Clay gully coffs harbour

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its any help, many years ago I worked in Coffs. with Bert Macanally, nephew of the 2 brothers who had the quite successful gold mines/stamper setup. I think we went out through Lowanna to get there, a Holden Kingswood did it with no trouble.

The idea was to pan the creeks and we certainly got colour in every pan. The leeches had a fair claim over the territory however and it was a very short lived project.

Would like to visit the area again one day, just to sit and listen to the variety of bird calls makes it all worthwhile (I think the lyre bird may be responsible for some of them!!)
mike

Doubt the Kingswood would get through some of the areas now... There are several ways to get in there and most tracks meet up with a main track somewhere... Problem is if no logging is happening in the area, the tracks won't be graded for quite some time... I have never seen a grader doing work up there unless they are going to log near-by....
Gods country that's for sure....

LW....

G'day guys,

I've just joined this forum, seeing that this is a recent thread and I've just started prospecting around the Coffs area so thought I might be able to get some advice.

I'm looking forward to heading up to Clay Gully this weekend, I've also just purchased a detector so will bring that along.

I normally pan along Nana Creek, which has just enough gold to keep me interested, but it's hard work getting it.

Is there any point detecting around the Clay Gully area, or am I better off just crevicing and panning?

Cheers
Ben

Has anyone done any good in stars creek?
It looked the go.
I drove in there once for a quick look...... towing a box trailer... Big mistake. Jumping the creek crossing with it on was a challenge, and turning around was a wild effort.
Highly recommend plenty of repellent. Mozzies galore !
And could not find a place to pitch a swag even.
Looked at staying at a pub for the night just a little back towards Coffs.
Walked into the room and walked straight back out, with a big "HELL NO" at reception.
Stank of pizz! But the pub itself looked great.

Most of the creeks has Gold in them... Problem is there aren't too many early reports on the area due to the mining wardens office burning down... There is a very good book to read that gives you plenty of info on Coffs area... Titled 'Georges Gold mine' by George Robb... Well worth a read... Coffs library has a copy or you can download it with a google search...

As for Stars Creek? never herd of it ... And I know the area very well MH, ... But it wouldn't surprise me as most creeks has Gold in them..

Welcome to PA Ben, when you get your posts up to 10, you can PM(private message) ;) ...
Have a look for 'Bluecurrant', a Coffs Harbour members posts in Alluvial Gold Prospecting section...

You won't get in there ATM due to the Bushfire and the ALL state forests in northern NSW are closed until further notice... It will be a long time before they will re-open.

LW...

I am up that way...

I have not been out as I am unsure where I can get in as I don't have a 4w drive....

Goody

Thanks for the info LoneWolf, I'll try track down that book!

Looks like Orara West is still open (not sure why, but the forestry website has it as the only one still open) so that might have to do for a while.

goody2shoes said:
I am up that way...

I have not been out as I am unsure where I can get in as I don't have a 4w drive....

Goody

You would get most AWD off road type cars down to Nana Creek, it's pretty easy going if you follow Bella Spur road from Eastern Dorrigo Way, would just have to take it easy in a few spots

LoneWolf said:
Most of the creeks has Gold in them... Problem is there aren't too many early reports on the area due to the mining wardens office burning down... There is a very good book to read that gives you plenty of info on Coffs area... Titled 'Georges Gold mine' by George Robb... Well worth a read... Coffs library has a copy or you can download it with a google search...

As for Stars Creek? never herd of it ... And I know the area very well MH, ... But it wouldn't surprise me as most creeks has Gold in them..

Welcome to PA Ben, when you get your posts up to 10, you can PM(private message) ;) ...
Have a look for 'Bluecurrant', a Coffs Harbour members posts in Alluvial Gold Prospecting section...

You won't get in there ATM due to the Bushfire and the ALL state forests in northern NSW are closed until further notice... It will be a long time before they will re-open.

LW...

Wow!! Assuming his posts are from the Coffs area then that is unreal!! I'm itching to get out this weekend (in East Orara at least) and have a play with my new detector! :D

Starts creek is close to Orara area. Has a lot of little gullies leading into it. Rav4 = above is recommended. Looks like a slippery place when wet.

I'll be out in East Orara at some point this weekend, if you see a little white truck (literally, tiny imported kei truck from japan) and a bloke swinging a QED then come say hello! :)

Stars creek is just past Coramba, turn left and head towards stars creek rd. Not far from that point you will see a dirt rd , follow that for a while in p art some private properties

When we lived in Coffs (1960's) there was an old chap still snigging logs with a bullock team just out of Coramba on Stars creek.
I think Karangi Minerals were looking for copper there also.
As has been well documented and pointed out, all the creeks carry gold, just locating where it has shed from is the problem.
mike

We have had a lot of rain over the last few days in the Orara valley. The fires are defiantly out now the Deus ORX is on charge. Ive got a few days off work so time to have a scrape around.
Wish me Lady Luck gals and guys.

Ozcruiser said:
We have had a lot of rain over the last few days in the Orara valley. The fires are defiantly out now the Deus ORX is on charge. Ive got a few days off work so time to have a scrape around.
Wish me Lady Luck gals and guys.

Unreal, I might see you up there over the the next week! :Y:

Latest posts