Dolly's Creek, Morrisons Victoria area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drives me mental how often people dump their crap in the bush... especially wire that can be placed in scrap metal bins everywhere. Looks like you're putting the time in mate keep it up and no doubt you'll ping a piece. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work HL,

I got a similar looking horseshoe the time I went to Dolly's. There's a horse out there somewhere with no shoes ?

I left you a PM with my phone number if you wanna tag team this weekend.

AU

With those finds I would say the area has not been well worked at all, so if there is big gold there, you should have a chance of picking it up.

Your lead bullets on the left are as close to gold as you can get and will be a good indicator of your machines capability and your technique.

Based on the size of your finds I would not hesitate working the same area again.

You might surprise yourself what can be found on an area you thought you had done thoroughly the trip before. I would recommend picking a spot you think you have done before and go very slow and low and see what comes out of the ground as it is a good test of your techniques effectiveness and will confirm the statement that 'no ground has been completely worked'

I can smell gold in that gully, good luck on your next trip.

And thanks for a great report.

G0lddigg@ said:
Drives me mental how often people dump their crap in the bush... especially wire that can be placed in scrap metal bins everywhere. Looks like you're putting the time in mate keep it up and no doubt you'll ping a piece. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah the rubbish part is crap. And there is a lot more around than that. I bumped into the DEPI blokes twice yesterday. They had a trailer and where hauling rubbish out. I suppose it could be a full time job for them and they have plenty more other things to do besides that. No worries bout the sharing mate.

Jaros said:
Great - promising looking country you're in and ditto from above. :p

Thanks mate.

Wally69 said:
With those finds I would say the area has not been well worked at all, so if there is big gold there, you should have a chance of picking it up.

Your lead bullets on the left are as close to gold as you can get and will be a good indicator of your machines capability and your technique.

Based on the size of your finds I would not hesitate working the same area again.

You might surprise yourself what can be found on an area you thought you had done thoroughly the trip before. I would recommend picking a spot you think you have done before and go very slow and low and see what comes out of the ground as it is a good test of your techniques effectiveness and will confirm the statement that 'no ground has been completely worked'

I can smell gold in that gully, good luck on your next trip.

And thanks for a great report.

Thanks for the encouragement mate. And for id'ing the lead. was wondering what it was. I even started giving it a good soak when I got home hoping it would change colour..lol.
I will rework the area where I found the horse shoe and the longer piece of lead. There were multiple small holes there and they had missed these items. so may have missed more yellow stuff. Going as slow and low as I possibly can, practically scraping the ground very lightly at times, but there are areas where the undergrowth is very thick. Also have not used the larger coil yet as I'm sniffing for the smaller bits. May give it a shot next time.

As for the gully I reckon I'll walk a lot further downhill next time. This was near the camp areas that had a lot of rubbish around. I reckon spots near the camp grounds have probably been gone over to death but you never know I suppose. Plus finding empty beer cans 2-300 meters downhill from the campsite discourages me.

Retirement Stone said:
Would love to run the SDC over those diggings!

Keep at it Hard Luck something will turn up eventually.

Thanks Retirement Stone. That's all I can do. Just keep at it.

If you do get a piece grab out the rake and get that coil snug to the floor. Keep going mate if it's there and in range it's yours. Big old horse shoes might be the next decent nugget everyone critiques!

Dolly's Creek was not considered a big wage earning diggings - there is a very good sociological book written on the place. That's a big however. It was considered a wages earner - that is, they 'scratched' out about an ounce a week to live on. At the value per ounce at the time, that was usual. Never let 'poor mans' workings put you off - they do tend to get over-looked.

see google books link: http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Dolly_s_Creek.html?id=31agAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

loamer said:
Dolly's Creek was not considered a big wage earning diggings - there is a very good sociological book written on the place. That's a big however. It was considered a wages earner - that is, they 'scratched' out about an ounce a week to live on. At the value per ounce at the time, that was usual. Never let 'poor mans' workings put you off - they do tend to get over-looked.

see google books link: http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Dolly_s_Creek.html?id=31agAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Understandable loamer. I've done a bit of research on the area and know it was considered a "poor mans" diggings area.
http://www.ashadocs.org/aha/10/10_04_LawrenceCheney.pdf

For me, it is close to get to. Just over an hours drive. I can drop the kids off at school and be back in time to pick them up. I always tell my best mate where I'm going in case things go wrong. I can practice swinging the SPP and get out in the fresh air and away from home which is what I need more than anything else at the moment. Keeps my mind off things.
If I find anything yellow it is a bonus. Not really expecting to find the 60 ouncer :) but I'll take whatever comes along.

I have looked at the Blackwood/Trentham area but that is very hilly and steep. But there is one spot there I want to have a closer look at.

Personally I would love to hit the Dunolly, Tarnagulla fields but they are just a bit to far away for quick day trips.

I just want to keep going and try my luck while I can.
But more than that I just want to be out in the bush feeling free.

All the best.
HL

So I have the fever bad and went out again today. I'm still only using the small coil on the SPP and am sure I'm using it ok in most spots as it is very quiet until
it hits some metal. In other spots it seems to go off as I get closer to the ground. Still a matter of learning my machine I suppose.

Tried 2 different spots today. Firstly went back to the camp area with the rubbish at the top and walked al the way down into the gully. I didn't really start swinging until a fair way down as I knew there would be lots of scrap metal around.

I started swinging about here.

2015%2B-%2B4

A bit further down I got a hit on the right side of that embankment. I dug it out a bit and it was deeper and I was thinking it may be a chance. But no, turned out to be a bit of lead again.

2015%2B-%2B2

Progressing downhill I got a good hit near a tree. "No way" I'm thinking. the areas been done over to bits, but I dig everything. I kept digging and the signals getting stronger but the hole is getting deeper. That's when I start talking to the dog. But no luck again as it was an empty bullet casing. 5-6 inches down.

2015%2B-%2B3

Kept walking downhill till I hit what looked like a creek. I know this is not Dollys creek as I was heading Nth and the Dollys was south from me.

2015%2B-%2B5

Finally made it down. Had a bit of a scan on both sides but I was more worried about snakes at this stage as the sun was out and there was a bit of water down there.
Maybe I should have taken a pan..lol. Then of course the dog had to get down there. I had a bit of trouble getting her back up as it was very steep.

2015%2B-%2B8

2015%2B-%2B10

So I started to slowly head uphill as slowly as possible. Got a good signal in a quiet area just uphill from that creek but was more lead again.

2015%2B-%2B9

Headed back to the car had a break, and decided to try the area where I found the horseshoe again.
Found some other recent looking diggings and picked up some electrical looking cables. Apart from that I got zilch signals but there was plenty of signs of fairly recent activity. You could tell from all the small holes left open.

I had a bit of time and wanted to scout around a bit and go further east into the track I was using. I have no maps coz I blew the budget on the detector so I'm relying on google maps which are not very good out there. I'm not even going to comment on Telstras non existent signal either.

Off I went and this is a fairly rough track. I would not go there by myself if it was wet, even in a 4WD.

Found this open pit a bit further up. Can anyone comment on what this may be?

2015%2B-%2B12

Once again the rubbish. This was near the open pit.

2015%2B-%2B13

2015%2B-%2B14

Moving east again from the open pit I saw a couple of promising looking places. Steep in places but looked ok for a try.
Next time I go up I may try there as long as it is dry.

2015%2B-%2B15

2015%2B-%2B16

2015%2B-%2B17

2015%2B-%2B18

HL

Gday HL, stay keen and persistent and you will make your own luck.
Ands it's always nice to go for a stroll in the park.
Cheers Steve :)

stoyve said:
Gday HL, stay keen and persistent and you will make your own luck.
Ands it's always nice to go for a stroll in the park.
Cheers Steve :)

I'm doing my best Steve. Cheers.

Here are todays hits.

That big bended iron peg thing second from the right was down about 10-12 inches under some pretty big rocks. I was expecting and old aluminium can by the sound of the signal but was surprised to find something this big so deep that no one had dug up.

2015%2B-%2B2

Keep at it HL, this is great inspiration for me as I'm about to head out for my first 2 day detect over Easter and although I don't expect to find colour there's always a better chance of it being out in the field rather than at home thinking about it.
I can't wait to see your first post saying you've found it, best of luck out there.

thats the pit mate, all the tailings from mining activities :) well worth drywashing i reckon, i took some samples a few years back and go some really flat gold out of that dirt. all i know is that the area wasnt a real great earner for the miners, yes tere were some good finds but the majority of what i read was most blo9kes were making wages and ended working for the larger companies.

DollyGE_zps6ebc0233.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:
thats the pit mate, all the tailings from mining activities :) well worth drywashing i reckon, i took some samples a few years back and go some really flat gold out of that dirt. all i know is that the area wasnt a real great earner for the miners, yes tere were some good finds but the majority of what i read was most blo9kes were making wages and ended working for the larger companies.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/troopy_01/New MSN Site/DollyGE_zps6ebc0233.jpg

Nice one G0lddigg@. That Orchard track is a bugger no way I'm going on it in the wet. Looks so small on the map but when you're out there it is huge country.
May give it a couple more tries then look elsewhere.

Yeh mate i hve to admit i turned around one day on that track in my 3 inch lifted payrol with 33 inch mud tyres... turns to mush fast and were due for more rain

G0lddigg@ said:
Yeh mate i hve to admit i turned around one day on that track in my 3 inch lifted payrol with 33 inch mud tyres... turns to mush fast and were due for more rain

Yeah well I have a Triton with the Easy Select gearing only. I can see where parts of that track would turn to mush with some rain. Really dislike those large puddles over the road.
Always wondering how deep they may really be.

Oh well. School hols next week. Suppose I get to drag the kids around the GT for a while. 2 are enthusiastic but one is not.

HL

does anyone know anything about this area i found a report about some old settlement that used to be there but no detail as to how much gold they found also is there any water in the area

Latest posts