DIY Coin Tumbler

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm bored at work so I thought I would design a coin tumbler. I will get the bits laser cut today and piece it together early next week. I could have bought a cheapo one on eBay for like $70, but where's the fun in that???

Just one question, I do not know what RPM is ideal for it. I have a choice of 15, 30, 60 RPM. I am leaning towards 30 RPM. The drum is 200mm dia. x 200mm wide.

I will upload pics as the project progresses. The only thing that will hold me up is the motor delivery, otherwise it would be running next week.

1520471071_tumbler_1.jpg

It won't be adjustable with the cheap motor I plan on buying. I can add a voltage regulator but I'll lose torque. Its a gearbox motor so I need to change out the $23 motor with a different gear ratio if it spins too fast

Come on 1968 whats a bit of welding, you can do it before you go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p
Love ya work mate just wish you were a bit closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mackka ;)

Mackka said:
Come on 1968 whats a bit of welding, you can do it before you go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p
Love ya work mate just wish you were a bit closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mackka ;)

HAHA trust me, I am keen as to get into action, but a gold & relic hunting weekend away in the golden triangle has got me too excited!

Dave law said:
Hi 1968f have you considered using a 12 v drill as a motor. Might work. Variable speed. Cheers. :Y:

Yeah I did but that was going to cost more as I didn't have one. If I get the speed wrong, I'll replace the motor with a slower speed.

Fabulous work again mate! Geeze I hate feeling ignorant! But what's a coin tumbler?
DC car engine starters have good grunt. And it is possible to vary the rpm.
Jay car make a variable DC voltage switch, 0% to 100%. 8amp max. About $35.
electric boat motors originaly used starter motors hey.