Cooper tyres

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
davent said:
so what is it about the Faulkens you blokes like?
For me, I need a tyre that is good on the highway but just as importantly, good off road, and MUST have good side walls.
I have had an exceptional run out of my set of BFG KO2's. But I am open for alternatives. The Faulkens would need to be as good or better in every way to the BFG's before Id experiment with them.

Well for me and this is My opinion.... After using BFG Ko2's for say 8 months with no issues, the Rubber seems to get hard... In the Wet after this time I find that they will lock-up under heaving braking in the wet. Or when turning through a round-about they just slide.. To me they are bloody Dangerous... Yes they are a very tough tyre and I only run the 121 load rating and have had no issues on sidewalls at all... Its just in the wet ..... I have had several very close calls going down a paved road on a steep hill... They lock up and I just slide... As I said My opinion is after awhile they become hard and are very Dangerous... And I can Drift around a round-about without trying....

As for the Wildpeaks, I have the 117 load rating (max in my size) and I have purposely tried to lock them up or try and get the 4x4 sideways, just to see what their breakaway point is..,. And nothing.. I cant get the 4x4 sideways and I feel in the Wet they are a very safe Tyre compared to the KO2's.. If I was going on a long trip through the Desert or on a trip through the Red Centre with 90% dirt and rocks I would use Brand New KO2's, mainly for their 121 load rating and tough sidewalls.... But for on road and plain dirt trails, I would have the Wild peaks any day......

Price isn't really a factor... 265/70/16 121 load rating BFG KO2'S Cost me $275 ea from Tyroola or $365 ea from Bob Jane... (rip off merchants)

Wild peaks in the same size and a 117 load rating Cost me $225 ea from Action Tyres on the Gold Coast... or $330ea from Tyre power... (same comment as above)

So not much difference in rating or price but the wild peaks are the go for me Performance wise.... Had them on for over 9mths and not a sign of wear, and done heaps of rough stuff in them with no chips on the tread... Noise wise the Wild peaks are very quiet compared to the BFG's after 6mths use....

But as We all know, the bigger the tyre the more you will pay... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps Dave...

LW...

Cheers LW. I have not experienced that problem with my KO2s. Had them for about 2 years now I think. Got a good deal on them, they threw in an ARB compressor when I got 4 new ones. Had 2 KOs kept for spares.(they have become hard now) but the KO2s perform well in the wet here.
Having said that, we dont have those big hills you get in FNQ! So no steep hair pins to worry about.

It seems like horses for courses, or maybe where and how the tyres are used, will likely contribute to the issues that people have. I am on my second set of BFG ATs at the moment, got >120,000km from the first set and not one puncture in that distance. Still had legal tread on them, replaced just because they were getting old.

Not all highway travel as I do volunteer work on farms and cattle stations and the conditions on some of those were really tough on tyres. Lots of old fences on the ground and across tracks at one where I was stuck by myself for 3 months in the west Pilbara.

Rob P.

I lived for many years in Karratha, and have spent half a lifetime driving on poor tracks & secondary roads.

Ive frequently been out on trips, with 3 drivers in 3 exactly similar company vehicles (usually Toyota Cruisers). All the same vehicle, same tyres, same pressures, same pre-start inspection routine etc. In one 7 day trip, two of us had zero tyre flats or failures. The remaining driver had three flats (two rock fractures and one puncture), and totally destroyed another two tyres. Three days in, he suggested his vehicle was either jinxed or fitted with crappy tyres. We swapped vehicles, and the failures always followed him.

All things being equal, Im pretty much of the opinion, that one of the biggest influences in tyre failures (assuming your tyres and vehicle are appropriate to what youre doing), is the driving habits of the driver. Bad tyres are bad tyres, but I suspect most good quality tyres are probably reasonably similar.

I did end up buying a set of Cooper STTs for my own vehicle (GU Patrol), and basically never had a flat or failure in the whole time I had them. Towards the end of their life however, I could never seem to get them balanced properly - great on the dirt, shook like a bugger on the black-top. I chose the STTs primarily because they had additional plys in the sidewalls, however Im not sure theyre still available.

Well my old ser of BFGs needed replacing.
They all started to split, which is a shame, because they still had reasonable tread, but I think I got 3 years out of them, and 75K.
I looked at new tyres, and stuck with them again. They were about $20 less per tyre than last I got them, and that was from Bob Jane. Great service.
While I was there, an older couple from WA pulled in , in a big RV camper thing. It was closing time, and the boys had just about finished my car.the RV needed an emergency change of all 4 tyres, as the ones on were not strong enough for load, and the driver had popped 2. He was on his way from Darwin to Perth.
At first they said come back tomorrow, but after they explained they had to get a move on before the WA minister called a stop to travel, they changed them on the spot for him. It was refreshing to see how good the service was.

The only tyres worth driving on in the bush with are maxxis razr or toyo open county. Both 10 to 13 ply depending on size, all the others are 3 to 4 ply.

I have the Toyo OC on the camper trailer and didn't haven't had a skerrick of trouble in the 15,000 klm drive around the country in 2007. It's kept under the house in the 2 car garage.

Just read some reviews on the BF Goodrich KO2,s.
Lots of criticism about them in the wet.
I personally have not had a problem with them in the wet......and our roads do get a bit wet up here from November to May.
I had a pretty good run out of my last set, 70,000 problem free Kms, no punctures or side wall problems, lots of off road, including around Tennent Creek, and if you know anything about off road down there, it is a nightmare, with burnt surpentine stumps protruding ankle high, and sharp to a point. There really is no tyre that is up to those though.
prior to using these tyres, i was getting one or two new replacements for my old Bravo every year.
Im sure there are much better tyres out there, but if someone wanted a set of good all purpose tyres, I wouldnt hesitate to suggest bFs.

The camper is under the house out of the sun the Pathy is parked behind it. I had some stabiliser jacks put on the rear of the trailer to stop waking the nearby campers. ;)

davent said:
Just read some reviews on the BF Goodrich KO2,s.
Lots of criticism about them in the wet.
I personally have not had a problem with them in the wet......and our roads do get a bit wet up here from November to May.
I had a pretty good run out of my last set, 70,000 problem free Kms, no punctures or side wall problems, lots of off road, including around Tennent Creek, and if you know anything about off road down there, it is a nightmare, with burnt surpentine stumps protruding ankle high, and sharp to a point. There really is no tyre that is up to those though.
prior to using these tyres, i was getting one or two new replacements for my old Bravo every year.
Im sure there are much better tyres out there, but if someone wanted a set of good all purpose tyres, I wouldnt hesitate to suggest bFs.

I am on my second set of BFG's, I swapped the first set because of age not issues, at 120,000km. You will often find that issues that people report with different brands have often contributed to the issues by the way that they were used.

Rob P.

Latest posts