Detech to release range of coils for the Garrett Axiom

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Detech are going to make a full range of coils for the Axiom too which will give it a bit of a boost. Spirals, DD, Concentric, Anti Interference the lot in both closed and open coil designs. They intend to make them deeper, more sensitive and light weight.

This is a big advantage the Axiom will have over Minelab, a range of aftermarket coils with no limitations due to chips in the coils preventing it. Some guy in his shed can make a coil for the Axiom, it's just a 4 pin microphone line plug for it's coil plug and coil makers have complete freedom, no need for approval or making coils to manufacturers controls and specifications. Good things are coming for the Axiom that's for sure.

Realistically, I can't imagine Detech diving into much manufacturing of Axiom coils until they've seen the new detector prove itself in the marketplace first.

Unfortunately, your perceived advantage for the Axiom of a simple mic line coil plug and easy access for aftermarket/homemade coils, tells us that the Axiom is basically a pretty simple sort of PI detector. Minelabs used to be like this several decades ago, while TDI's and QED's still are easily adaptable to alternative coils.

Back in the 90's, PI's opened up the Aussie goldfields after the VLF's had had their day and plenty of big, deep nuggets became findable. Sadly, those days are pretty much over and Minelab's machines have had to become more and more sensitive and complex to remain winners. As a result, all other PI manufacturers have been left behind in their dust.

The need to improve Axiom sensitivity just prior to release, after the highly-touted prototypes were globally tested in the field by experienced prospectors, tells us plenty, as does the factory's apparent unwillingness (inability?) to fit the Axiom with a manual ground balance control, instead of just a push-button retune. Garrett trying to play catch-up to Minelab with what sounds more and more like an expensive, digital Infinium, ain't going to cut it, in my view.

So you think because a coil doesn't have a chip preventing aftermarket manufacturers making coils that the detector is "simple" ? The GPZ has 5 wires when you exclude the security chip, 2 of which are shield wires and it's got a far more complex coil design than a mono coil, how many wires do you think the GPX 6000 has when you exclude the chip? :) The plug type is irrelevant to the complexity of the detector.

The difference between Garrett Prototype testing and Minelab prototype testing is Garrett didn't force the people to stay completely quiet, they were open about these things so you know they tweaked the sensitivity before release, you hear nothing about Minelab prototypes.

Yes, they're playing catch up, I think everyone is aware of that, but they've taken a big leap and it will be interesting to see how Detech goes to improve performance on it even more. They have confirmed they are making Mono, DD, Anti Interference coils for it and also very likely Concentric coils, they're planning to do spiral windings, this is all in the works at the moment.

Rather than imagining what you think Detech may or may not be doing, why do you not ask them? They are making Axiom coils.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing Detech's coils, they have the freedom to do whatever they like with Axiom coils, not build coils to the size, specification and winding type the detector manufacturer instructs them that they can build with their approval and a VERY limited basic range so things are looking great for the Axiom, X-coils may even join the party and do coils for it. It will be like the good old days with the earlier model GPX all over again and we all know what the aftermarket coils brought to those detectors. The security chips are great for making money for the manufacturer, they've never been great for the customer and thankfully Garrett had no interest in following that well beaten path, good times ahead.

Still no love from Detech on the Axiom coils, fortunately x-coils have made a start and I hear are getting plenty of interest....first batch better be a big one!

Still no love from Detech on the Axiom coils, fortunately x-coils have made a start and I hear are getting plenty of interest....first batch better be a big one!
Why? Are there hordes of enthusiaistic Axiom users out in the field?

On paper, the machine seemed to have a lot to offer, but the fact that dealers were heavily discounting it as soon as it became available, wasn't a promising start and it has scarcely rated a mention here on PA since it was released.

Axiom was discounted for a short while, not for some time now as far as I can see? I'm selling mine, due to being gifted a 6000 but after several months using both I can only say the verdict is still out. At high gain It's at least as sensitive to tiny gold. Their small mono is a noisy thing, but where it does handle the ground (including some ground the 6000 struggled with) it has some other attributes that make it a contender, super fast tracking, nice tone, metal check.. with a growing choice of coils I wouldn't write this one off. As far as 'popularity' goes, it's not surprising, USA company with no real apparent desire to dominate our tiny market sales.. and a lot of potential ML owner bias. I'd keep both (and will if I can find a way) as it's a detector that would get use as a second (or main) rather than never get used.

Last edited:
Thanks, no worries. anyone wants more observations just ask. Apparently there is a software upgrade coming and this is one detector for which that and a bigger selection of coils 'could' tip the difference. Our group had 2 of 3 6000 new mono coils fail in weeks this year. I'd rather support ML but they 'may' need to lift their game..

Why? Are there hordes of enthusiaistic Axiom users out in the field?

On paper, the machine seemed to have a lot to offer, but the fact that dealers were heavily discounting it as soon as it became available, wasn't a promising start and it has scarcely rated a mention here on PA since it was released.
Iv been following the Axiom since it was first mentioned before being released.
It looked promising.
But after release it didn't. I watched numerous videos of it with guys down on their knees, even the guy from the US forum here in OZ with others all with garden trowels picking at virtual specks. No actual nuggets got found. That was telling as they were being given the Golden Tour by an Aussie in various good fields.
I read and saw other things saying it was well tested here yet only saw again specks, no nuggets.
It certainly looks the go design and weight wise but from everything iv seen following it its just so far a very expensive speck picker.
Not doubt if swung over scarcely detected ground it'll produce, but so could an SD.
If it hasn't got the outright grunt from the get go to pull up actual nuggets from previously detected good producing areas then I doubt any coil will transform it Cinderella wise into anything better. Maybe make it a bit better over its existing stock coils, but transform it? Highly doubtful. Its behind Minelabs 5000 and 6000 in my opinion and nothing will help it catch up.
Its way too expensive for a machine that doesn't compete with the top of the heap.

Fair comment I reckon, but I suspect the 6000 is in the same category too!
The 6000 is one of the "top of the heap" detectors?
Personally found some bigger, lumpy bits down deep (despite those that say it only finds small bits) that any GPX 4500/5000 or even GPZ owner would be happy with. Have seen plenty of other nice ones found with it too.
It definitely competes & in some cases outclasses them but each machine has positives that can outclass the other depending on circumstances.

I've been watching the WestOzAdventures videos of Shane and his mate Nigel for a long while. They work in and around the same areas and overall have always seemed pretty evenly matched for results until Nigel switched to using a 6000. Lately there's a big discrepancy showing up in their results, with Nigel finding many more nuggets but Shane and his 7000 way in front on size and weight. Maybe it means nothing, but it's an interesting and intriguing outcome.

Watch the weigh-up at the 16 minute mark onwards in this latest video, to see what I mean:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/westozadventures.23845/post-675266

I've been watching the WestOzAdventures videos of Shane and his mate Nigel for a long while. They work in and around the same areas and overall have always seemed pretty evenly matched for results until Nigel switched to using a 6000. Lately there's a big discrepancy showing up in their results, with Nigel finding many more nuggets but Shane and his 7000 way in front on size and weight. Maybe it means nothing, but it's an interesting and intriguing outcome.

Watch the weigh-up at the 16 minute mark onwards in this latest video, to see what I mean:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/westozadventures.23845/post-675266
As said depending on circumstances.
WA is a long way from the East coast. I've read some of Shane's comnents on his YouTube vids & while they might be correct for his area that certainly doesn't mean they are for all areas. He's steered a few off the 6000 to the more expensive + heavy GPZ & IMO that's not always the best advice, especially in the east.
I've also seen similar vids/comments where GPX 4500/5000's outdo both 6000 + GPZ. It's all very user & area dependent IMHO.

Fair comment I reckon, but I suspect the 6000 is in the same category too!
Agree, the 6000 is in it. But and not but the 6000 is below, but the 5 if you know it with some stuff using the Evos does some things.
Many say the 5 is done. Done my butt. Some settings on the 5 do the 6. 6 in some places is king. But dont for 1 second think the 6 is the ultimate and negates the 5.
Iv seen the 6 blind on 2 ounce bits with every coil it can come with as many others in the chunky stuff. And true, the same can be said in reverse.
In field actual stuff, not test patches.

Latest posts