DIY Plug Digga Spade plans with stick on template and instructions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my plugga today. Then ent & had a practice swing & a dig in my yard. Found some trash, but Im getting to know my little machine.
1604464245_9c660422-0e25-4d32-aab5-56f63565d282.jpg

1604464245_b23c61d6-c2a7-4e2b-98b9-cd61987e918f.jpg

Diggly said:
This thread is a wealth of knowledge. I'm definitely going to have a crack at this. Gives me a reason to buy an angle grinder :)

Good on you Diggly, it's a simple tool and easy to make, I have a few just for planting pot plants, made from garage sale spades.

Best of luck and post a pic when you are done, mate. :Y:

Check out ALDI, they had a batch of power tools on catalogue a couple of weeks ago - $29.95 for a 125mm Grinder.
I bought 2x
Then on last Thursday I was in an ALDI store and the grinders and other power tools were at $19.99, I bought another 3x.

I use them all the time and have different discs in all of the grinders, saves swapping disks to flap wheels and cutting the grinding etc.

Some of these will be used to work up, and test a simple build for a rock crusher grinder, a DIY that some on here will definitely consider
because it can be done for a cordless grinder also.

Heaps of builds on YouTube, I think I have a solid simple build that anyone could make with basic tools.
Some steel plate, some bolts, a drill and a grinder.

:)

See what happens when you steal her tools ?
Every time I see someone else has made one, I smile and feel good, my pleasure Phantom hope you dig up heaps after that finger heals.

I just bought a $9.95 spade from Bunnings for another build.
Now I have to download my template, LOL.

Every time I see someone else has made one, I smile and feel good, my pleasure Phantom hope you dig up heaps after that finger heals.

Now I have to download my template, LOL.used digger for the first time

Now I have to download my template, LOL.
Used the spade for the first time today and straight away can see why I need a longer handle, not that I'm tall but needed to bend over too much. What spade do you buy from bunnings.
Thanks Phantom

For this next one I bought a cheap short 'D' handle solid steel spade, different project.

Page 1
The first posting photo shows the original Spade short white handle, then 2x red handles. One cut and the other uncut.
The spades were cheap but I found like you, the handle too short, I don't bend well.
So I looked around and found that at Mitre10 two shovels with fibre glass handles for $12ea ?, cheaper than a new long wooden handle at $30ea,
I bought those shovels and pulled the handles then attached them to the spades.

Since then I also shortened them a touch (10 inches) so they fit across the boot of the smallest car, still plenty long enough to not have to bend down, so they are comfortable to use, have leverage and look 'ferrari red' for speed.

Seriously, any cheap long handle spade or a secondhand one will do the job.
Hit up garage sales for a long handle shovel to hack the head off if you cant find something at Bunnings or another hardware.
Always seems cheaper to buy the whole thing than to just get a handle.

Those little camp, garden or kids spades are very short.
So you may find that even a stand length spade handle without the 'D' on top to be suitable, that would put the top of the handle at around waist height. It could be cheaper to start with a new standard spade at the end of the day, get a wooden handle one if you do.
You would have the shorty as a spare too.

Good luck, I will be interested in what you end up doing, let us know please.

This may be a start, but a flat spade is best because you dig straight sided plugs, "square plugs" rather than a rounded circular plug, but both work anyway.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-long-fibreglass-handle-plumbers-shovel_p0242869

Last edited:
Hi GreenHornet,

Just about to build my third shovel based on your template, the shape is perfect, the only issue the Saxon compact shovel I used, it only lasted a few months, they flex and crack in the centre of the shovel, metal is too thin.
I even bought a Tigra Stainless steel shovel, but, I have three issues with it compared to your design:
- Its heavy
- Even after sharpning blade, it is too thick and hard to cut clean sood.
- The metal handle drives me crazy when putting the pinpointer in my left hand with Shovel, to recheck zone, the pinpointer sounds off, where as with plastic D grip and wooden handle no noise(sensitive old bugger)

The Tigra will be great for hard ground.
I know you have pointed to several shovels, however, can you say which one you have found to be the best, I want to get this one right. I will fit it to my wooden handle.

Regards,
Phantom

Attachments

• saxon digga.jpg
    saxon digga.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • saxon shovel.jpg
    saxon shovel.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Hi GreenHornet,

Just about to build my third shovel based on your template, the shape is perfect, the only issue the Saxon compact shovel I used, it only lasted a few months, they flex and crack in the centre of the shovel, metal is too thin.
I even bought a Tigra Stainless steel shovel, but, I have three issues with it compared to your design:
- Its heavy
- Even after sharpning blade, it is too thick and hard to cut clean sood.
- The metal handle drives me crazy when putting the pinpointer in my left hand with Shovel, to recheck zone, the pinpointer sounds off, where as with plastic D grip and wooden handle no noise(sensitive old bugger)

The Tigra will be great for hard ground.
I know you have pointed to several shovels, however, can you say which one you have found to be the best, I want to get this one right. I will fit it to my wooden handle.

Regards,
Phantom
Have a look at a Trojan Trenching Shovel with 'D' fibreglass handle.
After I had a few cheapies break at the same point urs did above, I bit the bullet and tried this decent one - a long handled one (the ruler shown is a 60cm one).
The blade is wayyy too long. From mem I cut off about 4-5 inches, keeping the same profile as it originally had. I figured I could change the profile later, add teeth, and/or narrow it later if needed, bit haven't had too.
As a precaution, I threw on a hd hose clamp on the bottom of the handle, and the duct tape is to protect everything I own from getting cut to shreds by the clamp, and too keep the dirt out.
Havent used it for a while, but worked a treat for me.

Attachments

• 20230510_071720.jpg
    20230510_071720.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 2
Thanks Hornet, I actually did a hunt through my shed and found a old buggered spade, chopped it up, hey presto this will do for now but next time, as per you suggestion. Just checking do you live in the Sydney region, I'm at Arncliffe. Great to have acoffee or a detect together.20230509_144404.jpg

Attachments

• 20230509_131321.jpg
    20230509_131321.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Hornet, I actually did a hunt through my shed and found a old buggered spade, chopped it up, hey presto this will do for now but next time, as per you suggestion. Just checking do you live in the Sydney region, I'm at Arncliffe. Great to have acoffee or a detect together.View attachment 9626
Phantom, looks good, time now to get it out there. If u ever need a new one, have a look at the Trojan. I found my offcut in a scrap bin - as I said, much too longa blade. Material/blade was about 1.7mm thick.

Attachments

• 20230515_091312.jpg
    20230515_091312.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Hornet, I actually did a hunt through my shed and found a old buggered spade, chopped it up, hey presto this will do for now but next time, as per you suggestion. Just checking do you live in the Sydney region, I'm at Arncliffe. Great to have acoffee or a detect together.View attachment 9626

Sorry Phantom, I'm in Adelaide, long walk for a coffe LOL, but the thought is appreciated.

With the spades, it is better to get a rigid blade, that pings when tapped with a coin, that means it is hardened and solid, even the cheapie spades do a good job and for $15 or so it is better to cut down a long lasting tool. Those camp spades are very thin, a normal garden spade will be 1.5mm up to nearly 2mm thick.
I have an 'ultra light' spade that I am tempted to cut down but that is a $45 tool that is great for soft soils - maybe a second one would get the chop.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-light-pointed-digging-spade_p3350712
1694662329509.png

I have been surprised as the how light it is and also how strong it is, it is a great spade but cutting it up may change it's rigid blade, however an awesome sand tool and so light in weight to carry is a blessing.
My original plug diggers are still going strong, so I can't complain, and it has been a pleasure to share with everyone, I think it was my first post on the forum.
GH

Latest posts