Coil Choice In Relation To Target Size? GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new owner of a GPX5000, which came with 3 Minelab commander coils , the 11 "mono and 11" dd and the 5 "x10", and I want to buy a new coils, I would like to know if anyone Has already tested for the maximum depth in relation to the size of the target. let's say 1 gram of gold, what the best, the 12 "x 8" nugget finder evo, the 12 "or the 14x9 or the 15" or the 17 "x 13" or the 19 "or the 25" dd etc ... And then for 2 grams, and for 5 grams etc ...
to choose the best coil for the possible target sizes.

Hi hares7, there are many discussions hidden away throughout the forum and on YouTube. It comes down to there not being one coil for every occasion, they all perform differently in different grounds with different settings and respond differently to EMI, ground noise etc... Your best bet is to take some time and research - the Minelab YouTube videos are a good place to start or use the forum search function for "coil comparison". It comes down to personal preference, also one persons findings are not necessarily going to give the next persons identical results.

what your two coils suggestion choice for nugget 0.3g to 100g ,
one for small nugget what model?? 12x8xevo? 14"x9" evo
and one for bigger ??? 15" evo 17"x13" or 19" evo or 25"dd jugget finder,
and if you buy just one coils yous suggestion 15"evo 14"x9" evo or 12"x8"
ps: i have the whites gmx vlf for small nugget, but undocknow if the minelab gpx 5000 with 12x8 evo is better than gmx

I think it also depends greatly on the areas that you wish to detect, depth of regolith, depth history of nugget finds, whether you want to cover a lot of ground quickly, What "targets" you are looking for, Temperature and time of year, soil mineralisation of the area you are detecting, EMI on the day, and the bloody list goes on and on.

You say you have the Whites gmx vlf for small nuggets, but how small is small? Are we talking crumbs in the sub gram range, or bigger? Then you can also pull small nuggets deep in mineralised areas with a larger DD run in sharp on the 5000. I suspect depending on the size of the "small" nuggets you are talking about, the one detector/coil set-up will out perform the other, when all of the above variables (and more) are taken into consideration on the day.

I only search for big stuff in deeper large gold areas in Vic with a large coil on the 5000, and anything small that I may happen to find I consider bycatch. Having said that, if you are going to simply detect and slavishly follow the same hammered gullies and well known areas that 95% of the detecting population do, those areas have been hammered so hard, and picked over by so many different set-ups that you will probably be lucky to find tiddlers if any.

We are all different. I don't need to come home with gold every time I go out to consider it a good day out. We all have different attitudes to risk, and sure it all adds up, but then so does your time walking this planet potentially missing big targets just so you can walk around with a little film canister in your pocket to pull out and show off at the next BBQ.

The deepest I've pulled anything out of the ground is around 700mm deep with the stock 11" DD minelab commander coil, but that was a complete 1850's miners pick-head at the foot of Mt Moliagul in wet ground, and the thing was probably about 18 inches to 2 feet long, rusty steel, and probably had a huge mineralised halo around it from the last 150 years of corrosion. It started off as the faintest of signals that I almost missed, and only grew to a fully recognizable signal the deeper I dug.

I've had a good go around Rheola and found little (bearing in mind that most of the biggies around there were found at eight or nine feet deep or more, and no detector with any kind of coil, on any kind of day will find anything that deep). But I have pulled a 1.5 grammer with the 25" DD-X NF in mineralised soil, in an area with lots of annoying charcoal, a couple of hundred mm max down, on a freezing cold morning when the sun was barely up, and I could run the 25 in sharp and the gain higher than usual, and there was bugger all interference.

I've never used a VLF myself, but personally I think if you've got something good for the crumbs and you want to find stuff bigger than that, you couldn't go wrong just playing around with the two 11" commanders, DD and Mono that come with the 5000.

Just my thoughts, and Merry Christmas

-D.S

Thanks deepseeker, for your suggestions, where i want detect is in small creeks,in Canada, is not Australia , the nugget is very hard to find, the area have some hot rock , and few metal trash,for this reason i check nugget finder 25" dd, because is waterproof to 1 meter, since many year a lot of person detect at each year this creeks with vlf, but never seen with gpx 'it's for reason i buy a gpx 5000 , i want find nugget, for this reason i search a waterproof coil can go deeper than vlf, i know a person find 1.5g and other 15 grams and 3.5 oz , but it's scarse.
Have 2 questions
Does the 25' dd nugget finder go deeper than a 15" evo on one 1 gram nugget ?
or From what size of nugget the 25"dd go deeper than the 15" evo?

Have you used the 5000 in the ground there yet?
Can it be run in sharp or normal?
Sure it could be run I fine gold. A 17x13 mono would be a good choice I think, swinging a 25 underwater would be pretty difficult Id imagine, even a 17x13 might be hard. Is the creek running water? Even a 14x9 will pick up big bits at good depth, especially in normal. Be easier to move it under water.

no my gpx is in mail , 10 at 20% in water but no deep water, i can try it in april after the ice are gone, but what the reason the people choice 17x13 evo or 14x9 evo over the 15" evo?

elipitical coils are easier to pin point with, and cover more ground per sweep, whilst retaining similar depth as a round coil, also able to poke into difficult shaped places compared to rounds. Rounds get a little better depth, and sometimes less EMI.

thanks all for your recommandation and info,
i have received my gpx5000, it's a 2011 model but it's brand new, and yes is genuine i verified with minelab, i buy a nugget finder 14x9 evolution , for the bigger coil hesitate between 19" evolution and 17x13 evolution , but the 19" for me it's better , i want better depth, i want go deeper than other person pass before me , the 25 dd x it's to much big for me, and it's pratiquely the same depth of 19",

ps : excuse my english i speak mostly french.

Latest posts