Detector cleaning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day , i was having trouble turning on the X-Terra 705 , checked connections, changed batteries, changed coils, got out the hammer.... then put me specs on and had a closer look at the battery terminals. Very grotty and blueish tinge inside. Googled how to clean this and it is a simple clean with an ear bud soaked in vinegar then scrubbed over the terminal contacts.
Problem solved, thanks internet.
1635498877_img20211029181448_medium.jpg

Quick fix, probably needs a bit more attention .

aussiefarmer said:
You should probably give it a spray with wd40 or something now as I think the vinegar may speed up electrolysis, always remove batteries when not in use should prevent that happening.

Will second that, terminals won't corrode when batteries have been removed.

Righto, thanks for the tip Aussie, by the way i gave WD 40 a go to clean my headlights after internetting that also. Toothpaste was also suggested.
Seemed clearer but not really a long lasting solution, will try the toothpaste tomorrow :/

I sanded,then cut and polished a watch face once that had been looking at a car park surface way too long. Come up a treat too (no bands though), did it for the fun of it. :D