Satellite communicators - Spot, Zoleo, Garmin Inreach etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks.If anyone is looking for an emergency comm's device,take a look at the Spot Gen 3.I am currently in W.A.prospecting and have just bought one.It's great for mapping,checking in to let people know you are ok and also works as an epirb.200 dollars for the device,200 dollars for the annual subscription I have been sending my own co-ordinates to my email address, and it works globally.The mining co's are using them for mapping and emergencies.I find it to be very useful,granted it is a little more expensive than an epirb,but you also get much more stuff.Cheers,happy hunting.

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has or uses a "spot Gen 3" eperb. Are they any good.
1433330081__57_1.jpg

Thanks

not an epirb

think of it as a gps attached to a satellite phone that only sms's your location to specific phone numbers (pre programed or emergency services)

there are pros and cons for these in emergency situations

they are really good at tracking progress / letting your loved ones know your progress on a trip

cheers

jason

How much are they? Good idea i reckon. Especially if you don't need the full epirb. Problem is if they only run in conjunction with sat phone.

I'm heading west for a month by myself and my wife worries. But i thought i would need or want a iperb as well.

Cheers mate. Personal epirbs are great if you're out in the scrub by yourself i reckon. I'm often in the mountains away from phone reception etc and my wifes the same. I'll check them out, thanks.

i had an earlier SPOT version - replaced it with a second hand satphone and telstra prepaid SIM

sorry if i confused you... a SPOT Tracker sends to the satellite network (there are 2 satellite networks each once again with pros and cons) no separate satphone needed

do u want it for emergencies (PLB), status non criticle location alerts (SPOT), or general communications (SatPhone)

http://www.epirb.com/difference_between_EPIRBs_PLBs.php

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/

toecutta said:
i had an earlier SPOT version - replaced it with a second hand satphone and telstra prepaid SIM

sorry if i confused you... a SPOT Tracker sends to the satellite network (there are 2 satellite networks each once again with pros and cons) no separate satphone needed

do u want it for emergencies (PLB), status non criticle location alerts (SPOT), or general communications (SatPhone)

http://www.epirb.com/difference_between_EPIRBs_PLBs.php

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/

Hi Toecutta.

I walk a fair way from the camp and car when out west looking for the elusive patch, havn't found one yet, But i don'r think i would carry the heavy sat phone on me. That may sound silly as the epirb may be the same weight.
I thought of a sat phone but would leave at camp or car??????

Maybe i should do that???

JR

I didn't know either about the site sponsor. I like the look of that small hand epirb. Will investigate. Cheers westaus.

Just my opinion but if I was going to WA & going to be alone I would not be without a satellite phone at anytime. Anything else wouldn't be adequate in my opinion & its the only way to know for sure that you have reached some type of emergency contact or other contact "promptly" - nothing else can let you know that.
For me a sat phone will be my next purchase to compliment my PLB which will then become a last resort back-up.

I have both a Sat phone and an Epirb, plus Rino GPS/UHF and mobile phone, so what I take, each day while actually detecting will depend on how far I will be from the vehicle and/or others. I will rarely take all units due to the weight & bulk, but play it by ear, using what I hope is common sense.

The spot wouldn't be suitable for my situation, but I can envisage situations where others could find them very handy.

Rob.

PabloP said:
I have both a Sat phone and an Epirb, plus Rino GPS/UHF and mobile phone, so what I take, each day while actually detecting will depend on how far I will be from the vehicle and/or others. I will rarely take all units due to the weight & bulk, but play it by ear, using what I hope is common sense.

The spot wouldn't be suitable for my situation, but I can envisage situations where others could find them very handy.

Rob.
Think i may get a sat phone and a Eperb know.
I just bought a couple of those Rino radios just need to upload maps etc. That's a pest.
I bought two so that when my wife goes with me we can communicate. She doesn't detect so stays at camp and reads books.

Delorme inreach is an option for two way text messaging and sos capability. You can also interface them to your smartphone to send/receive. I reckon they hit the mark for real time tracking in case you have an accident plus the two way texting for contact for when you are on your own.
Jon

Latest posts