Cudgegong River information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Last weekend I took my two sons to their first gemstone sieving at Brisbane valley ck at Oberon. They were thrilled with the zircons and we managed two small sapphires. They are hooked which is great.
I have recently moved to the Kandos-Rylstone area and have read that there have been various gemstones found on the Cudgegong river. Are there any "general" gemstone fossicking spots on the Cudgegong? A closer area to home would be great.

Hi Brumble-Gum , you need to find the black spinel . then you are a chance at finding sapphires & rubies as the Cudgegong is 1 of the primary places for rubies. I am unaware of any general fossicking areas.

Cheers Paul

Hate to disagree with headbut, personally I would just get sapphires etc and leave all the spinel where it is :D

Hi headbut
Thanks for the info I am aware of the spinel association at sapphire bend and Brisbane valley ck areas.
I will start from Rylstone weir and work my way towards the dam keeping an eye out for spinel.
Cheers.

I have heard that the closer to the head of the Cudgegong the less likely you're find anything so Rylstone may not be real good?
I think most gems were found around the Apple Tree Flat, Two Mile Flat, Beryl/Mebul areas thru to where the river now meets Burrendong.

Cheers to mbasko and headbut for the info on this guys I went to an area yesterday found the spinel, run the river sluice and sieves. I managed about 1gm of gold a heap of sapphire chips, 2 small rubies (rice size) and a piece of Smokey quartz.
My boys swam and helped out they had a ball.
Thanks.

Good to hear - think the boys have got the right idea. Good swimming weather, not so good for digging. :lol:
Hopefully with some more attention your spot will throw up some more finds for you.
Edit: p.s thanks for the feedback - any pics?

I have attached image of the 2 small rubies, as I said they are rice sized but they tick off 1 of my bucket list gems.
I will post the other gems if this picture is attached.

1390635981_rubies.jpg

I have attached image of the 2 small rubies, as I said they are rice sized but they tick off 1 of my bucket list gems.
I will post the other gems if this picture is attached.

1390635981_rubies.jpg
Hi mate sorry to dig this 9 year old post up but I can see you’re still active so just thought I’d ask. Was this from the Mudgee side of the river or the Rylstone side? No dramas if you don’t feel comfortable answering. Thanks mate

Hi mate sorry to dig this 9 year old post up but I can see you’re still active so just thought I’d ask. Was this from the Mudgee side of the river or the Rylstone side? No dramas if you don’t feel comfortable answering. Thanks mate
Not sure which side BG got those but records on gemstones in the Cudgegong River suggest that the best areas would be between Windamere & Burrendong dams, particularly out near the 2 Mile Flat area.
I've got some old records & maps here somewhere that I'll put up (if I can find them).

Not sure which side BG got those but records on gemstones in the Cudgegong River suggest that the best areas would be between Windamere & Burrendong dams, particularly out near the 2 Mile Flat area.
I've got some old records & maps here somewhere that I'll put up (if I can find them).
Thanks very much I appreciate the reply

Hi All, we are heading to Mudgee for a week. Are there any public fossicking areas on the Cudgegong River please?
Hate to say it but there aren't any public areas as such set aside. The Mudgee Visitors Centre will direct you out to Windeyer, Hargraves, Hill End etc.
There are a number of bridges, crossings etc. that the river can be accessed from but most of the better areas are via private property. There are some managed lands (TSR's) but they now frown upon any fossicking activities unfortunately. As one of Australia's most historic & reasonably important mineral wealth areas, we've lost the plot here as far as attracting tourists (geo-tourism).
They do allow fossicking out here: https://reflectionsholidayparks.com.au/parks/cudgegong-river/
All I've found out there with the kids are some quartz crystals but it's good fun. However, the water is most likely to be too high at the moment after a few recent flood events. There's some gold around that area out there too but again private property access would be best.

Latest posts