Equinox 800 vs old detector like the SD2100 & eureka gold. New or old?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Detectors,

I'm just looking for advice.
What is the better machine for finding gold and why?
Would an old high-end detector that was originally over $3000 say 10-15 years ago, perform better or worse than a $1000-$1500 modern detector like an Equinox 800.
The reason I ask is because I simply want to know what would be a better choice older high end or newer mid level, has the technology come far enough that a high end detector of old would be made redundant by a cheaper detector of new tech....

TIA
Cye. :drooling:

Detectorists :mad:

G'day

First things first, there are coin and relic detectors and there are gold detectors, two different technologies, neither detector can effectively do the job of the other as both types have their strengths and weaknesses.

Coin and Relic detectors, the Equinox falls into this category irrelevant of whether is is touted to be able to be used for gold prospecting as some are, it is what is known as a vlf detector, while it may function marginally in mineralised soils it will lack the depth and ability to work some ground types effectively, this is the very same reason the introduction of the pi detectors was so dramatic in the 90's, vlf detectors are great for benign soils, soils of low mineralisation and magnetics like you would find in the suburbs so they are very good at finding things lost in parks and on the beach, and the strength of the vlf is that they have an effective descrimination abilty so that they can be run to ignore ferrous junk items that also litter these areas where most of your valuables like coins and jewelry would be found.

Some vlf machines sold as gold prospecting detectors are good for very small gold but have medium depth ability , they can be used effectively in some areas but these also can struggle in some places where even pi high end pi machines can be problematic, machines like the minelab gold monster and fisher gold bug are a couple of them, I have found in some places where I have tried these sorts of detectors, by the time you get them stable and quiet enough to use basically all you will find is surface or very shallow targets, many people carry these as well as a pi detector but also have to choose the area that they can use them in but as for having it as your main detector don't expect to get deeper targets with them.

Pi (pulse induction) detectors like the older minelab Sd or Gp detectors will perform better in goldfields soils and will have better ground mineralisation handling capability as they were designed for this purpose, they can also struggle in some places compared to later pi Gpx models, but they will still out perform a vlf detector depth wise on most ground, also you have to realise that these days most of your targets are deeper as most of the places you will access will have probably been well worked over with all types of detectors, the weakness of the pi detector is that the early pi detectors don't have any descrimination function but the later ones do even though most people will never use the function as its not very reliable and best left switched off, hence the rule of dig everything until you know what it is.

If you are wanting to chase gold in my opinion you would be better off with a pi detector even if its an early model one like the Sd than to try to do the same with any vlf machine, I have seen it hundreds of times with new detectorists, they buy a cheap detector and end up disapointed with the results and then either give it away or come to realise they have to shell out for a better detector if they want to get gold, its a hard game even with the very latest machines and the gold is getting harder to find so if you want to be successful you have to have the best you can afford and what is the more capable machine that is better suited to the job.

cheers

stayyerAU

Would also depend on the area you plan to chase gold. Vic old timers workings can be good with newer vlf's chasing tiny gold others have missed but I wouldn't be using one in the open areas of WA where a PI is king.
If your only targeting gold and not coins I would chuck a GM1000 into the mix too.
Where are you likely to detect?

Re (Would also depend on the area you plan to chase gold)

Agree,

The vid below shows an area that other detectors have most likely gone over and left small gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSYb4Tts_8

It seems that the Nox 800 is more successful using the 6 Inch Coil. ( I have yet to try mine out, as Easter is a non event)

I cannot recall the size of the small nuggets I found with the SD2100 probably .5gm was the smallest but were mainly over 1gm from memory, and there are lot fewer bigger nuggets in the Triangle then when the 2100 first came out. So an additional outlay for a more modern coil could well be needed.

An if you purchase a 2100 and are not finding anything ( which could happen with any detector you buy) will you regret not waiting/saving for a second hand 4500 or 2300.

However, my memory of previous models of Minlab Detectors is fading and unless someone does a Nox 800 vs SD 2100 comparison similar to the above, its hard to say.

Like Lord above a lot of Detector Operators have a Nox as well as their 4500/5000/7000.

In your situation if I could not afford a 2nd hand 4500, I would buy the Nox 800 with a 6 inch Coil, and look at all the instruction Videos on You tube ( even B4 you buy/decide)as well as Nox800 in the Goldfields.

The answer is its complicated.

Depends on the ground, the gold, and how well you know the machine.

Ive owned the 800, Monster, a 3000 and a 4500.

The 45 was the best machine hands down, buts its more complicated. I cant say I ever really used it at its potential.

To make a fair comparison youd need to have at least 50 and more like a hundred hours to judge.

If go out a fair bit by the best pi you can afford.

If not the Monster and nox will find gold. Monster its the most user friendly but it can drive you nuts. Both are easy to sell if you lose interest.

If you buy the SD you can always try your luck and trade up. It will be quieter on average on hotter ground, but if you go where everyone else goes its probably seen 45s, up to gpz, and sdc so theres that to consider.

Its luck and time on the ground.

LORD said:
Would also depend on the area you plan to chase gold. Vic old timers workings can be good with newer vlf's chasing tiny gold others have missed but I wouldn't be using one in the open areas of WA where a PI is king.
If your only targeting gold and not coins I would chuck a GM1000 into the mix too.
Where are you likely to detect?

I am in adelaide and will be trying my luck in the adelaide hills.

Maybe contact Nenad, (aka Phase Tech) great bloke to deal with, very knowledgeable and resides in your neck of the woods.

You will find him under site sponsors. With his knowledge of the local conditions Im certain he could advise you of what is likely to be your best option.

CR re the SD2200D, to me the best person to answer that question is a person who owns a 2200D and that is his/her main gold machine and is finding gold.

Operators like myself can remember the good old days with the 22 and they were good.

My 2200D Story: About 7 to 10 years ago, we were camped in the Bush North East of Leonora, and had a starter problem with my landcruiser and tracked down a starter in Laverton owned by a Landcruiser Tragic, he had x Cruisers in His yard.

Drove from the Nambi road thru the bush to the Leonora/Laverton Tar and onto Laverton, got a good deal on a fully reconditioned starter along with Coffee for self/wife and mate/wife, and my new Landcrusier Friend suggested I install the starter in his yard which we did ( a semi driver was also working under his vehicle as well, along with the friend's dogs checking us out re progress.

Wife and I did not bring our GPX 4500's since I though we would install the starter back at camp. On the way home we stopped at a spot(6 Oz patch) that the royal we ( SWMBO) had found some years previously. Mate used his 4500 and I used his wifes 3000. I loved the 3000 when I owned one. I used the mates wifes 3000 for 5 minutes, I could not stand the hot rocks ( it had the standard Minelab 11 Mono Coil) on every sweep, you would hear 5 or 6 sounds that on the 45 would be gold. I said I would rather sit in the Cruiser and watch.

At the time we had a 2200D in the Van as a backup just in case of problems with one of our 4500's. We sold the 2200D when back in Adelaide, If I could not put up with a 3000, the 2200D was also a No No. That's what Technology does to you, If I never had the 45, I would have been happy with the 3000, ditto the 2200..

Note last year we went back to this patch, 4 of us with 45's, a 2300 and a 7K and found around 30 small pieces in a wide area.

Peter

Latest posts