Do we need big kitchen ovens anymore?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting to think ovens are a waste of electricity these days. Reason being we now have these air fryers , and air ovens.

So let's say for example you want to cook some frozen chips. A normal kitchen oven has approximately 1 square metre of space inside to heat whereas these new air fryers have a lot lot less area where the power bill isn't just getting wasted on.

Air ovens are also alot more energy efficient, just bigger than an air fryer so can fit say a roast lamb leg in.

I'm really considering buying these new air cookers and wondering are kitchen ovens becoming old technology, or am I wrong?

I have an air fryer I use it most days
Where I am staying doesnt have an oven
I do shed loads of stuff in it
Its a cheap one from Kmart I think it cost me $69
3.5 l I think

I have a regular oven for roasting and a 4 litre deep fryer for frying.

You can't beat the flavour of deep fried food dome the proper way. A mixture of mild olive oil and dripping, lard or Crisco does a great job.

My personal opinion is that an airfryer is a redundant gadget. However, a lot of people like them.

I think am instant pot is a better buy, but I do have the deep fryer already.

I've tried chips cooked in my mates air fryer, and imo they were fish n chips shop quality without the smell a home deep fryer has. Far better than oven quality chips.

Starting to think kitchen ovens are becoming like a pay phone box. A thing of the past?

Deep fried chips are much better but they make the place place stink so my wife says. So on my round at my job I buy some shop fried chips and bring them home and because they are cold by then I use our Cheap as Chips air fryer and cook them for 4 minutes at 200 C on the steak setting with both fans going. Turn out bwooodifful mate.
Also use our air fryer for doing Pizzas 5 minutes on Pizza setting.

Our oven still gets used for roasts and potato bakes etc. but that's about it.

Nightjar said:
Have tried chips a couple of times and they have a plastic like skin on them.
200 for 12 minutes what am i doing wrong? Failing this and it goes out on the road verge and back to deep fried or oven.

I think you need to coat the potato chips with oil before cooking them in the air fryer but I'm sure there are other methods.

G'day

Was given an air fryer as a gift and used it once just to try it out, although I think it is be useful for cooking some things when you are in a hurry I would prefer to use an oven as you can cook several dishes at the same time, as we often cook for the whole family on occasions no way I could do it in the air fryer, I think these days younger people are in too much a hurry and have developed a taste for fast food that us oldies have not, you cant beat a roast done in a gas oven or as I remember as a kid in a wood fired oven, just like there is no tastier food than what you do on a campfire bbq plate.

Nope kitchen ovens are not redundant particularly if you have a gas one, the amount of times the power has been out and I can just bung the kettle on the gas stove top when the electric kettle wont work, same thing with the air fryer, I guess its all about what we are used to and like many things that have come and gone the air fryer fad will fade into history as well and be used for fewer things like the microwave oven.

cheers

stayyerAU

We have the same stove/oven second time around. Kept the two old racks so I can run 4 levels at once (fan forced) if I wanted to..... Mrs S would say "Hoarder" :p .... but I may want to dry banana or mango one day to see how it goes(who cares how much it'll cost to run it). At the moment I can cook most of the meal in the oven, and turn things if I remember lol.... top shelf gets a bit extra while the meat rests.

I will keep my oven although it doesn't get used that much, besides cooking I also use it for tempering the steel when doing some blade work. Yep, that tempering could be done in a small benchtop unit, but why buy something else when you have a perfectly good oven to use?

Rob P.

We are about to start an extension will which includes a new kitchen.
Have our eye on a Belling 1100mm Colour Boutique Deluxe Dual Fuel Range Cooker.
Four ovens, compact oven with grill, multi-function oven, slow cook oven, and an equiflow oven.
and 7 gas and a wok burner.
Why?
Cause I've always wanted one.
Same reason I bought a Wildtrack and not a Yaris.

We have an air fryer and use it for finger food at gatherings.

Latest posts