Cooper tyres

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
Well my coopers let me down today. After my last set of coopers lasting over 120 000 km I went with them again. This morning I discovered that I have torn a side wall on one of my new ones. Not happy considering they have done less then 10000 km. I suspect i did it on ricks un a river crossinv I did over the weekend.

Anyway im sure I saw a post on here once about tyres and I commented on how good my coopers have been and someone said they have had a bad experiances with coopers doing side walls. Well it looks I may be eating my words.

shakergt said:
Well my coopers let me down today. After my last set of coopers lasting over 120 000 km I went with them again. This morning I discovered that I have torn a side wall on one of my new ones. Not happy considering they have done less then 10000 km. I suspect i did it on ricks un a river crossinv I did over the weekend.

Anyway im sure I saw a post on here once about tyres and I commented on how good my coopers have been and someone said they have had a bad experiances with coopers doing side walls. Well it looks I may be eating my words.

Sorry to hear that, I think the thread your talking about is the Tyre Gauge Thread I started where we were discussing BGF's and Coopers etc.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28146&p=1

There is a 4x4 getting around Darwin with dont buy cooper tyres painted on its rear windscreen! Dont know the reason though.

I had Cooper AT's and had 2 sidewall incidents. No cover for that. I also noticed that Coopers also advertised that they had made their sidewalls tougher.
I have used the E-tyre co. for 15 yrs now and no probs. Have a look at them. :)

I to have had two side wall failures on coops and they do not last as long as they used to, got 55000 out of the last set then went over to faulkens and got close to 70000 for half the price, now have a new 4x4 and have fitted it with faulkens as well.

so what is it about the Faulkens you blokes like?
For me, I need a tyre that is good on the highway but just as importantly, good off road, and MUST have good side walls.
I have had an exceptional run out of my set of BFG KO2's. But I am open for alternatives. The Faulkens would need to be as good or better in every way to the BFG's before Id experiment with them.

davent said:
For me, I need a tyre that is good on the highway but just as importantly, good off road, and MUST have good side walls.
I have had an exceptional run out of my set of BFG KO2's. But I am open for alternatives. The Faulkens would need to be as good or better in every way to the BFG's before Id experiment with them.

Ran BFGs for 3 years and never realised ho noisy they are until I fitted Falken Wildpeaks, considerably cheaper than BFGs and quiet, couldn't believe the change. Too early to tell how they wear but happy with them in the wet so far which is always a good start. Cost difference was a major consideration particularly when I need 11. :(

davent said:

Well for me and this is My opinion.... After using BFG Ko2's for say 8 months with no issues, the Rubber seems to get hard... In the Wet after this time I find that they will lock-up under heaving braking in the wet. Or when turning through a round-about they just slide.. To me they are bloody Dangerous... Yes they are a very tough tyre and I only run the 121 load rating and have had no issues on sidewalls at all... Its just in the wet ..... I have had several very close calls going down a paved road on a steep hill... They lock up and I just slide... As I said My opinion is after awhile they become hard and are very Dangerous... And I can Drift around a round-about without trying....

As for the Wildpeaks, I have the 117 load rating (max in my size) and I have purposely tried to lock them up or try and get the 4x4 sideways, just to see what their breakaway point is..,. And nothing.. I cant get the 4x4 sideways and I feel in the Wet they are a very safe Tyre compared to the KO2's.. If I was going on a long trip through the Desert or on a trip through the Red Centre with 90% dirt and rocks I would use Brand New KO2's, mainly for their 121 load rating and tough sidewalls.... But for on road and plain dirt trails, I would have the Wild peaks any day......

Price isn't really a factor... 265/70/16 121 load rating BFG KO2'S Cost me $275 ea from Tyroola or $365 ea from Bob Jane... (rip off merchants)

Wild peaks in the same size and a 117 load rating Cost me $225 ea from Action Tyres on the Gold Coast... or $330ea from Tyre power... (same comment as above)

So not much difference in rating or price but the wild peaks are the go for me Performance wise.... Had them on for over 9mths and not a sign of wear, and done heaps of rough stuff in them with no chips on the tread... Noise wise the Wild peaks are very quiet compared to the BFG's after 6mths use....

But as We all know, the bigger the tyre the more you will pay... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps Dave...

LW...

But of Course if you are buying 11 at a time then price is the deal breaker.... Gee Dihusky, really 11... :eek: :argh: You could have got a Fleet Discount for ol Lizzy... :lol: :cool:

LW...

I had Falken Wild Peaks on one of my earlier vehicles. Did 70k or thereabouts, good ride,quiet.

On my Prado I have Toyo at the moment. Will see how far these go compared to the Falkens. Quiet ride so far but only done around 10k thus far.

Falkens had their first real test 2 days ago, idiot did a U turn only metres ahead of me, hit the brakes so hard 5.6Tonne locked up on the wet road, or rather the 4 rears did, the front held grip, how I missed the bugger I don't know... kind of wished I'd hit the idiot, would have made an interesting imprint ;)

Latest posts