DIY Plug Digga Spade plans with stick on template and instructions

Reaction score
I made my plugga today. Then ent & had a practice swing & a dig in my yard. Found some trash, but Im getting to know my little machine.
1604464245_9c660422-0e25-4d32-aab5-56f63565d282.jpg

1604464245_b23c61d6-c2a7-4e2b-98b9-cd61987e918f.jpg

Reaction score
This thread is a wealth of knowledge. I'm definitely going to have a crack at this. Gives me a reason to buy an angle grinder :)

Reaction score
Diggly said:
This thread is a wealth of knowledge. I'm definitely going to have a crack at this. Gives me a reason to buy an angle grinder :)

Good on you Diggly, it's a simple tool and easy to make, I have a few just for planting pot plants, made from garage sale spades.

Best of luck and post a pic when you are done, mate. :Y:

Check out ALDI, they had a batch of power tools on catalogue a couple of weeks ago - $29.95 for a 125mm Grinder.
I bought 2x
Then on last Thursday I was in an ALDI store and the grinders and other power tools were at $19.99, I bought another 3x.

I use them all the time and have different discs in all of the grinders, saves swapping disks to flap wheels and cutting the grinding etc.

Some of these will be used to work up, and test a simple build for a rock crusher grinder, a DIY that some on here will definitely consider
because it can be done for a cordless grinder also.

Heaps of builds on YouTube, I think I have a solid simple build that anyone could make with basic tools.
Some steel plate, some bolts, a drill and a grinder.

:)

Reaction score
See what happens when you steal her tools ?
Every time I see someone else has made one, I smile and feel good, my pleasure Phantom hope you dig up heaps after that finger heals.

I just bought a $9.95 spade from Bunnings for another build.
Now I have to download my template, LOL.

Phantom

Eric Walker
Reaction score
Every time I see someone else has made one, I smile and feel good, my pleasure Phantom hope you dig up heaps after that finger heals.

Now I have to download my template, LOL.used digger for the first time

Now I have to download my template, LOL.
Used the spade for the first time today and straight away can see why I need a longer handle, not that I'm tall but needed to bend over too much. What spade do you buy from bunnings.
Thanks Phantom

Reaction score
For this next one I bought a cheap short 'D' handle solid steel spade, different project.

Page 1
The first posting photo shows the original Spade short white handle, then 2x red handles. One cut and the other uncut.
The spades were cheap but I found like you, the handle too short, I don't bend well.
So I looked around and found that at Mitre10 two shovels with fibre glass handles for $12ea ?, cheaper than a new long wooden handle at $30ea,
I bought those shovels and pulled the handles then attached them to the spades.

Since then I also shortened them a touch (10 inches) so they fit across the boot of the smallest car, still plenty long enough to not have to bend down, so they are comfortable to use, have leverage and look 'ferrari red' for speed.

Seriously, any cheap long handle spade or a secondhand one will do the job.
Hit up garage sales for a long handle shovel to hack the head off if you cant find something at Bunnings or another hardware.
Always seems cheaper to buy the whole thing than to just get a handle.

Those little camp, garden or kids spades are very short.
So you may find that even a stand length spade handle without the 'D' on top to be suitable, that would put the top of the handle at around waist height. It could be cheaper to start with a new standard spade at the end of the day, get a wooden handle one if you do.
You would have the shorty as a spare too.

Good luck, I will be interested in what you end up doing, let us know please.

This may be a start, but a flat spade is best because you dig straight sided plugs, "square plugs" rather than a rounded circular plug, but both work anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts