Detecting the good stuff

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day,
Just bought my first detector, been browsing this site for a while now as I'm an obsessive kind of guy and wanted to know what I was talking about before I posted anything.

I take disabled kids out for work 2 days and run disability groups in a Men's shed 3 days. A big part of what I try to do is get them out enjoying the outdoors as it's something they never do because most people find it too hard. I love it, take them out fishing in my boat, deer stalking, spearfishing etc. Best job on earth. Always wanted to have a crack at prospecting and the kids I take out have already worked out what they're going to spend their millions on so safe to say they're excited.

I decided to go for an old vlf machine, figured that would be the best way to learn and then if I decide to upgrade we'll appreciate it more. I bought a Whites 6db, took one of my boys out for a test the other day and it worked better than expected. Happy days.

I'm taking one of my clients out tomorrow for the first time and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. We tried Blackwood the other day and had a great time, no yellow but some shells, pull tabs and heaps of nails etc
Crazy how the motivation just floods back every time the detector sounds off!

Hoping someone can point us in the right direction. I'm a hunter/fisherman and ex comp spearo so I completely understand the whole spot x side of things, just after an area to try where I know we're not wasting our time. If anyone is happy to pass on anything pm me if that suits better, all good if no one wants to share too, I get it.

Already strapped a pan to my hunting backpack, hopefully find my fortune in the backcountry where no ones been before!

Anyway thanks for reading and sorry for the long post, just wanted to introduce myself properly as I'm sure I'll be around a lot now that I've been bitten.

Cheers
Ryan

Hey Ryan
Good to hear you are helping kids and also the mens shed work.
I am in nsw so can't point you - someone will though
Welcome and Good luck

G'day Rhyno welcome to PA, where are you travelling from and how far do you want to go. Heathcote is a nice easy destination from Melbourne suburbs you'll find plenty of targets how many will be the right colour is anyone's guess if any at all. You could also venture to Graytown from Heathcote and find plenty of areas to try. A little further in kilometres is Dunolly, Castlemaine or even Bendigo. Hope this helps all the best.

Rhyno said:
I bought a Whites 6db, took one of my boys out for a test the other day and it worked better than expected.

Probably a better relic / coin detector - what kind of coil do you have?

Rhyno said:
Hoping someone can point us in the right direction. I'm a hunter/fisherman and ex comp spearo so I completely understand the whole spot x side of things, just after an area to try where I know we're not wasting our time. If anyone is happy to pass on anything pm me if that suits better, all good if no one wants to share too, I get it.

There's areas around Castlemaine, Nuggety (near Maldon), Dunolly, Tarnagulla that I have found worthwhile with a VLF.

Good luck on your travels.

thinking they are a bit of relic lol but if you find some close enough they will find it , most places I have been lately would have been disappointing to you , not even junk to find
just go to your nearest gold fields and look for obvious signs of junk cans etc and old rusty stuff , because if there is junk around then it hasnt been thrashed and you might just get lucky also old buildings you might find some coins

good luck

Cheers guys, thanks a lot.
I'm in Cranbourne, my old man lives in Neerim Sth so I spend a lot of time out that way. Have hunted the forests around there all my life so I've got my eyes on a few spots.
First place I tried panning a month ago was Hawthorn Creek, got about 10 specks in an hour and a half. Went home very happy, hooked right from the start. That place has been worked over hard so we were stoked to get any at all.
Happy to travel a couple of hours as I get paid for fuel, reckon we'll try a few spots out Ballarat, Castlemaine, Maldon way tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Are there any rivers/creeks out that way that are worth a look?
The guy I'm taking tomorrow loved panning and will want to have a crack again for sure.

If anyone ever wants the heads up on some fishing/ hunting spots feel free to hit me up, more than happy to help!
Cheers

Thanks for all the help guys, ended up in Creswick. Had a bit of a look around with the detector, no yellow but plenty of other bits and pieces to keep us interested. Some shells, buttons, steel and a one dollar coin.

Detector seems to work pretty good, some of the rocks do my head in when they set it off. Will take some time to get used to the different sounds I think. Will I be able to use the detectors discriminate setting to tell them apart from the gold?

Also did some panning in Slateys which was much more productive and eventful. I'll post a report in the panning section.
Cheers

1498788804_img_5412.jpg

hey rhyno great to see your taking people out for a new experience, iv heard of some good color in pans coming from sailors creek in daylesford a while ago and slatey creek in creswick just keeps on producing color from what iv heard

also detecting beaches can be a great adventure, finding all them $1-2 coins is always fun and you might end up with a ring or bracelet at the end of the day :D

Thanks mate, we tried Creswick the other day and went ok. Have to have a look at Sailors.

Just got google earth running on my Projector so I'll be looking at some more remote places asap. With all my hunting/fishing experience I'm really not a fan of hitting up places that have been hit hard.

Latest posts