Dolly's Creek, Morrisons Victoria area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to look at a map, not that image.
Look for the big quarry spot and work backwards, the turnoff is at the edge of the plantation.

Be aware the track is very rough, and if you go where the red line is, you may be better to park at the top and walk down the last hundred meters or so.

magneticsand said:
Be aware the track is very rough, and if you go where the red line is, you may be better to park at the top and walk down the last hundred meters or so.

Handy info!

Wow, heaps of gully's and little run offs, certainly an area worth exploring. Well away from where I initially tried, I am grateful to know, cheers!

Gonna try get there on Monday arvo and take in Tuesday and most of Wednesday. As much as I like Slaty, I do look forwards to trying elsewhere.

magneticsand said:
I got more pinstripes on my car than gold there.
I think I gotta agree with you on that, my third time there and although I have seen pics of rocky wide creek banks, dammed if I can find them (in a 2wd) I did go to where the pic showed and I found the gravel pit, I then went North and found the skinny little water way they are calling a creek, long grass, no flow and just mud. I then went back to my van and looked at google maps and there was another junction to the South, I went there in 35 degree heat, clambered a down a massive hill only to spot some dried out bedrock and no flow. The South looked better, decided to go the Devil's Kitchen and check out Woady Yaloak River, found a hole and got a few specks in what was basically a dried up river waiting for rain, I then went to Slaty's and go my usual coupla flakes from one or two holes I have to fall back on. Sorry to say it folks, but for me, Dolly is a Dud. The highlight was giving way to an Echidna crossing the road, only to see it decide "nah the ants are better on the side I was on" So it then turned around and made me laugh!

I think I gotta agree with you on that, my third time there and although I have seen pics of rocky wide creek banks, dammed if I can find them (in a 2wd) I did go to where the pic showed and I found the gravel pit, I then went North and found the skinny little water way they are calling a creek, long grass, no flow and just mud. I then went back to my van and looked at google maps and there was another junction to the South, I went there in 35 degree heat, clambered a down a massive hill only to spot some dried out bedrock and no flow. The South looked better, decided to go the Devil's Kitchen and check out Woady Yaloak River, found a hole and got a few specks in what was basically a dried up river waiting for rain, I then went to Slaty's and go my usual coupla flakes from one or two holes I have to fall back on. Sorry to say it folks, but for me, Dolly is a Dud. The highlight was giving way to an Echidna crossing the road, only to see it decide "nah the ants are better on the side I was on" So it then turned around and made me laugh!

Hey DataGlasses were you panning out there or detectoring?

Sister Goldfields to Dollys creek is just to the north of it, Mt Doran , these two fields were my most popular hunting ground 15 to 20 years back as it only took me 45mins to get out there.

The bush is very thick there now to to a fire that ran through the Dolly's Creek Forest and since then the weekend motor bike rides and really chewed up the tracks.

I would see at this time of the year panning would be a good advantage due to the rain we have had this year and being old creeks bed fields. many of the hill side had been wash down into the creek that runs from the Orchard plantation at the most west end down to the out flow across Forest rd to the east end.

It would make a good day trip out with your pan and walk one end to the other with pan sampling along the way I would not doubt you would find some gold along the way.

Look back on Google Earth shots and you will easy see the old wash hill sides 2010 is one shot that you could see easy for a target area for you to try.

Detrackozi