Coiltek Gold Extreme 10x5 and 14x9 Comparison

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Decided to do a bit of testing today. Ive been using the Coiltek 10x5 Gold Extreme for quite a while now and its turned out to be a real killer on small gold. Have had the 14x9 sitting in the shed for months now but havent made the effort to do much work with it. Made the decision to do a bit of comparative testing to see how it worked in relation to the smaller coil. Now I would be the first to admit that planting targets is not really the best way of showing the true capabilities of a coil but I wanted a baseline as a starting point. Needed to know if it was going to be good enough to take to WA this winter, so the whole thing was purely a selfish task. Decided to film it so that I could look back and reflect later rather than trying to rely on memory. Anyway, I posted it, warts and all. Hopefully it will at least start some discussion and interest.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/xdLg88ZFEk4[/video]

Lesgold said:
Hi Folks

Decided to do a bit of testing today. Ive been using the Coiltek 10x5 Gold Extreme for quite a while now and its turned out to be a real killer on small gold. Have had the 14x9 sitting in the shed for months now but havent made the effort to do much work with it. Made the decision to do a bit of comparative testing to see how it worked in relation to the smaller coil. Now I would be the first to admit that planting targets is not really the best way of showing the true capabilities of a coil but I wanted a baseline as a starting point. Needed to know if it was going to be good enough to take to WA this winter, so the whole thing was purely a selfish task. Decided to film it so that I could look back and reflect later rather than trying to rely on memory. Anyway, I posted it, warts and all. Hopefully it will at least start some discussion and interest.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/xdLg88ZFEk4[/video]

Having not been out myself in many months Les I thank you for the tests , great comparison . I had been considering a 10 x 5 to go with my 14 x 9 and will be very interested in how the 14 x 9 goes in the west .

Thanks again and good luck

Bacchus :Y:

Thanks Bacchus,

The 10x5 is a very good coil. As you could see from the test, it performed very well for its size. My daughter was lucky enough to score a 2.5 grammer with it a few weeks ago. The spot she pulled it from was tight little hole between rocks in a creek bed. Not even the standard 8 coil would have fitted into that spot. This particular creek has been hammered with every type of machine over the years but its slim shape allowed access to an area that could not be detected otherwise. This is the type of situation where this coil comes into its own.
1582749507_1c3d346c-986f-45e3-9f52-8b85f8ca8c4d.jpg

Cheers

Les

I would very much like to see a comparison between the SDC 10x5 and 4500/5000 Sadie coil on those targets , the 10x5 may well be the Dyson picking up what the Sadie missed , who knows ?

Actually had that happen a couple of weeks ago. A mate ran his Sadie over a mullock heap and picked up a couple of pieces. He did a really good job of low and slow and covered that pile really well. A couple of days later, I went over the same area with the 10x5 just out of interest and picked up four more pieces. To be fair, two of them were very small and the other two were quite porous. Cant really say that it proves anything except the fact that I ended up with four pieces in my rattle jar........

Great review there Les..what about commenting on depth, whats your opinion on the depth of the 14x9 on say a target over a gram compared to the 10x5 coil. Any comments??? I see this as two coils that maybe compliment each other for those who only have a SDC2300.

Jack

Hi Jack,

A bit early to comment on that at the moment. When you take into account size shape and how the nugget is laying in the ground, results can vary considerably. As you know, there will be no halo effect from a planted target which then impacts on depth readings. The last nugget that I tested (about 13.5 grams) gave quite poor results with both coils (as you would have noticed).Perhaps it had something to do with how it was laying in the hole. Looks like this coil responds better to nuggets around that 1 gram mark and better. I think it will punch much deeper than the 10x5 but will need to test this in the field to confirm it. I agree totally with your last comment. The 14x9 will cover a lot of ground and hopefully find the larger, deeper targets and as for the 10x5....... well I hope there is a bunch of people who dont buy it. That gives blokes like you and I a bit of a advantage.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les do you think the 10/5 is better than the stock coil or do you think they are about the same I know you can poke it into tighter places but is it more sensitive? Great video cheers Muk.

Hi Muk,

I reckon it is. But both coils are very good. The 10x5 is a touch more sensitive on small bits but I think the standard coil may punch just a fraction deeper. (Havent tested this, its just a general observation.) I swap from one coil to the other as required but the 10x5 is the coil that lives on the sdc. Much prefer to use it over the standard coil.

Cheers

Les

Thanks for your reply might just wait till standard coil plays up if it ever does cheers Muk.

just got 19 " for my 7000 so i got to play with someting for next few months but im bit like muk, but the 7000 amazed how small the 7000 was finding ,but i like trying new things ,thanks les im still out there put a bigger coil on my 2300 thanks for the write up

Really, its all just play time and a bit of fun. Its a bit like when playing golf. You have just got to try that new carbon fibre driver cause it hits the ball a couple of metres further. Or perhaps that new flathead lure that catches more fish. I think we are all caught up in this type of hype from time to time. The main thing is to get out there, swing the stick around and enjoy the bush for what it is.

Cheers

Les

Good work. I know it takes a lot of self discipline to set up a test like that and film it, instead of just going out and having a swing, especially in juicy looking ground like that!

Just an observation, why are you pushing and pulling the 14x9" across the target instead of sweeping it side to side? With a round mono any direction doesn't really make a difference, but with an elliptical the field is more DD coil like, so easier to find the sweet spot sweeping across the target.

Good point Nenad. Ill have to change that in future videos. I find it hard to try to hold the phone stationary when using the sweeping action and have tended to get lazy and just push that sweet spot onto the target as I know where it is. Sweeping as I have done in the video does not reflect what should happen in reality so it has to change. Thanks again.

Cheers

Les

A mate of mine in his first season, just bought an SDC2300, 2nd hand, it came with the 14x9.
He is a very inexperienced user, but learning very quickly, and gaining experience quickly too!

He is nailing it with the 14x9. He started with the standard coil. Best nugget in this pic is 11.5 grams and at good depth. I watched him today, he ended up with 48 nuggets and speccies to my 22. (GPZ and 12" nugget finder z search) we ended up with close to the same weight though.

This pic is not from today BTW.

1624184644_received_1114541752410429.jpg

WOW ,thats a lot of digging :8
Any sunbakers? Margret diggings way?
Think i might have to sell the tinny and have a crack before its all gone. :playful: :clap:

Great coil on the SDC they all are well done fellas keep it going cheers muk.

Hey all

I am lookin to get a 14x9 coil for my SDC2300 and I am wanting to know which is the Best Coiltec , Nugget Finder , or Mine Lab. just wondering what you have found or are they equal.