it is a hardcase version. As I already have RC chargers I don't need to buy one but anyone looking at this option a good Rc charger can be as cheap as $40 and they are all DC so can be run from truck. As long as they are treated with respect and the right charger is used Lipo's are only as dangerous as the person using them, makes them.
1455916207_20160219_154057.jpg

should have the parts to do the same thing to my gpx waiting on my desk at work tomorrow :)

Latest posts