Exploration Mining License/Claim?? - Privately owned property.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Next door neighbours - elderly couple woke up to a sign posted out the front of their house.
A Claim/License Mineral Exploration/Mining - I haven't actually physically read it as yet BUT they're freaking out a little!
I presume it'd be for just testing to see if theres viable gold BUT! What rights do they have? also what rights would I have?? Although the potential of raiding a full blown working gold mine every night sounds like fun. really wouldn't want to be looking at that out my back door!
Moved bush for the peace and quiet and the 'pretty' not to be invaded.
Anyone know any of the legalities and rights to the landholder with this??

they are unlikely to be kicked off their land , but the mining company can legally tunnel underneath the land to obtain minerals if thats what their licence entitles them to

and i mean the tunnel could be 70 metres underground , you wont get your house falling in their hole

go and have a read of the sign , there should be details about who , when , what etc

If you were going to be inconvenienced with dust or noise , they should have consulted with you by now and offered compensation ( its a common practice )

If it is a new lease/EPM then the company would have to consult the land owners and sign a heap of forms giving them permission to explore on their land

most likely just an exploration permit, they might have a drill rig pop on their property to puch down some exploration holes for testing, before this happens they have to speak and enter negotiations with the propety owners, dont touch or remove the sign, this can lead to hefty fines.
It can be a good way to get a good road put into your property, maybe even a concrete slab and a shed set up to reduce noise from drilling which can be left for the owners once drilling has completed. IF they decide to put an active mine on the lease/property, then furthar negotiations will take place this will most likely include surrounding neighbours and the community, for ONE MOMENT dont assume you will be booted off your property.
For example one large mining company in victoria is mining on private property, the property is still owned privately, the company just leases the land from the property owner, after speaking with him the royalties he recieves are as follows, for evey 6 truck loads of ore removed from underground he gets paid for 1, now when these trucks are hauling 55-60 tonne per load at an average of 7-10 gramms to the tonne you are looking at 385 gramms of gold per load or (12.8oz) and on average they are pulling out 1000-1500 tonnes per 12hour period, running 24/7.Not hard to do the math on that one :D
In any case the whole process will have to be discussed with the property owners and they will know exactly what is happening and where they stand. ;)

Latest posts