Feedback on Raw Gold course ...... Andrew Bales (Victoria) from past participants

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to make a booking with this gold/geology course that Andrew has been running for a few years..... actually pretty sure I will but ......

Just looking for some feedback for anyone that HAS actually done this course, good/bad?, worthwhile/useless??, improved your location decisions ??? Any other info to make me feel better about outlaying some hard earned.

TIA, cheers Tom.

Attachments

• 4EA99975-6C34-4937-8EB0-92CD75730A16.png
    4EA99975-6C34-4937-8EB0-92CD75730A16.png
    3 MB · Views: 2
G'Day Teemore

I notice that his courses are up for May, I have tried to sign up for his newsletters but they never arrive in my inbox :(

Have you tried getting the newsletter ?

actually pretty sure I will but

Coming from SA I'm trying to organise accommodation for a few days before and after the dates, but no luck.

Do you know if it is practical or all theory, I don't want to get too close to anyone who doesn't have a mask !!!

TIA

When we attended it was 8am till 11.30 in the Dunolly town hall, lunch, then prac in the bush till dark. He was n no hurry to leave and spent hours pointing out the prac and answering questions.

Anyone recommend a NOT Glaming accommodation around Dunolly, the boss hates anything to do with camping !!!

If I have too I could always go solo, but the young bloke is eager to get back to GT

Booked in for 14th May, earliest date that I've got a free Saturday.
SAAU .... a bit of accom. in nearby towns (and goldfields), my plan is to head up Fri., do some detecting, stay o'night and drive to Dunolly to attend on Sat.

G'Day Teemore

I notice that his courses are up for May, I have tried to sign up for his newsletters but they never arrive in my inbox :(

Have you tried getting the newsletter ?

Coming from SA I'm trying to organise accommodation for a few days before and after the dates, but no luck.

Do you know if it is practical or all theory, I don't want to get too close to anyone who doesn't have a mask !!!

TIA
Not sure about the newsletters but tried a few times without success to book earlier in the year, no response to msgs or email but then got response a few days ago because I was "on their mailing list". Thin he's been busy filming for his TV show (Weekend Prospector on 7 Mate, Saturdays) ..... pretty sure places will fill fast now that he's back on TV.

I have booked the RAWGold course for 18th June. Might as well learn from one of the best.

Hoping to spend a couple of days up there prior & get in some more detecting time.
I'll let you know what I think of it once I've done it on 14th May ...... need to do something to change my methods here in Victoria.

Booked in for 14th May, earliest date that I've got a free Saturday.
SAAU .... a bit of accom. in nearby towns (and goldfields), my plan is to head up Fri., do some detecting, stay o'night and drive to Dunolly to attend on Sat.
Laanecoorie lakeside park has cabins and only 17km to dunolly

What does the course cost?
Rob.

$350 of the hard earned stuff ..... guided detecting sessions are roughly the same, maybe marginally cheaper but really only take you detecting and help with detector settings and stuff ..... trying to get my head around steering clear of known worked areas to concentrate on potential sources. Understand worked areas and have pulled heaps of gold from them but they've been visited by all and sundry and it gets smaller every year.

OK ..... so did this course (max.group of 10) last Saturday but did a bit of detecting before hand on Friday
(see below).
So, is it money well spent ???? Depends on what you expect to get out of it. We're talking about Victorian gold here, although the principles apply to all goldfields.

In my situation finding gold IS NOT the major problem, Being a long time SDC and now 6000 user meant gold was found in close to 100% of detecting trips ...... sadly most of these don't seriously worry the scales. My mindset was to always come home with some gold, regardless of size rather than concentrating on finding bigger pieces, thought coming home without at least something made the trip a failure.

My intention was to wean myself off the mullock heaps/throw out zones to concentrate on (hopefully) larger gold. And let's be honest EVERYONE has access to all the known workings through Stone, Tully, Barnham ,Geovic, etc etc ....... Finding gold in those areas is more about good luck and in some cases, effort, than any unique knowledge.

Think I gleaned enough information to more confidently spend time, and I must admit potentially goldless hours, on most, or part of my trips, investigating areas where these elusive larger pieces may be lurking.

Morning was spent on theory and the afternoon out n the goldfields of Dunolly, if you attend and don't understand something ASK, if something you want to know is not mentioned ASK .... Andrew was very open and approachable on any gold related subject .... make use of it.

An interesting observation was that many of the "identified target zones" during the field trip had very recently been detected with very recent scrapes/digging holes evident ..... ???? a recent attendee checking them out ?????

Would I recommend it ...... not to anyone content to do what I was. If like me you want to change and detect areas with more confidence then go for it. Then again you may also be a whole more knowledgeable than this little duckie, good luck to you.
If you attend, or have attended, I'd love to get your impressions,
Cheers T.
tempImage6r0X7i.pngtempImageWxHvq3.png

OK ..... so did this course (max.group of 10) last Saturday but did a bit of detecting before hand on Friday
(see below).
So, is it money well spent ???? Depends on what you expect to get out of it. We're talking about Victorian gold here, although the principles apply to all goldfields.

In my situation finding gold IS NOT the major problem, Being a long time SDC and now 6000 user meant gold was found in close to 100% of detecting trips ...... sadly most of these don't seriously worry the scales. My mindset was to always come home with some gold, regardless of size rather than concentrating on finding bigger pieces, thought coming home without at least something made the trip a failure.

My intention was to wean myself off the mullock heaps/throw out zones to concentrate on (hopefully) larger gold. And let's be honest EVERYONE has access to all the known workings through Stone, Tully, Barnham ,Geovic, etc etc ....... Finding gold in those areas is more about good luck and in some cases, effort, than any unique knowledge.

Think I gleaned enough information to more confidently spend time, and I must admit potentially goldless hours, on most, or part of my trips, investigating areas where these elusive larger pieces may be lurking.

Morning was spent on theory and the afternoon out n the goldfields of Dunolly, if you attend and don't understand something ASK, if something you want to know is not mentioned ASK .... Andrew was very open and approachable on any gold related subject .... make use of it.

An interesting observation was that many of the "identified target zones" during the field trip had very recently been detected with very recent scrapes/digging holes evident ..... ???? a recent attendee checking them out ?????

Would I recommend it ...... not to anyone content to do what I was. If like me you want to change and detect areas with more confidence then go for it. Then again you may also be a whole more knowledgeable than this little duckie, good luck to you.
If you attend, or have attended, I'd love to get your impressions,
Cheers T.
View attachment 1579View attachment 1580
Very good post/review. Thanks.

Latest posts