DIY Coil Repair - Cracked Nugget Finder Z Search Coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this is posted in the right section (Admin please re direct if need be).

I was just cleaning my 7000 after my last trip and have noticed that my nugget finder z search coil has taken a beating. There are a few cracks on the sides as well as the top. I tend to drive my coil a bit more aggressively then the average person :argh: having to replace the skid plate every 2 to 3 days. I know, ive learned the hard way and will be more careful and delicate with it from now on :( :lol: :p

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in repairing their coils cracks? If so, what product works best?
After doing a bit of research i am thinking of using some sort of epoxy, possibly a marine grade type.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

1642506304_271759792_1380863139037077_658940116912090048_n.jpg

1642506304_271799311_328010872507229_1717703982789007070_n.jpg

1642506304_271985536_471707807953548_4756543037649472408_n.jpg

I've never seen one of these coils but it looks like ABS plastic. It's sure to be quite thin but would be weldable if you were to take it to somebody with good plastic fabrication experience however without dismantling the coil it might be risky to use heat. If it's ABS then it's able to be glued with PVC plumbers cement but I doubt you'd have much success. If it were mine I'd be asking the manufacturer NF? if they will replace the housing. Even if you have to pay it most likely wouldn't cost much and the repair would be a lot more successful.

Mate, seriously if you are going through a skid plate every 2-3 days, you are not using your machine correctly.
Is that a typo? 2 to 3 days?
After reading this, and finding cracks, NF would be well and truly be within their rights to not warranty your coil, although their service is 2nd to none.
I am pretty rough with my gear, and I'm still on my 1st skid plate after a full season of scrubbing.
I don't know what you are doing, but best you stop doing it!

davent said:
Mate, seriously if you are going through a skid plate every 2-3 days, you are not using your machine correctly.
Is that a typo? 2 to 3 days?
After reading this, and finding cracks, NF would be well and truly be within their rights to not warranty your coil, although their service is 2nd to none.
I am pretty rough with my gear, and I'm still on my 1st skid plate after a full season of scrubbing.
I don't know what you are doing, but best you stop doing it!

The noise from all the scraping would hide a lot of those quieter signals.

Still No Idea. said:
Cut up your old skid plate and dissolve it in acetone. It makes the perfect welding (glueing) material.

It penetrates the surface of the coil making it one piece, cracks are no more. :perfect: Same colour too.

I have repaired cracked coils before, mainly filling holes in skid plates themselves. Acetone does it for me.

Hi Goldaddict,

For repairing coils, some old skid plate dissolved in acetone to make a thick paste works nicely.
However, even though you are rough on your gear, I would still contact Rohan and see what he says. I think he will be very interested as your usage has shown up some weak points and without knowing these weak points, the design cannot be improved.

Fill out the contact form and I'm sure they will get back to you.
https://www.nuggetfinder.com.au/contact

Cheers Mick

Thanks for your advice everyone!

It turns out that Rohan from Nugget Finder saw this post and reached out to me offering to replace the plastic with a thicker black plastic.
Now that is what i call great customer service! Extremely happy and thankful with this result.

Goldaddict21 said:

It turns out that Rohan from Nugget Finder saw this post and reached out to me offering to replace the plastic with a thicker black plastic.
Now that is what i call great customer service! Extremely happy and thankful with this result.

Good stuff, deserves to be recognised for the great support.

Goldaddict21 said:

Nugget Finder after sales service and product back up as always is second to non :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Hi BigWave, Just got back after a week, yes should be back out about then.
Hang on to your 6000, I worked along side two 6000's in a well flogged area by all detectors over the years but not the 6000, these two went through and picked up all the little left overs, just amazing.

Have you had any trouble with your 6000 or the coil?
Cheers
Pro-oz

I had an issue with a short in the wire going in to the coil , Everyone said I need a new coil , not a repairable location , So it can't hurt to try fixing before I buy a new one , Here is my fix works fine now
coil repair 002.JPGcoil repair 003.JPGcoil repair 005.JPG

2 part casting resin does not stick well so I cut grooves in the cover to give it something to adhere to .

I had an issue with a short in the wire going in to the coil , Everyone said I need a new coil , not a repairable location , So it can't hurt to try fixing before I buy a new one , Here is my fix works fine now
View attachment 2028View attachment 2029View attachment 2030

2 part casting resin does not stick well so I cut grooves in the cover to give it something to adhere to .
You could also drill and tap and use plastic - nylon screws - bolts

Latest posts