FALCON MD20 GOLD TRACKER PROBE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought a Falcon MD20 on ebay for a really good price. I got it to do crevacing around Bendigo as I know of so many areas that are full of crevaces that contain gold. I was wondering if anyone has used this machine and how they went with it? I know the main cord on them is dodgy so i have to watch that. Anyways any hints or stories would be great :)
cheers in advance

A little tricky to use in so much as it gets warmer,it needs resetting,by turning down the GB,but they are good for getting into the hard spots.
The other thing about them good for testing hot rocks.

Hi Members :)

Do we have a dealer for the Falcon MD20 in Aus or is it just direct from the states..

Cheers
Pete

Thanks for starting this topic P&R .. I haven't heard of these little Falcon Probe Detecectors before and after a quick squizz at Crampo's site, they look a pretty interesting piece of equipment .. It would appear that these are a far more serious and sensitive detector than those pinpointer toy thingies .. Have you, or anyone else reading this, had any experience with using the Falcon unit for picking up very fine gold in host rock material???

I'd be very keen to know more from the only credible source there is .. someone who owns one! .. Many thanks from the Digger

I got myself a falcon when i first started highbanking, so i had something to check my tailings with for those nuggets that wanted to get away. Alas i have found none of those yet :rolleyes: Though i do have a bit of fun poking round with it.
I have taken it out to use as a probe while metal detecting with mixed results. If you are digging in a clay area the falcon is to sensitive in my opinion as you will get hits every where in the hole.
I have also taken it to a few hard rock mines to have a poke about, but had similar problems as the clay where it was sounding of against a lot of the rock face, because of the high mineralisation.
I have also had a chance to play with it with a few different gold in quartz speccies and it worked very well finding the gold even some of the tiny bits.

So for me i find it another handy tool/toy for the kit, though i dont think i would recommend it as a pinpointer for detecting, it has its uses.

Also keen to have a play with these for crevicing, and at under $300 very affordable units.
Does anyone know what batteries they take "ie" 9v or AAs..

P&R

From all the reviews, comments, videos I have waded through, it seems like the Falcon works very well for very small at small distance. They look like someone is hand making them as a sideline. Calibration tends to drift a lot apparently and the cable causes a lot of noise. Also, cable is sealed into the hand piece so can't be replaced is damaged, which apparently is easily done. Using it for what it is intended for, sounds like it is in a class of it's own. Only issue I have is build quality and reliability. I can handle the bulky design but for that price, I would expect a lot better. Same old story, if people are paying that price, then that is what they are worth. Has anyone had one for a while and can report on reliability etc?

Had ours for 3 years now and still going strong. Has spent a lot of time in a backpack getting tossed round while hiking and camping and i have not managed to break anything yet. The lead can be a little touch sensitive but only really noticeable when the sensitivity is cranked up and has not been an issue for what we use it for.
I would not buy one for a pin pointer, but it is great at looking for fine gold in rocks though as mentioned it will not see very deep on the fine stuff. Also handy for poking about in crevices.

Good to hear. Your comment about not buying one for use as a pin pointer? Is it possible to expand on that? I am guessing for bigger stuff initially detected by a full size detector, a pin pointer is easier to use? I do a lot of panning with material sourced from buried crevices. Thinking the Falcon would be good for doing a sweep of the sides and bottom of the hole.

Where they are very handy is when you are panning,and you need to check the stuff that does not show sings of gold,you will be surprised what hides in dirty material.
Another thing about them,is that they will indicate hot rocks ,in so much that,if the signal increases coming away from the target,it is a hot rock,only when the signal increases when moving towards the target that it is non ferrious.
The warm of the day effects the sensitivity,work better in cooler conditions.

Regards Frank

Looked at buying one for a long time just for creek crevices tho still havnt as yet'
There is a nifty trick to identify lead/gold I'm sure Jeff Williams shows a review in one of his videos.

Hi Colmac
Go and retrieve it out of the bin and have another go at it.
A couple years ago I was using one in the west and a mate of borowed mine,and as soon as he got back from the west he bought one.
They are great on hot rocks and checking specimen,where exactle the gold is.

Regards Frank

I will admit that i only tried twice to use the falcon as a pin pointer when detecting, but it was around an old mine area and the probe was sounding off on almost every rock in the hole, the signal my detector had found was just a nail but there was too much noise for the falcon to locate, i do not think other pinpointers would have had that problem as they were not hot rocks just heavily mineralized. Dropping the sensitivity may have helped and was something i did not try....
Most of the time we will use it to to check specs in rocks ,pyrite will not sound off metals such as gold will and it can pick up very small specs but will not see very far into the rock with the small stuff.
Around bedrock areas we will use it in crevices to try and find where more of the black sand or magnetite has settled, and also when panning/highbanking sometimes just to quickly check the waste rocks.

Not the sort of thing everyone would need but can still be a handy addition to the kit depending on what you want out of it.

Latest posts