Satellite communicators - Spot, Zoleo, Garmin Inreach etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delorme inreach is an option for two way text messaging and sos capability. You can also interface them to your smartphone to send/receive. I reckon they hit the mark for real time tracking in case you have an accident plus the two way texting for contact for when you are on your own.
Jon

Hi Folks. I am a motorcycle rider and i purchased the Garmin Inreach last year. Thought it worth a review... cost around $750

First of all as a personal safety device it is excellent.

It is NOT a great GPS, My favourite GPS is a Garmin Montana (Bike) or Garmin GPS 64ST (handheld) ... both of these connect with Garmin Base Camp, the Inreach DOES NOT

But where this thing excels is as a PLB and satellite communication, Personal Tracking and "Back to Camp" directions

I am a regular traveller so i paid $39 to register on the immersat system and $20 per month for the ability to send text messages via satellite. I can send and receive texts from anywhere in the world to anyone including emergency services if needed

It has a SOS function, exactly the same as any PLB or epirb device

It is paired with my mobile phone giving me a larger viewing screen for the maps and ability to text anyone on my contact list VIA SATELLITE FROM ANYWHERE... i only get 10 free texts. After that i begin to pay 75c per message both inbound and outbound.. cheap in an emergency... battery use is high in my phone when paired

The tracking function is awesome. My partner at home can check in on my location at any time. If i were to crash my bike she will see that i have stopped unexpectedly and can raise the alarm if i am unable

Emergency services can communicate with me via text. They can locate me and also see via tracking how i got i to my often remote location

It has a lithium battery that runs around 60 hours between charges and a carabiner to clip onto my harness. I keep it on my person at all times

Overall this is a great peace of mind and vital part of my kit. If it could pair with Garmin Base Camp it would be perfect.
Totally agree with your review. I have had a Garmin InReach for +4 years.

It lives in the 4WD & then in back pocket when prospecting, boating, flying etc.
Limited functionality but it does the key stuff well ie global SMS & location tracking, long battery life, very small size.

Ability to comm directly with breakdown services etc when needed is big bonus but who you want to talk to needs to be figured out beforehand as need their mobile number to text to, or someone to relay the message for you ( wife :). RAC 1800 number wont be much use to you.

Still carry PLB.

Have used a Spot tracker for years, never had a problem with it. Carry it on me all the time so can hit the emergency button to summons help if required, the pre programmed message lets family know I'm ok each night. A cigarette lighter lives in my pocket when out bush, signal fire / warmth if needed, GPS , a trackback, set spare batteries and Water..

I've mentioned this before. The Spot messenger was awesome for years with testing.

The one time I rolled the 4wd and needed 'non urgent assistance', it let every body know, with a gps coordinate of 000' 000' 00'.
Not ideal until I finally got to a phone and rang the panicking wife to explain where I was.

Complaints to the SPOT mob just had them saying that I must have been under trees with little GPS coverage. Hmm.. not!

Needless to say, the USELESS Spot messenger went in the bin and we bought a sat phone.

I've just bought my 80yo Dad an inreach GPS as he still likes to travel around in his campervan, but doesn't go extreme bush.

I think, as a bare minimum, a PLB is a requirement for remote trips.

Latest posts