DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES and BUSH POWER

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true Jaros, however KISS is subjective depending on ones knowledge, so different for all, lol.
Condor I have bitten my tongue for a long time even when you have posted across the top of me countless times like I didn't even exist ? Regardless I will still stay very polite here. But I find your comment very condescending and would very much appreciate if you showed other members respect for their knowledge that I as well as yourself would not posses? I could build you a motor that could break a land speed record, but despite having the knowledge to do so I certainly wouldn't apply it if I was rebuilding my mower motor. I'd use the KISS principle.
Apology if it offends but bloke give it a break as personally I find it most offensive and insulting. If you wish to push Ohm's law, Watts law and all other laws of physics to the limit to power your pie warmer then indeed, knock yourself out. But let other blokes do it their way also be it due to lack of knowledge or not. Step of the throne bloke as your probably a very nice person once you do. Have a good day sir.
Again and I repeat, apology if offended, but I get offended watching people being spoken down to as it's never attractive to be witness to.

Last edited:
Found a photo of an old project from yesteryear that could have made me a fortune if I had had a brain.
Early days prospecting back in the 80's I had problems keeping the battery charged to run "old yella."
Bit of fiddling a farting around, came up with the "black box," a collection of relays.
With Honda 650 12V charging outlet connected to battery, the Engel connected to Honda 240V outlet, could start genny when walking away from camp swinging the old Garrett for hours with out worrying about battery going flat.
When the Honda ran out of fuel the "black box" enabled automatic switch over to Engel running on 12V.
This is where the lack of brain comes into the story.
I contacted Engel and told them in detail how I had successfully managed to auto swap from 240V to 12V running the Engel.
The following year the first Engel was released with auto changeover.
Did not receive any form of recognition from Engel. 😒
Still have the "black box", should send it to Engel for their museum. 😘

Footnote: Certainly didn't cause "Old Yella" any grief, purchased in 1983, still purring today.

View attachment 6204
I wish they still made that genny, the new ones are nice but they all look like the clones, :(

Even nowadays NJ if it's got Honda on it your still pretty right and actually brought this just the other day . 4 stroke and purrs. Pretty much every thing around these parts is red ;)

Brush Cutter.jpg

I have to agree Diginit.... Honda all the way 👍

The Masport chipper/ shredder had the option of the Honda engine over the Briggs and Stratton.... I said ‘Yes please’.
These buggers start first pull every time...💪563DFB51-3441-4950-87BE-E18135E8F5B5.jpeg613A3BEC-5445-48FF-BC87-FBC4ED2D185E.jpeg

Deep cycle batteries and bush power......
The title of the thread....

Just sayin.....
Ok, ok Simmo. lol
As mentioned a few posts above I purchased my Nomad 2 years ago and it is still going very well.
I initially wanted to get a 2 battery system for the car but when I went to the 4wd shop the owner showed me these and I thought yeah, ok I'll give it a try. Weight is about 11kg and it is easy to move around.
I fully charge it before taking it out and have the ciga socket to top up charge whilst driving. This way I get between 5-7 days of power for my fridge and 6000 batteries. That is in summer when temps are up.
I also have a 120w solar panel but I've only ever taken that with me once. Charges faster on the solar panel than the wall socket. I have no idea why.

I also have a very old Waeco CoolPower that is 36AH That I use to run the led lights off.
Pretty simple overall and I'm happy with that.:)

I have not yet fully installed it. However; I've designed a false floor that sits on top of the 3rd row seats using the 4 tie down bolt holes. I have that floor installed, but not finished yet. My next job is to fit T nuts on the underside to install the following - XTM fridge slide for the 40lt Engel Combi on the passenger side and a XTM single drawer unit on the driver side. Followed by carpeting the false floor.

I'm going to fit the battery on the side of the XTM drawer outboard side with the battery Andersons at the rear. Followed by a revised box containing a fuse block, Anderson plugs and the BM320 shunt, so that it is all plug n play. This will be designed once the above is installed, so I can view what space is left.

The box Anderson plugs will be - INPUTS x 2 - 1.Car negative only (Positive goes to the battery Blue 20A DC-DC input) and, 2. Solar mat input when needed. OUTPUTS x 4 - 1. Engel, 2. Travel Buddy Oven and 3/4 2 x spares.

The spares will be for things like Cig Socket/Merit/USB Jiffy boxes, my Jabsco pump when filling the caravan water tank, LED light, 150W inverter if needed, (GXL has a 100W 240VAC in the rear already) or any other 12V need.

I have CAD drawings of all of this install (CAD Manager before I retired :). My way of "measure twice, cut once, lol.
I would love to see photos once it's all done