Detecing Breakaways?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
I was talking with a fellow prospector today about prospecting and he mentioned that he always does well on the rear side of breakaways. I have always detected the front side of the breakaway thinking that would be the more likely spot to find gold. Can anyone explain why the rear side is the place to go?

erosion is a wonderful thing...gold could be front side and/or backside or any combo in between!!

Look up a thing called topographic inversion with regards to breakaways......today's breakaways are eroding and the low lying areas they erode to will become tomorrows breakaways....even though the laterite is 're-worked' it can still contain gold if the conditions are right.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
erosion is a wonderful thing...gold could be front side and/or backside or any combo in between!!

Look up a thing called topographic inversion with regards to breakaways......today's breakaways are eroding and the low lying areas they erode to will become tomorrows breakaways....even though the laterite is 're-worked' it can still contain gold if the conditions are right.

The breakaways we have been talking about are out your way goldtalk. I am looking into it now. Looks like I may have been missing some gold not having a look at the rear of the breakaways. Will be changing a few things up now.

An old fella from the Sandstone/Magnet area told me to try any ground regardless of its composition if it's in an area where you've found gold and he was spot on, I found a few nice pieces detecting over sand, being a newbie I never would have tried there, I would have kept looking in the Salt/Pepper/Ironstone ground.

Could anyone provide a quick explanation (or picture) of what is classed as a breakaway? Its not a term Im familiar with and a quick search didnt find much.

DK, This should give you an idea of what they look like.

1639813851_prospecting_068.jpg

shakergt said:
Goldtalk Leonora said:

The breakaways we have been talking about are out your way goldtalk. I am looking into it now. Looks like I may have been missing some gold not having a look at the rear of the breakaways. Will be changing a few things up now.

there ya go shakergt....if you had done one of our training courses you would have been years ahead!!! Working breakaways and the logic behind it are the basics of prospecting in wa. Anyway.....shameless plug over.

Latest posts