Difference Between Inverted Large Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Difference Between Inverted Descent To Large Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals

Hello all. I have decided to post my short research of my findings on the above topic because I think it may help prospectors especially detectorists, in recognising the difference. If you notice I have separated the sizes in the sub-headline saying Descent To Large Inverted Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals. This is so because there is a misconception that when you hear an inverted target it means big gold. According to the findings I have done, I found out that inverted Gold signals can be found from as little as a 1/2 ouncer, that's why I have put them in the category of descent sized Gold signals.

Their difference is that, the descent to large inverted Gold signals have a Low to High response, and the small Gold targets have a High to Low response. Note: these target signal response types only applies to the Minelab GP, GPX and GPZ detectors. The large Gold inverted signals have a fairly distinct almost musical target response tone and it happens with nuggets somewhere above and at least 10 ounces especially when they're deep and before they are dug.

I have also seen some people getting excited when they hear a loud screaming sound of a High to Low target signal response and think it's a big nugget, and later find out that it's just a small nugget. This is because the gold target is shallow close to the surface, or one is getting close to the target when digging. An Inverted Low to High target response if not trash, mostly means a descent to large Gold target, now that's something to get excited about.

I have put a list of video links below, so you can see and hear my research findings, please take your time on all the videos and go through each and every one of them to understand. I also want to see who is observant to pick up on something in one of the videos that will put a twist to my research. I hope this has helped especially those starting out in detecting, and even the seasoned prospectors who might not have got this. Thank you all and wish you GOLD LUCK.

https://youtu.be/9pig9b4V6DU
https://youtu.be/QDEXsjXLJ6M
https://youtu.be/PyoEE71J1l8
https://youtu.be/_nLhuP93TYc
https://youtu.be/i7-FFXfR1tI
https://youtu.be/Bl6k-9lj5Z4

Hi there Gold Passion, just curious why you've taken other peoples YouTube video's and loaded them onto your channel instead of just putting their links to the video's up, did you have to get their permission to do so?

No offence intended......people bang on about the so called "GPZ warble"....a"down noise" a "high low response".....with all due respect mate...who cares?
The point is, if there is a repeatable signal, you need to investigate...I have no interest as to what kind of signal pulls me up...just that a signal does pull me up....after that it makes no difference untill the target is in your hand.

Gold Passion said:
Difference Between Inverted Descent To Large Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals

Hello all. I have decided to post my short research of my findings on the above topic because I think it may help prospectors especially detectorists, in recognising the difference. If you notice I have separated the sizes in the sub-headline saying Descent To Large Inverted Gold Signals And Small Gold Signals. This is so because there is a misconception that when you hear an inverted target it means big gold. According to the findings I have done, I found out that inverted Gold signals can be found from as little as a 1/2 ouncer, that's why I have put them in the category of descent sized Gold signals.

Their difference is that, the descent to large inverted Gold signals have a Low to High response, and the small Gold targets have a High to Low response. Note: these target signal response types only applies to the Minelab GP, GPX and GPZ detectors. The large Gold inverted signals have a fairly distinct almost musical target response tone and it happens with nuggets somewhere above and at least 10 ounces especially when they're deep and before they are dug.

I have also seen some people getting excited when they hear a loud screaming sound of a High to Low target signal response and think it's a big nugget, and later find out that it's just a small nugget. This is because the gold target is shallow close to the surface, or one is getting close to the target when digging. An Inverted Low to High target response if not trash, mostly means a descent to large Gold target, now that's something to get excited about.

I have put a list of video links below, so you can see and hear my research findings, please take your time on all the videos and go through each and every one of them to understand. I also want to see who is observant to pick up on something in one of the videos that will put a twist to my research. I hope this has helped especially those starting out in detecting, and even the seasoned prospectors who might not have got this. Thank you all and wish you GOLD LUCK.

https://youtu.be/908wYB6RcLo
https://youtu.be/L-7lcrsCg6c
https://youtu.be/_nLhuP93TYc
https://youtu.be/0V-KSXLSXBE
https://youtu.be/QwlY12NvKm8

"The large Gold inverted signals have a fairly distinct almost musical target response tone and it happens with nuggets somewhere above and at least 10 ounces especially when they're deep and before they are dug."

I wouldn't know about this as I have never found a nugget anywhere near 10 ounces. As Goldtalk Leonora said, it's a repeatable signal so just dig it.

Cheers

Doug

Thank you for your response. In my first post some of the videos I needed to edit them to suit what I want to put a cross, that's why I had to repost them on my Youtube channel. Unfortunately I can't find a link anymore to edit my first post here at PA, but I have reposted with the original video links direct to their owners. I apologise if it has caused you guys some concern. Yes this research is based on Youtube findings not my real experience, but I see no difference in substance to what I am trying to put across because we also learn from other people's experiences. I hope I have clarified and cleared things up so we can focus on the point I am trying to put across.

With all due respect Gold Passion it is plain to see you are only trying to help.
I'm with the "dig everything regardless" gang.

Gives me a laugh every time I read comments "Does it punch deeper, air tests, test beds, 0.0001g found at 1 X metre etc etc?"
We all know (well most) you can NOT reciprocate a gold target signal again after it has been brought to the surface.
Some outrageous claims of depth can be put down to not pinpointing correctly and target falling from side of hole near ground level as hole is expanded.

Hear it, dig it, regardless!

Rockhunter62 and Goldtalk Leonora "if it's a repeatable signal just dig it". I do understand where you are coming from that it might seem like it doesn't matter but to just dig if there is a signal. My point I am trying to put across is for the sake of knowing upfront before you even dig what to expect, and getting to know the detector what it's telling you. I guess it's good to learn some new things and share ideas that's why we are here on PA. It all depends on how you prospect. Thank you.

I'd say I'm too green to know what I'm hearing so far when I'm out detecting. I haven't found gold yet with the 5000, but of all the junk I have found I know the Lead balls and bullet heads certainly seemed to sound different from the steel, brass and copper that I've found. I had always assumed that when you hear someone say they can tell what the target is, that it was more a credible claim from the guys looking for coins as I suppose they would get to know the sound of something that in each denomination in a particular country is a standard size, shape, and alloy composition during any particular era.

I've just followed what I've read on here from the more experienced people- if it doesn't disappear when you kick the top litter away, and if it's a repeatable signal and doesn't disappear when you approach it from a different direction, and if it's still there when you've scraped an inch or two of soil off- DIG IT. Now, in my case it's always been :poop: targets thus far, but it's still fun. I spent a good couple of hours on one of my first trips near Milkmaid Gully in Dunolly digging a nice mellow signal that came to nothing, even after moving the car to where I was so I could readily access the spud bar and spades. I had to keep taking a rest, drinking heaps of water and going back to it and digging some more. I would have been close to a good 3 feet deep in clay and still nothing. It was only when I read later on here a post by Davent where he said how he still got the signal from the soil around the hole that he had dug that he called it as ground noise and moved on, that I immediately recognized that was what it was as I was confused at the time at how the noise was in the hole but now also all around it :8

I also remember reading an interview with Mick Brown, the guy from Kerang who found a 2.7 Kg nugget at Inglewood in 2015 that said this-

Twice he swept over the area with his metal detector and dismissed the target, believing it was a large piece of scrap metal.

"I went over it a couple of times and it blew my ears off but I thought it was steel," he said

"It started annoying me because I wanted to grid the area off so I decided to dig it up."

He had also said in an interview with another paper, that it must have been detected before as all around it there were holes that had been dug by others. I wonder how many of those detectorists also heard that 2.7 Kg Screamer, dismissed it and kept walking because it didn't give off a Low-High signal :lol:

Maybe I am coming across differently to what you are all picking up. I am not saying don't dig, i also believe in dig everything zero iron reject detecting. I am just trying to help purely for knowledge base, that you at least already know what to expect before you dig, on what the target and the detector is telling you, just like what the people in the videos are saying. For example when you experience EMI or ground noise and your detector becomes unstable, you become aware that you need to adjust your settings and ground balance your detector. There are also some targets which could be buried in an upright position or they have a weird shape and give out a funny unstable response, this tells you what to expect of your target before you dig. In all sense the hear it dig it, is the right mantra I am all for that as well, because you never know, but at least you start digging with a bit of knowledge of what to expect. :cool:

Hi Gold Passion,

I think that you will find that most of us learn what our detector is telling us and adjust our machines if need be. Different noises do indicate certain targets or background noise. We learn as we go and put that knowledge in the back of our mind for later. Most of us can't explain good enough to pass this knowledge on so it's just a lot easier to say "dig all targets".

A bit of one on one in the field is a lot easier to do than trying to explain it here on the forum.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Doug

Jaros said:
Yep, hear it-dig it!! You could be Soooooorry!!! :(
Couldnt agree more. A horse shoe, a 1 ouncer near or on the surface - not much difference to me. I wouldn't take the risk!!!
1559383626_32_grams-1.jpg
Jun

Rockwall said:
Jaros said:
Yep, hear it-dig it!! You could be Soooooorry!!! :(
Couldnt agree more. A horse shoe, a 1 ouncer near or on the surface - not much difference to me. I wouldn't take the risk!!!https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10067/1559383626_32_grams-1.jpgJun
Awesome nugget Rockwall congrats, and wish you more.

One of the biggest mistakes people make (both new chums and experienced) is assuming what a target is...people say they can tell the difference between gold and junk....no you can't. Thats fine by me as these people will be walking away from gold....this is a good thing. Gold Passion I love your passion mate....but trying to predict what a target is before I dig it serves no purpose to me in my prospecting day.

IMO you have to dig every thing ,there are many variables depth shape size the day, most of the time I am running in deep and inverted some time you get one that you do not know what pulled you up on it seems to be no signal but you just have to dig it ,I had one over Easter a 3.5 gram at between 12 and 14 inches very happy with that regards john :D

Agree..dig the lot, especially in remote areas without rubbish.

Signals aren't always signals, don't look for signals. Dig anything repeatable, it can be a repeatable 'nothing' just a break or a gap in the threshold not necessarily a noise.

Also sometimes you'll get a signal when sweeping one way but not when approached from another dirrection...who cares, investigate it any way.

Same with ground noises, never walk away from a ground noise without investigation. Turn a ground noise into a target.

As for inverted signals, some nuggets 2 grams and under will invert, not just bigget pieces.

madtuna said:
Agree..dig the lot, especially in remote areas without rubbish.

Signals aren't always signals, don't look for signals. Dig anything repeatable, it can be a repeatable 'nothing' just a break or a gap in the threshold not necessarily a noise.

Also sometimes you'll get a signal when sweeping one way but not when approached from another dirrection...who cares, investigate it any way.

Same with ground noises, never walk away from a ground noise without investigation. Turn a ground noise into a target.

As for inverted signals, some nuggets 2 grams and under will invert, not just bigget pieces.

Absolutely. No point going detecting if you don't want to use a pick.

Latest posts