DD coil in mono mode? = Confused

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I've just purchase a good second hand 4500, I've taken it out once and tried a few different settings and picked up shot, bullet and alike so I must be doing something right.
My SDC picks up a 0.25gram at a depth of 3 inches with no problems, the 11"DD coil in DD mode doesn't.....however if I change it to mono, it picks it up easily

Why is this?

I then tried it on a 2 gram at 6 inches, the SDC no probs, the 11"inch DD on the 4500 yes it picked it up, but in mono it didn't?
Because in Mono timing, the DD coil runs like a Mono, 11 inch dd, now a 5 1/2 inch mono....1 side of coil working

Mick I have used the 4500 since its release date. I have a 7000 also but will always keep the 4500. It is deadly on deep gold and has paid itself off 39 times.

Looking at your deliberations above ....I would encourage you to persist with the 4500 using only mono coils. I would go for a round 12 or 14 mono coil and get a sadie 8" coil or similar for small gold.

The 4500 has the ability to cover ground and find deep gold the SDC will miss...and the SDC is not the detector you want for searching large areas. It has its place but not as an all round detector.

Over time the 4500 will deliver in all ground types and give you more gold. If you use an SDC you may come home with some tiddlers on a daily basis but it will not keep up with 4500 unless there is only tiny ground present. With a 4500 you give yourself the chance to get a hefty slug at depth, missed by others.

Cheers RDD

PS to confuse things...always use the DD mode rather then mono when using mono coils. Folklore says the machine will run very slightly more stable compared to mono...although I have found it is impossible to tell if there is any real difference.
Yes, I'm confused. "Always use DD mode when using mono coils??" I've always read Mono for a Mono coil or Mono with a DD coil as mentioned above. Maybe you found all the nuggets left with your 4500. I haven't found anything with mine but find plenty of small stuff with SDC

From memory the early SD Minelab detectors were designed to work out of the box with an 11” DD coil. Mono coils were also available for these models but there was no switch on the control box for DD or mono, you just changed coils. So SD detector pulses optimized for DD operation had no difficulty also operating mono coil.
With the GPs such as the 4500 which have a mono/DD switch it shouldn’t matter if it is switched to DD as that was the way the earlier SDs from which the GP series evolved. Reading Nenads comment, it may be that Minelab introduced the mono switch to provide a little less twitchiness to the mono signal.
If there is a subtle difference, I must give it a try to see if I can pick it. Should be easy enough once I find my next faint in ground target.
Regarding using DD coils in mono mode, one might wonder if there is a need for super small coils such as a Sadie if one already has a DD coil and can just use it in half size mode. I did very well with an Extreme years ago using the DD coil that way because mono performance on larger mono coils was problematic back then. Of course detector improvements since with the performance of mono coils have obviated the need to use DD coils as the prime coil and these days I never use mine, but there is one still sitting in the box.

Last edited:
I put the DD on my 4500 and the threshold was so even and quiet and didn't seem right. Fixed, Normal and Special, Deep, DD and tried Sharp and Sensitive Extra. Would not get a Rx signal at all on a 0.34gm piece of gold. I put Iron discrimination on 5. It would get a signal on cans, scrap iron and my pick. So I am i right scanning and unless I get a good return there's nothing there. It was strange not digging anything at all.

I put the DD on my 4500 and the threshold was so even and quiet and didn't seem right. Fixed, Normal and Special, Deep, DD and tried Sharp and Sensitive Extra. Would not get a Rx signal at all on a 0.34gm piece of gold. I put Iron discrimination on 5. It would get a signal on cans, scrap iron and my pick. So I am i right scanning and unless I get a good return there's nothing there. It was strange not digging anything at all.
You didn't accidentally put it in Cancel?

Latest posts