Detecting Cape York

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Doing a Cape York trip in June for the whole month and just wondering if there is any areas worth a look on my way up . I am not super serious only have a nox 800
I know its not a gold machine as I said not super serious on gold.
I see goldfields around Wenlock and Cooktown.
Also on the way back want to spend a few nights around Georgetown so wondering which property is the best out of all the stays.
Thanks Heaps
cheers Gary
If not in correct forum area please move

Hi Jaros
I havent thought of that area as I was under the impression that there is not alot of area you are allowed to go
thanks for reply

Almost no private detecting in the Palmer River area, unless you get permission from a lease holder.
Forsayth just South of Georgetown.
Western Creek Station - run by Shirley and Geoff 0740625591.
Was $15 per night -plenty of camp sites, with donkey for hot water showers and long drops.
Very friendly and accommodating.
Also see: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19047

lures63 said:
Hi Jaros
I havent thought of that area as I was under the impression that there is not alot of area you are allowed to go
thanks for reply

That's correct, there is no general permission anywhere on the Palmer. You have to know someone

BigWave's tip is good, Western Creek station is the best of the lot at Georgetown, I go there regularly and get gold every time.

Thanks for replies guys , really appreciate it
I have been told Palmerville station is now open to detecting
thanks again

davent said:
I did an exercise with the army in the late 80s at Coen, was told there was nuggets gold around there, but exactly I dont know.

There is gold there but.....for the average prospector without extensive local contacts access is very difficult due to green tape, private property tape, native title tape and red tape.
Georgetown area was much easier.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4105/1616205387_palmerville_station_-_landowner_s_consent_to_fossicking_v2.pdf

1616205308_img_8064r.jpg

Just got to set the record straight with Fossicking on Palmerville. the ABCD areas where the no go areas as they have mustering or mineral exploration interest of there own in them areas
That agreement Simmo put up ran out on the 15 Jan 2021 and there web site now no longer is there so I am not sure if detecting on Palmerville will go ahead again but it would be good to have an area that people can go.
Cheers Greg :D

Appreciate the clarification and update Greg. I'm trying to contact Palmerville to buy a 2021 Season Pass but can't get through to them.

Did you do any good around Coen ? I mainly found tin in the creeks and rivers and relics around the old mines !

Latest posts