Different Specific Gravity Tests.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makarei said:
in the small piece that broke off its 90% visible. In the large rock about 40% visible over the entire piece as its in clusters.
What an awful problem to have! :playful:

It can be done on smaller pieces, but they will not really tell you anything that is really useful, and I wonder if you might destroy a specimen that is worth more intact. It can be done on the piece as a whole anyway, which would be very useful, but you need to go to a lot of trouble to do so (but would probably need to in order to sell it). The SG method would only work accurately if it is very pure quartz and gold, without iron oxides, carbonate minerals, sulphide minerals etc., depending on the proportions of other minerals. Do you have a photo to make it easier to advise?

here is a photo of the small piece. I put it on eBay with some high res images.

Its not magnetic

@madtuna Do you have access to a multi meter? Yes, it has continuity from all pieces of gold. for example: If touching Gold to Gold it makes a sound.
If touching the brown to brown parts or red to red parts the multi meter does not make a sound.

1607086295_5_cents.jpg

Makarei said:
well I broke off a small size of quartz rock it is 131.13g on scales and the wet weight using the above dangling in water not touching sides etc give a weight of 111.04g so now need to work out gold in the broken off piece.

that comes to aprox 90 grams so if the rest of your rock is like that congrats!!

Latest posts