Detecting after big seas in Newcastle!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopa

Tim
Reaction score
Decided to have a swing at Newcastle Beach after the large swells. Plenty of sea foam and black sand! I didn't do to bad, although a bit low on the ring count. Found one Gold and only one silver ring. 31 coins, 13 of which are pre-decimal however the coppers are pretty toasted. Silvers are in better nick with the earliest being 1944. The large copper coin near the rings in the photo I believe is a cartwheel penny! Heavily corroded but you can clearly see the wide outer rim, George 111 and britannia on the reverse. No inscription can be read but if you've ever handled a cartwheel you know how thick and heavy they are compared to other pennies. Unfortunately I didn't run into any other detectorists down there but get out and have a swing before the sand returns. Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• 20220313_082530.jpg
    20220313_082530.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 8
Doesn't matter how early we go, we never get everything. I hope other locals have been out there hitting the cuts and black sand and finding treasures!

Well done Scoopa, the glint of gold in the scoop never gets old!
I hope the big copper turns out to be a cartwheel for you after a clean up.

Thanks ausdetection. It's a very corroded coin but after clean up, and when compared to the coin I use in my avatar (which I found some years ago) it appears to be a cartwheel. Now my question is "When and how did a cartwheel penny get on Newcastle beach". I guess we'll never know!

Congrats on the cartwheel mate, ripper find. “How did it get there?”…….I guess that’s the part where you can let your mind run free 👍