Does anyone in Victoria or Southern NSW have an Axiom?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bit of a long shot but I am wondering if any forum members from Vic or Southern NSW might have bought an Axiom?

I would love to give an Axiom a spin to see just what its ground balancing system can do compared to the GPX6. Not expecting miracles, just genuinely interested.

A few spots I frequent around Northeast Vic give the GPX6 some headaches, mostly due to some hot rocks and red clay - especially when the clay is wet. Even troubles the GPZ in various settings.

I'd be happy to show you a few spots in exchange for a bit of a play. Or could meet in the GT at some stage.

If you'd prefer to P.M. me that's fine.

No harm in asking 🙃

Well, I think the most appropriate saying is "all I can hear is crickets". :cool:

I guess that means that either very few (if any) forum members have bought an Axiom or they just want to keep it to themselves, which is fair enough.

I do notice on here and on DP forum that there is very little being posted re: reviews and finds by everyday purchasers of the Axiom. A few here and there but not a lot from either country.

Steve H had suggested that much of America is under snow and I suppose much of Australia is mid summer so not the best time to be out using detectors. Hopefully our respective spring and autumn seasons bring a few more reviews/videos.

I have also had a look at Garrett stockists in Australia and it looks like there are only 3 'full line dealers' in the whole country. 2 in W.A. and 1 in Queensland. I can't see on any of the websites for Vic Garrett dealers that they stock the Axiom. Most seem to stock a few of the cheaper detector range and a few Garrett branded pans and things. A couple do sell the ATX. I would have thought that within the "Golden Triangle" of Victoria there would be at least one full line dealer?

I'd genuinely like to try an Axiom and see it as a viable option for use within Australia. I am really interested in its ground balance capabilities. With its current AU$ pricing and poor availability from a reasonably local supplier I'm just not sure it is going to make head-roads though?

I've seen a few videos that convinced me that it could very well be as good as the GPX6000 and perhaps better on the hotrocks where the 6000 is quite poor. I watched a video by Chris Ralph in the US comparing the SDC2300, the Gold Monster and the Axiom on some small gold and some really hot hotrocks. The SDC did better on the hotrocks but the Axiom seemed to do pretty well but he didn't try ground balancing on them and I'd like to have seen that.

Keep in mind that the tests you see are usually on a very small coil. A bit bigger coil, which is available amongst the range of six coils, should improve the depth tests.

If I needed another detector I'd buy an Axiom. I wanted to get one for Mrs M but she's experienced the GPX6000 and doesn't want more of the same so she'll just stick with the SDC.

The SDC did better on the hotrocks but the Axiom seemed to do pretty well but he didn't try ground balancing on them and I'd like to have seen that.
Yes, I've looked at quite a few vids but most of them are either the Garrett educational vids, Chris Ralph, or in Australia, the Garret tester (can't think of his name).

Ground balancing out wet, red clay and/or hot rocks in some of the spots I go might just enable a few more pieces to be seen.

I fully believe Steve H when he espouses the Axiom's virtues but as with the Equinox and the GPX6000 it isn't until it gets in the hands of hundreds or thousands of general users that it gets used in a huge variety of ground and it is also when the issues (if any) begin to show (broken coil ears, drowned Equinoxes, DOA coils, DOA battery connections, speaker issues, etc).

I just have a feeling that if people could see a lot of units being successfully used in various Australian conditions then interest and sales of the Axiom could be really strong. At the moment it seems the majority of us are sitting back and waiting for others to take the plunge. It would be nice to be able to dip the toe in and use the Axiom for 10 minutes at a demonstration day or hire a unit from somewhere.

Call the prospectors depot eaglehawk victoria he is a Garrett dealer and has axium in stock
Thanks, will do.

I had looked on the website but no mention of even selling any detectors - "From gold pans, dolly pots, picks, pumps, crevice tools, magnets, bags and protective covers for your gear, maps, books, scoops, cables, signal enhancers, headphones, boots, the list goes on. If we don’t have what you are looking for, we can get it in for you."

https://theprospectorsdepot.com.au/
https://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/find-your-nearest-dealer/

Thanks, will do.

I had looked on the website but no mention of even selling any detectors - "From gold pans, dolly pots, picks, pumps, crevice tools, magnets, bags and protective covers for your gear, maps, books, scoops, cables, signal enhancers, headphones, boots, the list goes on. If we don’t have what you are looking for, we can get it in for you."

https://theprospectorsdepot.com.au/
https://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/find-your-nearest-dealer/

Yes Phil has only had the shop for a while and is slowly upgrading everything but believe me he has a full complement of detectors and I know for a fact he has axioms in stock he has sold a few already and I will be buying one in a couple of months time when I have the cash give him a call he is a really good bloke to deal with ,not full of crap like some .good luck .PP

Will be interesting to see how they go in Oz conditions 🤔 For myself main reservation - hesitation is the inbuilt battery and having to return to dealer to replace if so needed, having to do so doesn't appeal in any way? Especially given what appears to be very limited dealer network in Oz 🤔

This has to be the quietest detector release, after it hit the shelves I mean, ever.
Heard lots about it coming, big build up, now crickets.
Anyone actually tried one here and have any opinions on it performance wise in comparison to any of the Minelabs?
I saw a couple of videos of when the guys from the US came to Oz with them accompanied by some Aussie guy. But all I saw was tiny things found and them all using plastic trowels to recover them!

Yes, definitely seems quiet.

A fella in WA documented his Axiom purchase here https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21131-issue-with-axiom-and-ground-noise/

Ended up that the unit died and had to be replaced. He has been really happy with it though when it has been working properly.

He also updates that there were no WR-1 wireless receiver units in Australia but now Garrett Australia are ordering some in

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21639-garrett-please-explain……/

I did end up going into The Prospector's Depot in Eaglehawk to have a look at an Axiom. Phil also has Minelab GPZ 7000's and SDC 2300's in there.

Unfortunately the only coil available in the shop is the 13" DD so it was a bit heavier than with the 11" mono and therefore hard to compare against the GPX 6000 for weight/feel. It did feel very sturdy and robust. He has a couple of Axioms on the shelves boxed up (at least he did 2 weeks ago).

I'll give Phil one thing, he is a keen salesman. He was very interested in seeing me walk out the door with a paid Axiom in hand. It didn't happen 🙃

I think I have decided to keep the GPX6 until after the WA trip this year, wait for a few more Oz Axiom reports and then maybe sell the GPX6 with a few months of warranty left and move to an Axiom.

Phil said he does tours in the GT and on the tours they use the GPZ, the SDC and now the Axiom. I might have to join for a day just to get some use under the belt and see what it is like.

Unless some other Victorian has got one and they want to have a Vs GPX 6000 day in the GT or northeast Vic?

A fella in WA documented his Axiom purchase here https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21131-issue-with-axiom-and-ground-noise/

Ended up that the unit died and had to be replaced. He has been really happy with it though when it has been working properly.

He also updates that there were no WR-1 wireless receiver units in Australia but now Garrett Australia are ordering some in

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21639-garrett-please-explain……/
Thanks for those links, NE - lengthy but very interesting reading. 👍

I'm actually on the waiting list for the WR-1 from Garrett Australia, thanks to the fella in WA. 6-8 weeks wait they say.
Have been following the fella in WA pretty closely, he does a good wright up.

Oz Wash sluices Eaglehawk Vic is a Garrett dealer and has axium in stock Phil is a straight guy and easy to deal with. PP

You would think so or even one stocking the Axiom.
I'm also keen to check one out in NSW.
I am around Maitland area if anyone wants to call or pm me about my Axiom...only sniffed for gold once....it is def a learning curve , but amazing machine 👍🏻

Latest posts