Ferrous ID Range Differences

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi all,

The full ID scale on all Nokta Makro machines is 00-99, but they have used different ferrous/iron ID scales (or ranges) on their different detectors, i.e. 00-10, or 00-40.

So what is the difference?

A wider ferrous range is good for relic hunters so they can accurately set what level of iron they wish to ignore. This as a result compresses the non-ferrous ID scale, so you get more stable ID's, but can group certain targets close together. A very wide ferrous range is also used on detectors intended for gold prospecting, because there can be a very fine line between hot rocks and gold, especially nuggets that can have some form of ironstone attached to them.

A very narrow ferrous ID scale is more geared towards the coin hunter, as it spreads out the non-ferrous scale, giving you greater separation between good and bad targets. This is important when notching out troublesome junk targets such as say pull tabs, so you are less likely to reject good targets in the process.

As a handy reference, I thought I'd put up the ferrous scale used in their various units:

FORS CoRe, Gold and Gold+ use: 00-40

Red Racer: 00-40

Gold Racer: 00-40

Fors Relic: 00-20

Racer 2: 00-10

Simplex+: 00-15

Kruzer 14 & Multi Kruzer use: 00-15

Gold Kruzer: 00-40

Anfibio 14 & Multi all use: 00-15

Anfibio 19: 00-40

The IMPACT is quite unique in that it uses two different scales depending on Search Mode.
DI2, DI3, DI4, DI99, COG use: 00-15
Deep, Gen, VLX & STA Modes use: 00-40

Hi. Phasetech. Very interesting and something I'm researching at the moment. My biggest enemy is as I've said in other posts are the small bits of flat rusted thin bits of iron the appear to be impossible to discrim out as they produce a high tone like small gold. In say a simplex would the notching be at all useful on these targets???? Regards... Ronnie.

Latest posts