Creswick and surrounds Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a pan in Slaty Creek Creswick. Everyone seems to say there is plenty of fine gold. Found heaps of black sand but only one fly poo speck. I Followed what I thought was the heavies line in the creek ..ie the bigger rocks across inside bends... but no love. Should I be looking else where ie outside of creek bed...or do I just dig deeper?

Heading up to creswick Friday. Been a few months since I've been. Will be nice to finally see some flowing water. Better pack my waders lol. I dont think the weather will be the best but who cares. Looking forward to just getting out. Anything more is a bonus!!

maddogmat said:
Went for a pan in Slaty Creek Creswick. Everyone seems to say there is plenty of fine gold. Found heaps of black sand but only one fly poo speck. I Followed what I thought was the heavies line in the creek ..ie the bigger rocks across inside bends... but no love. Should I be looking else where ie outside of creek bed...or do I just dig deeper?

Every man and his dog goes there and has flogged the crap out of it.

Go to spots that are hard to get to, all the easily accessed spots cop a hammering and you are just washing tailings.

maddogmat said:

Hey matey,

We film alot of vids for YouTube at different locations up at Slaty if you want to take a look? We're just starting out so only new to this lifestyle, but you can see in the vids which locations we've tried and where the water levels are at now.

If you're interested, the links are in the members YouTube section, or search for Dunky and the Rav3n on YouTube. We're always asking for feedback and advice, so check out the comments on the vids too, we've received alot of really helpful info from the awesomely friendly community here and on the channel and we always respond. :)

Hello, I'm brand new to metal detecting and I received a gold monster 1000 as a gift. I was wondering if anyone knew a spot that has some gold in it?
I want to try and get my partner interested, so any help would be appreciated!

Daniel541...I've just read through all your previous posts and pretty gobsmacked that you haven't even had the courtesy to respond in a positive manner to anyone who has replied to your (less than 10) posts since you joined up.

So seeing as no-one has replied to this post yet (plus it's been a very hot day and I'm a tad over people who lack "an attitude of gratitude", here's my 2 cents worth of assistance......

Look on Google for an online course on improving your social skills, then do your own research like all the committed and community minded people on here do, andif you're very lucky you may find where the REAL GOLD actually is.

Cheers :)

My apologies, never wanted anyone to feel like I was using them and being ungrateful :/

Sorry if I made you feel like that .. definitely wasn't my intention.

Im headed out there tomorrow for the first time. Not sure where along the creek Ill end up yet. Just going blind!

Update from 7 March, Water is flowing through at the moment. There were a ton of people out there for the Long Weekend and was getting hit pretty hard.

Found some about 300-400 m upstream in some exposed bedrock areas up past the fallen Tree waterfall place.

Parks were out and about checking miners rights, they were very cruisy and were more interested in making sure everyone was aware of the rules.

I test panned from Camp 3 all the way up to the exposed bedrock mostly only finding micro specks.

I will be back out there this Friday to try my luck again. If anyone has some locations to try and is happy to share please let me know.

yesterday. Pic not taken by me

1598871305_resized_20200830_115337_5461.jpg
O:)

Creek was flowing today, stopped and threw some water over my head and face, running very clean today - a few people in the camp grounds and a few on the tracks. Got ourselves hung up on some ruts pretending the Falcon wagon was a 4WD, wife wasn't impressed. Was our first time there so tried a few areas - and have to agree, if you can drive or walk to it with ease, expect to see thousand (not hundreds) of detector scrapings. One spot we detected for 2 hours and I got one lead shot.... The advice sounds good to go to the more remote areas, we hiked into one but must admit, without a 4WD that hike was a killer on the way out, there were much less signs of prospecting the further we went in. We were exhausted so didn't spend long there but certainly looked promising, a few bullets, no real rubbish.

Nah Mackka .Was driving close by. Thought I'd update for any members wanting to go have a pan. On lunch now around Talbot. Might put a couple more hours in then take off. Getting a bit too warm for me in the sun now..

Latest posts