Did a miner drop this apple tree seed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This apple tree is growing on one of the early paths to the goldfields,which went through my wifes people place,which the family have lived there since 1850.My wifes father said at certain of the year you could see the wagon tracks to the creek where they camped.
I had apple guru as you might say looked at it,and from his expext opinion,he claims it was "CatsHead" a apple not grown in Australia.

Here is the tree sitting on rise above a creek

1B2IAHFl.jpg

Loaded with fruit,and no grubs

vLhTyjvl.jpg

Apples from the tree.
DGVjOSUl.jpg

Geography/History
Catshead apples are believed to be native to England and are one of the oldest apple varieties still in existence in the country. The exact origins of this variety are mostly unknown, with the first recorded document appearing in 1629, but it is believed that the variety was growing prior to 1629 and was simply not recorded until that date. Catshead apples became widely popular across Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries and were one of the first European apples to be brought to America. Once established in the New World, the apples were extensively cultivated in Virginia until the early 20th century when they began to be overshadowed by newer, improved varieties. Today Catshead apples are rare in both Europe and the United States and are primarily found through specialty growers and local markets. The Catshead apples in the photograph above were found at the Perry Court farm stand in Ashford, which is a town in the county of Kent, England.

Another thing about the apple is it keeps well,suitable for the journey to Australia

A pic of the stump would help to age it but by the looks I'd guess it's maybe 30 years old.

Latest posts