Chasing coins!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
Well after reading a lot of the posts hear I decided to go for a swing at around our local community centre, I have had a look here before & got a few coins for my trouble.
So with about 3/4 of an hour to spare before I had to pick up the kids from school, I went for another look with my "Gold Bug Pro" man there were target everywhere, as this is a bit of a watering hole on Friday nights, there is a lot of pull tabs & bottle caps, I have to do some more testing to get a better idea on the target ID on the Bug but I picked up 2 $2 coins for my effort, I think I need to invest in a pin-pointer to make thing easier.
Thanks for motivation, I think if I do this often & clean out the targets I should get some good results as they have started having a market at this spot so should be more coins drops.
cheers
Lee

Good onya RC, nothing like the thrill of the hunt to get you motivated.

You can completely discriminate out pulltabs on the GB Pro, leaving just the major coins and silver to be found, and the odd aluminium bottle cap. Of course that will be at the expense of gold jewellery, but you can't have it both ways unless you want dig every piece of junk. ;)

Hey Goldpick
Good to know, I don't think there will be many bits of Gold jewellery at this spot, but I guess you never know until you dig it up, what numbers do the pull tabs give you mostly? I am off "Prospecting" for 4 day's so I will do some testing of different atrgets with the Bug when I get home.

Hey Ramjet
Yeah mate I think a probe is a must for this style of detecting where you need to keep the excavation the a minimum!!!!! never been an issue for me on the "Goldfields" :)
cheers
Lee

Modern pull tabs ring up at 64-65, and older ring pulls or beaver tails come up at 68 (please remember these as only air tests). If you have no choice but to use discrimination at a real junky site, a setting of 75 will completely silence all pull tabs, but also get rid of 5, 10, 20 & 50c coins, but still allow 1c, 2c, $1, $2, all pre-decs bar the more modern threepence with lesser silver content, and still get silver jewellery.

Set discrimination back to 74, and you will get low tones on 50c and beaver tails, whilst still silencing modern pull tabs. You could wind back the discrimination a bit more to say 70, and get low tones for all pull tabs, plus still be able to pick up 20c and 50c, albeit with a low tone as well. That's when you utilise the pinpoint mode to scan the object to check its response, coins tend to have a more mellow response, whereas pull tabs and other aluminium tend to be quite harsh and sharp.

You do have to remember though, target ID's can change when in the ground, especially on deeper pre decimals which can have a lower ID number by a couple of digits. So you may inadvertently discriminate out some targets by accident when setting the discrimination by air testing various targets, as I have done above. Best method is to bury some targets to see how the detector reacts on various discrimination settings.

Other than that, you can just stick to discriminating out iron and identify all targets going by their ID's and tones, but this can get very tiring in real junky parks. :)

I vary swing speed across my target and tend to find the sound doesn't change on various passes with coins yet pull tabs and caps tend to spike especially when closer to the surface

Hey Golpick
Mate I did a quick test with the 75 ID & 74, just at home but it works a treat !!!! I should be able to cover this area a lot quicker & pick up some pocket money,
cheers
Lee

Ferozn1 said:
I vary swing speed across my target and tend to find the sound doesn't change on various passes with coins yet pull tabs and caps tend to spike especially when closer to the surface

Yep fairly true for most tectas. when you find /dig a pulltab, note the readout no./ value. same for other targets too. it won't always be exactly the same readout, due to soil conditions etc, but the sound will be a good indicator.

rc62burke said:
Hey Golpick
Mate I did a quick test with the 75 ID & 74, just at home but it works a treat !!!! I should be able to cover this area a lot quicker & pick up some pocket money,
cheers
Lee

No probs, let us know how you go, will be expecting a swag of coins! ;)

slipped disc said:
Ferozn1 said:

Yep fairly true for most tectas. when you find /dig a pulltab, note the readout no./ value. same for other targets too. it won't always be exactly the same readout, due to soil conditions etc, but the sound will be a good indicator.
If you change the angle of your sweep coins will tend to ring very strong and true from multiple angles. Until an aly screw top or nice flat piece of high conductivity settles in on the right flat side angle but strongly orientated toward the coins favor.

Hi All
I did another sweep of the area today for 1/2 hr & got $6.05 ( I specked the 5c)

Hey Goldpick that ID setting works a treat !!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Latest posts