FALCON MD20 GOLD TRACKER PROBE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fello gold bugs , Hoping someone out there maybe able to help I have a Falcon M20 Goldtracker probe , I use it to detect small pieces of Gold in rock , but now I have a problem , when turned on it continues to buzz , I changed the battery's
1468280444_falcon_probe.jpg
adjusted the head but still it will only buzz , has anyone out there had this problem , better still have a solution , I contacted the makers web site and emailed them but seem to have little after service , which is a shame as the tool works 8)

Hi choiceshot2,
I had the same problem a few months ago. Didn't matter how I set the machine up, nor where I moved the copper ring up or down to, it would just keep on buzzing.
So I slid the copper ring off the probe so it was hanging on the cable and gave the probe and the inside and outside of the ring a good wash with a dish brush and dish detergent / water and rinsed off with fresh water, and dried it with paper towel. I did this because a mate of mine thought that through use in the field I had covered the probe and slide with oil from my hands, and of course the salt from my skin, and he thought it might be the salt sounding it off. I thought it sounded a bit dodgy. but surprise surprise it calmed right down and hasn't missed a beat since.
I noticed when I first got it new, that I couldn't get it to settle down in the field at all, and I put it down to highly mineralised environment in the field, but in hindsight, I think I may have cleaned the probe when I unpacked from that first trip and it worked fine for a couple of months until I cleaned it as discussed above.

Anyway, it seemed to work for me, and probably worth a try in your case.

Good luck.
They are a good unit for what they do :)

Has anyone used a falcon md20 to assist in finding alluvial deposits in creeks?
As a newbie any experience on the above would be appreciated or maybe u could recommend another detector.

Hi

Has anybody use or own a Falcon Md 20 Goldtracker?

I was wondering on your thoughts or experiences using them on finding minute gold in quartz.

Cheers
1578911088_fmd20.jpg

Thanks Grubstake, answers my question.

I have a quartz reef assayed at 15gpt so i might be able to handpick some specimens.

Hi Hotrock,

I've used one on a reef and while it was great at picking out chunks of quartz with tiny gold, I found it far quicker and easier to just put the whole lot through a rock crusher and ball mill and recover it that way.

While good, it does miss a lot and also sounds off quite a lot on nothing, even on the salts in your hand.

Latest posts