Fake Garrett Pro Pointers and detectors - Beware!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave law said:
I just received a new garrett today. It is a FAKE. How do i know. Turn on. 1 beep. Not 2 only detects while moving. I have contacted the seller telling them of my findings requesting a full refund. Should i destroy the fake so it cant be resold.

Don't destroy it mate because part of the PayPal refund process will be to prove you returned the item. (tracking number)

That's the normal process unless there's is an exception on counterfeit stuff

There are several sellers on eBay selling counterfeit Garrett branded products, including detectors. In most cases these sellers are overseas but use addresses in Australia to hide their origin.

Many brands now suffer from counterfeiting and Fisher, Whites & Garrett are amongst them.

A message from Garrett Australia on their website now states:

"Garrett Metal Detectors are distributed in Australia by Garrett Australia and sold by Authorised Dealers listed on our website. Garrett Metal Detectors are not authorised for sale on eBay, Amazon or Gumtree. Consumers purchasing Garrett Metal Detectors from these sites are warned that the product they are purchasing is not covered under the Manufacturers warranty and that they are buying at their own risk. Substandard and Counterfeit Garrett products are in circulation and Garrett Australia have received numerous complaints of poor quality Metal Detectors branded as Garrett Metal Detectors. Garrett Metal Detectors are made in the USA, are individually serialised and are made to the highest quality standards. Garrett Metal Detectors for sale on eBay, Amazon or Gumtree cannot be verified as genuine Garrett Metal Detectors. If you have concerns over the seller of a Garrett product please contact us to verify that they are an approved and authorised Garrett Metal Detector dealer."

Yes, when buying, check the manufacturers website for
dealers and only buy new from them.

Happy hunting this easter people.
:D

Apparently Garrett are now using a different coil wire on the ATX of new material with shiny surface.

As always use authorised dealer and check content of box before purchase.

Iam amazed did a full search on Alibaba heaps ATX clones for as low as 100usd buy 2 and get 1 free. Even found describing Garrett ATX deepseeker but the picture was of a Minelab GPZ 700..... peasant Chinese cannot read English This putting me off buying any Chinese items. This reminds me of the Japanese knockoffs that were sold during the 50's & 60's Later when Taiwan was under cutting electronic chip market World Wide and component assemblers had a high spike in failures. It turned out the parts were of genuine manufacture but they factory rejects and Taiwan was buying up these components That was the scam of the late 80's & 90's

The name of the dealer sounds very suspect to me alarm bells would be sounding. As I'm a newbie I would go to a dealer

alibaba is full of the stuff, you can buy everything 4500 to a 7000 sdc atx.. all fake obviously, some of them are quite convincing clones.

Elijah said:
alibaba is full of the stuff, you can buy everything 4500 to a 7000 sdc atx.. all fake obviously, some of them are quite convincing clones.
True. Know a few guys that got Ali as well as Fleabay GPXs that were nothing but very good looking copies with nothing more than crap Vlf guts inside. The coils you could press on and hear ssssss as the air was pushed out :lol:
They got them for stupid cheap prices that really should have set the alarm bells ringing in anyone with half a brains head. I actually know a total numbskull that payed over a K for a long range gold finder, essentially a 9 volt battery connected to wire :lol: and used it for several weeks thinking it would lead his GP3000 at the time to a fortune :lol: and he wasn't a novice either , was a well known detectorist :)

JD3 said:
Elijah said:
I actually know a total numbskull that payed over a K for a long range gold finder, essentially a 9 volt battery connected to wire :lol: and used it for several weeks thinking it would lead his GP3000 at the time to a fortune :lol: and he wasn't a novice either , was a well known detectorist :)
Yes bought one of these to find if it really worked. set up a small test with gold rings suspended in fishing line. Placing this detector on a tripod. Then set the unit into a slow rotation. Not once it did stop pointing to the rings it's characteristic was no different to a roulette wheel or some one using a divining rods. shipped it back to the flea bay seller for a refund!

Latest posts