Check your radiator fans for age related damage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out detecting on Saturday arvo and on the way back to camp the engine in the Patrol became unbalanced.
On Sunday morning when I went out to have a look at the engine I found that 3 of the blades on the radiator fan were missing.
It appears that one of the fins had an age crack in it and gave way taking the other 2 fins with it. I was very lucky that they didnt go through the radiator. The fan looks original so that makes it about 24 years old.
20220314_123956.jpg

Not being able to really use the Patrol while waiting for the new fan to arrive I decided to strip down the engine to replace a worn cylinder sleeve. While hammering the new sleeve into position the bock of timber that I had on top of the sleeve snapped causing the side of the new sleeve to fracture. Not Happy.
20220314_094905.jpg

Ive ordered a replacement sleeve but now will have a 10 km walk into town to pick it up when it gets here.. Im hopping that the lease holder next door gets up here this week and can give me a lift

So before you head out into the scrub this season check your fan and if its starting to yellow with age consider replacing it.
I was very lucky that the broken fins didnt go throught the radiator.

When you try and fit the next one, stick it in the freezer for 24hrs or so and when you go to fit it get it from the freezer to the Block really quick and slot it in pretty rappid and it should go in a bit easier, 👍

Good Luck.
Totally agree RR, we used that method when replacing bronze bushes in mining equipment. Put them in a container with dry ice to transport them from freezer to worksite.

Totally agree RR, we used that method when replacing bronze bushes in mining equipment. Put them in a container with dry ice to transport them from freezer to worksite.
Yeah NJ, I learned that back many moons ago, The old ways are still the best, 👍

I know how to replace a cylinder sleeve. It had been in the freezer at - 22 for 12 hours.
It was going in nicely until the timber block snapped causing it to push into the sleeve pushing it out of round and splitting it. Next time I will use a thicker bit of timber

I'm just a bit blown away by you have a broken fan, and whilst waiting for a new fan, decide to do an engine rebuild, with a cylinder sleeve you had 'on hand' ........at camp!!! 😲
I already knew I had an issue with a worn sleeve so had bought one and was just waiting for a suitable time to do the work. When i hit the road full time 5 years ago I made sure that I had all the tools required to do and engine rebuild anywhere

Last edited:
BB you could have just removed the blades to get rid of the unbalance and kept driving? The fan once moving does nothing as it takes little road speed to move more across the radiator core than the blades pull. Just don't sit stationary with engine running.

I did think of that but as Im planing to move camp shortlly and will be towing the camper I needed to replace it The new cylider sleeve should be here by friday so hopefully I will be rebuilding engine Saturday. Ive had the fan sent expres post from Vic so Im not expecting that for a month or more with the current pathetic service that auspost is providing so I will be driving around with out a fan until then. Ill just drive everywhere at 100 kmph:D

Same thing happened to my tractor about 3 weeks ago. I noticed it getting hotter than usual. Touched a blade and it just crumbled. It is 16 years old. Fan looks identical but center hub is different obviously. My fan only took 3 days from Vic to Qld. Probably from the same vendor.

Pics here on another forum.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=48670159&postcount=5168

Last edited:

Latest posts