Difference Between Inverted Large Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my newbie ignorance madtuna, but I have to ask...

I understand that from what I've read so far, inverting the signal may be good for personal preference or to suit ones own particular hearing, but I have wondered is there any actual advantage to it in any particular situation?

I ask because I mostly hunt deeper areas of the GT using larger coils. I haven't found anything worthwhile yet but I'm cool with that as that's how I get my jollies and I realize it will probably be a long while between worthwhile digs. However, I'm wondering would a larger deeper target benefit from using inverted by possibly standing out more from ground or background noise by presenting itself as a high tone rather than a low? And, does that then mean that all of the :poop: on and near the surface like pellets, rusty wire, shotgun cartridge ends etc., etc., that I'm endlessly kicking away, would then just give me low tones instead of screaming at me in a high tone? I guess most importantly, for someone seeking larger deeper gold, would it potentially help make a deeper larger target stand out more against ground noise rather than just present as a broad ground noise sound?

Thanks in advance for any insightful reply :Y:

That's a good question and could have good merit to it Deepseeker, would be interesting to do a test on an un-dug deep target to see the difference it makes.
Hopefully someone here has done so.

Deepseeker said:
Please excuse my newbie ignorance madtuna, but I have to ask...

I understand that from what I've read so far, inverting the signal may be good for personal preference or to suit ones own particular hearing, but I have wondered is there any actual advantage to it in any particular situation?

I ask because I mostly hunt deeper areas of the GT using larger coils. I haven't found anything worthwhile yet but I'm cool with that as that's how I get my jollies and I realize it will probably be a long while between worthwhile digs. However, I'm wondering would a larger deeper target benefit from using inverted by possibly standing out more from ground or background noise by presenting itself as a high tone rather than a low? And, does that then mean that all of the :poop: on and near the surface like pellets, rusty wire, shotgun cartridge ends etc., etc., that I'm endlessly kicking away, would then just give me low tones instead of screaming at me in a high tone? I guess most importantly, for someone seeking larger deeper gold, would it potentially help make a deeper larger target stand out more against ground noise rather than just present as a broad ground noise sound?

Thanks in advance for any insightful reply :Y:
Hi DS,
I played around a bit with inverted vs normal and for me I found no real advantage, I think it depends on your hearing. No doubt for some there would be a benifit just as adjusting the tone to suit your hearing.

In an area strewn with a lot of surface rubbish there could be an advantage if there were deeper larger targets, as that rising pitch is what we are mostly acustomed to which should stand out amongst the surface crap.

madtuna said:
You missed the point Reg.
Too many walk away from a target dismissing it as a ground noise.
I did this exact thing on Saturday, I had an area of 1x1 foot with a wide ground noise but just the hint of a warble in the middle, I scraped about 1" off and had the same ground noise but still that slight warble in the middle, I called it for that orange/pink slatey sandstone rock that signals nicely on the GPX, so I scraped another 1" off the top to reveal exactly that, the orange/Pink sandstone rock :mad:
Normally I'd back fill and walk away but I was determined to be very thorough this trip so decided to dig out the rock to be 100% sure and yep the rock still signalled out of the hole but the 0.85g piece of gold that came out with it signalled better ;)
So.....I learnt a big lesson on Saturday, I have no doubt I've walked away from a gold target more than once believing it was the ground noise around the target......I won't make that mistake again :8
Dig everything until you are 100% sure what it is :Y:

For me its a matter of personal preference when referencing inverted .
Madtuna hit the nail on the head , when digging everything , a break in threshold is all you need to dig , didnt have to be a noise . Speaking from personal experience :Y:

Latest posts