detectormods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
So when the minelab warrenty runs out, or if your machine has been modded, will minelab do service or repairs on a modded machine if you pay?
When your warranty runs out Minelab will do service or repairs but only to stock Minelab machines.
I asked years ago about whether they would check a modded detector if I purchased it. They basically replied that they won't service/repair modded machines whether under warranty or not. That seems to be confirmed in their warranty conditions here for machines that are under warranty:
Minelab said:
Warranty Conditions
4. To the maximum extent permitted by law this warranty: 4.4 does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, negligent act or omission, alteration, modifications or unauthorised service by the Purchaser or any other party;
You could ask them direct [email protected] but I doubt they've changed their stance on out of warranty machines either.

davent said:
So when the minelab warrenty runs out, or if your machine has been modded, will minelab do service or repairs on a nodded machine if you pay?
Having worked in retail for a few years, warrenty only covers manufacturing faults, and if your machine worked great for 11 months, then played up, its hard to argue its the manufactures fault.
Warrenty is not an issue on anything I buy 2nd hand, most are not worth the paper they are printed on.

When you buy a second hand Minelab detector the warranty stays with the detector for the new owner to use if something goes wrong. I've had to get them to sort out a few minor things in the past few years and their service has been excellent.

If you get a machine modded and it dies you really have very little chance of getting it fixed by someone who mods them unless it is the mod itself that dies, Minelab seriously won't touch them, I don't see why they would actually to be honest, how would they really know what has been done to the thing.

Hi Guys, Nothing aimed at anybody, The 7.64 ounce nugget was found on a tour with gold digger safari the hole was measured by John Dyer and three other people 10/11 inches i have run the detector over it with the mod {5years later} picked it up wast high above ground,air test,The reason you dont hear about mods on the forums to many bashers, as far as repair if my 5000 breaks down and cant be fixed its paid for its self a few times over the mods could be put in another detector, They work for me. agents hate them, Why would minelab worry they dont care bout chinese copy,

Yes, plenty of counterfeits still out there. Guess they have no control over that.
Just seems strange to me that they wouldn't work at all on a modified machine. My hilux is modded, some of my fishing reels have after market drags, Oh well, I have asked woody for a quote, next step, no answer on $/so far.

Dave did u get the email I sent u through the PA email system (couldn't send a PM for some reason)?

Pretty sure that they used to work on modded machines but decided that it was taking far too long to figure out what had been done to some of them? Others were sent in covered in hot glue (possibly to conceal the actual mod) so were difficult or even impossible to do any work on? There were also supposedly machines being sent back under warranty where the mods had tried to be concealed or removed in an effort to make it look like a Minelab fault?
Either way from what Minelab indicated to me they won't even consider working on one now although I believe for minor changes like where a ground balance button has been added to a pre GP3500 machine they will consider it if done correctly to a good standard? You'd have to ask them.
There are a lot of aftermarket mods & accessories for Minelabs that aren't invasive of the control box that won't detract from your warranty or serviceability. Batteries, boosters & coils being obvious ones that are widely used. Sounds like they just don't want to be trying to fix issues to their proprietary electronic hardware that might be like trying to find a needle in a haystack once altered?

Nuggetbuster said:
Dave did u get the email I sent u through the PA email system (couldn't send a PM for some reason)?

No mate, just the pm back in Oct.

Nuggetbuster said:

Mate, your pm inbox is full!

Have a f1a4 , Mods improved sensitivity and depth - these are the simple Gain , timimngs, frequency and a few internal components
HAD a 4000 - Gain and Frequency mod done by one company was pulled out by old owners as it was so noisy and eratic. i had it done by same Co as the F1 and it was an improvement (not major)

davent said:
thanks for the replies, but PLEASE, only reply if YOU have or HAD a modded detector, I don't want to sound rude, but I don't want to hear 2nd,or 3rd hand info, or this guy is better etc, im asking about detector mods, by people who have or still owned and used one.

Hey Davent, I have my 5000 at Woodies right now and he is doing the full works, it's around 5 yrs old so warranty wasn't a worry, my wifes 4500 is still uinder warranty which is why I picked the 5000. We are heading to Sapphire in a couple of weeks and plan to visit Clermont for a session, so comparing the performance of the two could be interesting as both have similar capabilities, albeit the 5000 has a few more adjustments.

Interesting comments about his communication, I emailed him last Saturday, had a reply that afternoon to which I responded, then had a reply around 7.30 that night, wasn't expecting anything that quick. Communication has been excellent and the 5000 should be back this week.

I'll let you know how the comparison goes on the proviso that we find gold. Any target area tips will be well received.....!?

Latest posts