Emergency contact details

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we all go out camping and hunting for gold and other precious things forum members like to know if we are all safe. Just wondering if the Mods would like the idea of us storing our personal contact phone numbers and or friends they can contact if things get worrying.

What are peoples thoughts on this.

Maybe I'm being over cautious ?

A good honest thought Wishfull :Y: but for me I wouldn't like to publicly advertise someone else's number by virtue of them being my emergency contact even in the members topics. I'm of the thought advise those who you wish to or as Jaros said police if you are in isolated areas interstate or alone. Not that it means you have to be isolated to find yourself in a situation, which is why it's important to let those who are close to you know your intended itinerary. This topic might be better placed in the survival threads, it's really an open ended question with all the requirements of preparedness involved in my opinion.

You can install the Emergency+ app on Android and Apple devices. It will send your location to the Emergency services via any network. Worth installing for free in my opinion.

1560425730_20190613_213500.jpg

Ramjet said:
You can install the Emergency+ app on Android and Apple devices. It will send your location to the Emergency services via any network. Worth installing for free in my opinion.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1560425730_20190613_213500.jpg

Hope you realise that you can be tracked using that App.(and find your secret spot).... All apps like this can be traced very easily and I certainly don't want someone tracking Me.... Good luck to them if they try... :p

LW....

Those apps are ok if your phone hasn't gone flat and you got no way to charge it, or you've run into the bloke from Wolf Creek in the middle of no where.

But yes tell someone where you are going and maybe.....Report In.....every now and then if you can.

It is easy to think your ok until something goes wrong.
Once I decided to go for a drive to look for a new patch. 4 hour drive to get there. I hadn't told anyone where I was going and there was very poor mobile reception unless you walked up a hill and even then it was only 1-2 bars. Once there I thought how bloody stupid I had been. All was good though thankfully and I didn't have any problems.
I wasn't suggesting publishing phone numbers they would only be available to the Moderators.

Point in case. I happened to mention on PA about a pain in my chest that was worrying me. Now one of our very thoughtful Moderators actually rang me to see if I was ok and offered me some support information. Thanks Jack. :Y:

I go solo a lot and always carry a PLB with me which has all of my personal details and emergency contacts. One can get a bit paranoid about too many 'what ifs?'.

I have never needed a PLB as I don't usualy go exploring by myself. My little trip out was a spur of the moment thing whem my wife was away and I got board.
Point taken though. Though my point is the mods or someone here would have noticed I hadn't posted for a while here if I had tripped and done some damage vos I post frequently. ....sorry bout that ;)
My wife would have done something about it .......she would have !.....?
Anyway some folks haven't got immediate family and PA maybe their only family. Like Silver doing a welfare check which is great !

I don't particularly want to be contacted. I do have a sat phone and a PLB though.
If for some reason I can't activate them, well someone will come across my bones one day and score themselves a free detector or two.

madtuna said:
I don't particularly want to be contacted. I do have a sat phone and a PLB though.
If for some reason I can't activate them, well someone will come across my bones one day and score themselves a free detector or two.
bugga the detector mate.... we're all thinking about the bag of gold you might be carrying :goldnugget: :playful:
I promise to pack your bones neatly under a rock or two :p

When we all go out camping and hunting for gold and other precious things forum members like to know if we are all safe. Just wondering if the Mods would like the idea of us storing our personal contact phone numbers and or friends they can contact if things get worrying.

What are peoples thoughts on this.

Maybe I'm being over cautious ?
Bumping this old thread for comment.
I think the idea is a good one but having a forum database isn't really practical.
My suggestion would be, for longer &/or remote trips, to contact a member that's a friend, someone you trust or even a member of the Moderating Team with details like:
- contact number/s
- expected date/s of arrival to general areas
- expected date of return home or to base
- maybe a check-in date or dates even just for a quick chat - I'm ok

Latest posts