Coil advice for the 4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been swinging my 4500 with a detech 12" mono coil which belongs to a mate. He is happy for me to use it but I feel like a bit of a bum scratching and dirtying up his coil. Time to put my hand in my pocket and get my own new coil!
My question is what should I get? I already have the standard early gpx series 12 and a 14x9 mono gold stalker but the 14x9 seems noisy :rolleyes:
I will be detecting mostly from Castlemaine all the way up to Inglewood :)
Is the 14" elite the way to go??
TIA!
Mat

Hi the 14 elite and 12 nugget finder are both very sensitive on both large and small gold. Both work well around the gt. The 14 elite maybe a little touch sensitive but a really good coil and cheaper than the nf. If money was not an issue I would go the 12 nf or 12x8 nf. There are a number of secondhand ones around which will save you some money. Nf is around $520 new and the elite is $450 new.
On youtube search minelab gold for the 14 elite experience.

cheers

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi the 14 elite and 12 nugget finder are both very sensitive on both large and small gold. Both work well around the gt. The 14 elite maybe a little touch sensitive but a really good coil and cheaper than the nf. If money was not an issue I would go the 12 nf or 12x8 nf. There are a number of secondhand ones around which will save you some money. Nf is around $520 new and the elite is $450 new.
On youtube search minelab gold for the 14 elite experience.

cheers

Thanks HH!
I watch Minelabgold all the time on YouTube. His videos are great. Yours aren't bad either ;)
I'm working most of the way through Xmas so I think I deserve a little treat :) NF it is!
:cool:

toadskin said:
The 14" Coiltek Camo is a great coil but not particularly rugged. The NF 12" Evo is every bit as good +, and is a much more robust design.

I am fairly ham fisted so the more Rugged the better :lol:

Nightjar said:
Swung the original 11" Minelab Commander for 10 years.
Found gold down to 0.07g so stuck with the coil designed for the machine.
Looking for new ground swung a NF20"

Best of luck with what ever you choose.

Maybe I should take my standard coil to the test patch at Inglewood and see how it compares to the detech

Done a fair bit of testing when the NF Evo's first came out and found that they consistently had an edge over the Advantage coils in both depth and sensitivity. Like Nightjar says the original Minelab 11"commander was great and every bit as good as the NF Advantage coils. Testing the Commander15"x12" against the NF 17"x 13" did however convince me to go Evo almost immediately. The 4500 and the 5000 are pretty much on par when it comes to comparisons and it's the operator that makes the biggest difference so coil choice for either machine would be about the same.

I've personally run the 5000 since they first came out and all things said and done, it's still my detector of choice for a lot of reasons I won't elaborate on here. Being a bit of a "coil hoarder" I've tried most over the years and come to the conclusion you really only need three coils and not 20 as I have in my cluttered cupboard. If you had a NF Sadie, a 12" round NF Evo, and a17"x13" NF Evo you would cover nearly all scenarios Australia wide and be swinging with confidence....confidence being the operative word.....Just what has worked extremely well for me....Wal.

Last edited: