Deteknix / Quest Wirefree - wireless headphones and tx/rx set ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Condor says, you need to make sure the Transmitter and Receiver (in the headphones) have a clean line of sight. The receiver is on the "controls" side of the headphones which is actually labelled L (left) on the headband. No problem spinning them around the other way as detectors output mono signal.

Yes, older Deteknix version with the hardwired audio cable was good and bad. The good was that the USB port suffered a lot less wear. You could even choose to keep the charge cable permanently inserted. The bad part was that if your audio cable went bad you had to send it back for a new one to be fitted. With the new Quest version, if your audio cable goes bad it is just plug and play with a new cable.

With lots of use, nearly all USB ports wear and become problematic - pretty much like every mobile and laptop I've every used. Keep them clean, and be careful with your cables, and you should get good service life out of them. All Quest WireFree gear is covered by a 2 yr warranty if problems do arise.

Jeff said:
Hey DD yep Ive been using those for about a year now- love em, really convenient. But I will say Ive had problems with the lead from the detector to the transmitter- only lasts about a month before its frayed and cutting in and out. So I by a bunch at a time, $6 each.
Still Id recommend them to anyone.
Hi Jeff
Just wondering where about your getting the leads from as I'm struggling to find them in the electronic stores.
Cheers mate

PhaseTech said:
As Condor says, you need to make sure the Transmitter and Receiver (in the headphones) have a clean line of sight. The receiver is on the "controls" side of the headphones which is actually labelled L (left) on the headband. No problem spinning them around the other way as detectors output mono signal.

Yes, older Deteknix version with the hardwired audio cable was good and bad. The good was that the USB port suffered a lot less wear. You could even choose to keep the charge cable permanently inserted. The bad part was that if your audio cable went bad you had to send it back for a new one to be fitted. With the new Quest version, if your audio cable goes bad it is just plug and play with a new cable.

With lots of use, nearly all USB ports wear and become problematic - pretty much like every mobile and laptop I've every used. Keep them clean, and be careful with your cables, and you should get good service life out of them. All Quest WireFree gear is covered by a 2 yr warranty if problems do arise.
Hi Nenad
Just wondering if you sell that cable mate? As I'm struggling to find one at shops like Jaycar.
Cheers mate

Quest Wirefree Mate is excellent, great battery life and quick recharge.

I use it with deep-insertion in-ear-monitors (etymotic brand). Great noise-cancellation and despite the things going seriously deep into your ear canal, they are super comfortable - I forget they are in.

The etymotics are also excellent for listening to and producing music, some of the most detailed and neutral IEMs on the market. But they stay with the detector kit usually :)

I am switching to a Detectronics Busy B DBV battery kit:

https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/product-page/busy-b-dbv-wireless-battery-system

So you have a lightweight battery strapped to the control box, and it has an integrated wireless transmitter. The kit comes with a receiver like the Quest unit, and you supply your own headphones.

Allows you to be totally wire-less from the detector. Cannot stand the curly cable.

Hi Everyone

Just wondering who else has used these headphones and what there experience was like with them?, I unfortunately have only used mine 3 time twice before COVID-19 and now once after we were aloud to move around and go for a swing, mine continuously cuts in and out as if someone is flicking the switch on and off so bad that on my latest outing I had to revert back to my standard wired headphones.
So just wondering if this is a common problem with them or Im just very unlucky to get a dud unit?.

Cheers
I’m having similar issues with mine.