Coiltek Gold Extreme 10x5

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

A couple of days ago a mate lent me his 10x5 Gold Extreme to play with on the SDC. He didnt have the accessory kit at that stage and I was volunteered to give this new coil a run. It was fitted to the machine and of course the first thing we all wanted to do was to perform and air test to make sure the coil was running OK. My mate had the standard coil fitted to his detector which provided us with an opportunity to do a quick comparison. Being a big fan of the capabilities and sensitivity of the standard coil, I decided to be a bit of a smart ar#e and pulled out the smallest bit of gold that I had found with my SDC. Sat it on the ground and placed a couple of sticks either side of it to run the coils over. This little bit of gold was a bugger to find with the standard coil. It barely made a whisper and was difficult to locate even when it was out of the hole. I already knew that my mates SDC would just identify this target. My intention was to take the p#ss out by setting up a situation where the Coiltek coil would fail to see this small piece of yellow. I was secretly grinning (on the inside) when we started the test. The standard coil picked up the target but only just. (As expected) There was a minor break in the threshold but no definite sound made. When the 10x5 was run over the target a definite audible dig me sound was heard. Wow...... that was quite amazing. I did not expect that to occur. Im not a fan of air tests at all but in this situation I was pleasantly surprised. Decided to keep the coil for a couple of days and run it through its paces. I wanted to see how it would perform in the field. Took it out onto some mullock heaps and made video footage of the four targets that I found that day. I must apologise in advance. Wont ever get a job on tv or reporting the news. Its raw footage spliced together. You only get one chance in this situation when it comes to digging a target. You can make your own minds up about this coil.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/DfUwywVuWwI[/video]

Hi Folks,

Had one final chance to use the 10x5 Gold Extreme before it was handed back to my mate. It has turned out to be an excellent coil. It was quiet, sensitive and a pleasure to push around. The only criticism I would have is that being a narrow coil, it does not move sideways as well as larger coils. If the ground is rocky, it can catch. (This is an issue that you would have with most small, narrow coils.) I was going to sell my 14x9 Extreme but have decided to keep it as it will cover a lot of bases when used in conjunction with the smaller 10x5. Time to save some pennies to add this little beast to the collection. Have a look at the YouTube clip that I put together after Tuesdays day out. Another four small pieces of gold. Was quite lucky in this area. No bits of junk found. Wish all spots were this clean.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_9ChvSfJ8Aw[/video]

Lesgold said:
Hi Folks,

Had one final chance to use the 10x5 Gold Extreme before it was handed back to my mate. It has turned out to be an excellent coil. It was quiet, sensitive and a pleasure to push around. The only criticism I would have is that being a narrow coil, it does not move sideways as well as larger coils. If the ground is rocky, it can catch. (This is an issue that you would have with most small, narrow coils.) I was going to sell my 14x9 Extreme but have decided to keep it as it will cover a lot of bases when used in conjunction with the smaller 10x5. Time to save some pennies to add this little beast to the collection. Have a look at the YouTube clip that I put together after Tuesdays day out. Another four small pieces of gold. Was quite lucky in this area. No bits of junk found. Wish all spots were this clean.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_9ChvSfJ8Aw[/video]

Hi Les, I see you are wearing gaiters when was the video taken to take such a prudent step and what are the critters down that part of the world that are of concern.

Thanks Harry

Hi Harry,
The video was shot on Tuesday. Saw a death adder on Sunday which surprised me a bit. Not prepared to take any chances even though its still cold.

Cheers

Les

G'day Les.great vid on the 10x5.the soil up there looks a lot less mineralised than down here in the GT.I wonder how noisy it would be in high mineralised ground.I have heard conflicting reports down this way,might buy one myself once I do more research.

Hi Dubbles,

Cant comment on that side of things. The ground is pretty good where I did the testing. The SDC was set on 5 with threshold at 3. Didnt have to alter any settings from the standard coil. As always, the machine is setup to suit the ground I run it in.

Cheers

Les

Gdayles haveyou tried the 14/9 much would be great to see what you think of it the 10/5 works well but I think the stock coil would find the bits you filmed only advantage I see is to poke it into tighter spots cheers Muk.

Hi Muk,

I havent used the 14x9. Only did some air tests with it. Decided to keep it after playing with my mates 10x5. The two coils would make a good set. One for ground coverage with more depth and the other for picking up the scraps. Out of the 8 bits of gold I found with the Coiltek 10x5, I could say that 6 of them would definitely have been picked up with the standard coil. The other two......dont know. This Coiltek coil is very sensitive and I believe it will outperform the standard coil on the small stuff. To be perfectly honest, I wasnt all that interested in trying the coil out in the first place as I reckon the standard coil is outstanding as far as sensitivity is concerned. Im trying to save some money to buy a zed but unfortunately this is a purchase that I will be making. The centre mount on the 10x5 is also a huge advantage when pushing the coil around. I would like to Use both to testing live, undug targets to really see where the strengths of each coil are. Test beds and air tests are only a starting point for examining the capabilities of each coil. Might be an interesting exercise to get underway. Will see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Les

Latest posts